Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 05-05-2015, 02:29 PM   #1  
Reluctant Runner

S/C/G: 255/229/150

Height: 5'7"

Lightbulb I decided to run the Disney Princess Half Marathon next Feb.

I decided yesterday that I'm going to run the half.

As a 100% non-runner as of three weeks ago, this is pretty major for me.

Last night when I ran, I seriously found my groove and figured out the right pace for me. I've been majorly overexerting myself lately and not realizing it. When I chatted with my dad this weekend (he runs over 40 miles a week like its nothing) he suggested I'm pushing myself too hard and need to run at the slowest pace I can manage without walking, and I should be able to do that for an extended period of time. I laughed, because a few days before that I ran for as long as I could and made it a whopping total of.... .28 miles. Yep.

Well, last night I tried following his advice and HOLY CRAP. I ran nearly two miles with only a minute or so total of short walking breaks. WHAT?!? I hate telling my dad he's right, but wow. As soon as I finished running I felt amazing and accomplished and I couldn't believe I had just RUN for over 10 minutes at a time without stopping! My shins didn't hurt, my calves weren't burning, my feet weren't sore.... It was like magic! And believe it or not, my pace was better than when I ran hard with short walk breaks!

I suddenly realized that running a half marathon next february is not only an attainable goal, but something I might actually find enjoyable.

So, I'm starting out with attempting a 5k at the end of June. Then maybe a 10k this fall. And in Sept, I'm going to start training for the half.

Ok, advice, anyone? Hit me!
VegTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 10:12 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 255/see ticker/145

Height: 5'4

I don't think I could give better advice than your Dad's. What he said is the key to learning to love running. You really can't run too slowly. What's most important for a beginning runner is time on your feet, strengthening your tendons, muscles, and cardiovascular system. It's easier to learn to run with good form when you're not running so hard you're sucking wind.

Always listen to your body. It will tell you when it's ready to push your pace and when to give it more time to adjust.

Congrats on your accomplishment and good luck with your upcoming races.
Streudel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 11:34 PM   #3  
waisting away

S/C/G: Too Much/Getting There/Healthy

Height: 5' 8"

The princess half is so much fun. I'd be happy to talk to you about race specific advice - like stay at a Disney hotel. They provide transportation to and from the race. It makes a HUGE difference. Otherwise you can fight for hours in traffic - which really sucks for such an early race. Let me know if you have questions about the specific race. :-) you'll do great.
gatorgirl6 is offline   Reply With Quote