Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 04-16-2015, 06:36 PM   #1  
Reluctant Runner

S/C/G: 255/229/150

Height: 5'7"

Default There needs to be a pre-c25k app.

For real.

A couple of years ago I started "running" and lost 60 pounds.

By "running", I mean that I literally did (or, more accurately, attempted) WEEK 1 DAY 1 OF C25K FOR SIX MONTHS. This is not a joke. I was in shape enough that I could stay on the elliptical for an hour and a half at full speed and burn 1100 calories, yet I was still not able to complete all nine runs of W1/D1.

So, I've gained weight back again and am back at it... doing W1/D1 again. I still can't fully complete all of the runs. Doesn't it seem kind of backwards that you need to ease yourself into the first day of the C25k program? Isn't that the point?

I guess I'm just frustrated. I want to run, and I want to be good at it. I always thought C25k was my answer. I do want to work my way up to doing it, but I wish there were an app tailored to me and my current running ability. I could devise my own running plan, but it's just not the same!

Does anyone know of an app like this that exists? Maybe that starts you out at 30s/30s or something? I can run a solid minute but by the sixth or seventh run I have to skip the whole thing I'm so tired (muscle-wise) and winded.

Wahhhh.
VegTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 07:44 PM   #2  
me

S/C/G: 299/135/fit

Wish I could help, but if I were you I'd probably try to make my own plan I remember doing C25k when I was at my heaviest and wow it was exhausting.

C25k was sooooooo hard for me when I first started, and while I can now run a 5k (slowly) I still get frustrated with running
kisskiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 10:22 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 416 / 363.4 / 250

Height: 5'9"

I hear ya. I tried to do C2K5 this time last year, and I did okay on the first and second week, and then by the 3rd week (3 min walk / 3 min jog) I was cheating badly. My calves almost always cramp up during a brisk walk/slow jog, so I was pretty uncomfortable (even with properly fitted running shoes!).
MaeCrochet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 03:23 PM   #4  
Reluctant Runner

It really is super tough! I may end up making my own plan, or just jogging until my heart rate is high and walking until it drops down. Hopefully if I do that for a while I'll build up some more endurance when it comes to running?

My calves seriously cramp, too! It's usually not even that I get very winded, it's mostly just parts of my body hurting. I'm 24! My body shouldn't be hurting! Sigh.
Old 04-21-2015, 03:32 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 242/150/140

OK. Ex ultra runner here...just restarting after a break.

When I first started running I could not manage C25K. It is way to hard for seriously unfit, overweight people like I was. But I did manage to start running, and ended up running mountain races, marathons and even an ultra.

So...here goes. Dump the app.

Put your running shoes on and walk for 5 minutes to warm up. Then jog until you want to stop. Time how long this was. 1 minute? The next lamp-post? 20 steps? 5 steps? It doesn't matter, this is your starting point and it only gets better from here.

Week one. Walk 5 minutes. Do your 'run' no matter how short. Don't try and extend it...you have the rest of your life to run every day, don't blow it at this point! Then walk 1 minute and do your run again! Repeat until you have done your run 5 times with a 1 minute walk between. Then walk home.

Week 2 the same but extend your run. If you ran one lamp-post try for 2 this week. If you ran 10 steps go for 15. Etc. each week build it up, but slowly. This should be achievable, but fun. After a couple of months you will find you can run longer stretches at a time, and you will be on your way

Another really really important rule, in fact the most important when starting out.

Never run for more than 2 days in a row, never rest for more than 2 days in a row!

I tried to run alternate days in the beginning, so I could grab the extra rest day if life was against me. Never running more than 2 helps prevent injury. Never resting more than 2 helps prevent backsliding. So at a minimum you would run Sunday, take mon and Tuesday off, run Wednesday, Thursday and Friday off, run Saturday etc. at a max run sun and min, tues off, run we'd and thurs, fri off, run sat, sun, Monday off etc.

It takes time to build up to a point where you are losing weight running (we reckon to actually lose weight you need 7 hours running a week) but in the meantime, you will be happier and healthier, look so much better and be proud of yourself. And in a years time you will be running 6 days a week, an hour a day and 2 hours one day at the weekend! How cool is that!
autodidact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 03:51 PM   #6  
Reluctant Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by autodidact View Post
OK. Ex ultra runner here...just restarting after a break.

When I first started running I could not manage C25K. It is way to hard for seriously unfit, overweight people like I was. But I did manage to start running, and ended up running mountain races, marathons and even an ultra.

So...here goes. Dump the app.

Put your running shoes on and walk for 5 minutes to warm up. Then jog until you want to stop. Time how long this was. 1 minute? The next lamp-post? 20 steps? 5 steps? It doesn't matter, this is your starting point and it only gets better from here.

Week one. Walk 5 minutes. Do your 'run' no matter how short. Don't try and extend it...you have the rest of your life to run every day, don't blow it at this point! Then walk 1 minute and do your run again! Repeat until you have done your run 5 times with a 1 minute walk between. Then walk home.

Week 2 the same but extend your run. If you ran one lamp-post try for 2 this week. If you ran 10 steps go for 15. Etc. each week build it up, but slowly. This should be achievable, but fun. After a couple of months you will find you can run longer stretches at a time, and you will be on your way

Another really really important rule, in fact the most important when starting out.

Never run for more than 2 days in a row, never rest for more than 2 days in a row!

I tried to run alternate days in the beginning, so I could grab the extra rest day if life was against me. Never running more than 2 helps prevent injury. Never resting more than 2 helps prevent backsliding. So at a minimum you would run Sunday, take mon and Tuesday off, run Wednesday, Thursday and Friday off, run Saturday etc. at a max run sun and min, tues off, run we'd and thurs, fri off, run sat, sun, Monday off etc.

It takes time to build up to a point where you are losing weight running (we reckon to actually lose weight you need 7 hours running a week) but in the meantime, you will be happier and healthier, look so much better and be proud of yourself. And in a years time you will be running 6 days a week, an hour a day and 2 hours one day at the weekend! How cool is that!
Thank you, THANK YOU for responding ... and for the seriously helpful advice! It's especially helpful and encouraging considering it sound like you started about where I am and you've ended up exactly where I wanted to be.

Your advice makes a lot of sense, and interestingly, that is sort of where I ended up on my own right before reading your response!

I am very close to managing week 1 day 1 of c25k right now, but its the last couple of runs that feel next to impossible. I happened to do exactly what you are suggesting when I went out for a "run" last night. I ran until I felt like I needed to stop, which was about a minute and a half. But gauging by how far I make it through the first day of c25k, I modified it to running in 30 second bursts with 45 seconds in between bursts. This was surprisingly very manageable and I made it through 3 miles doing this (including my warmup and cooldown).

So, I built a plan for myself that adds 5 seconds a week to my running & walking times, until I am at 60 seconds running and 90 seconds walking. From that point, each week 5 seconds gets subtracted from the walking time. I'm hoping this will be a decent way to ease into running that's a bit less painful than pushing through c25k three days a week.

I also found an interval training app that lets me add my own running/walking times. I haven't tested it out yet, but I'm looking forward to trying tonight. The interface is pretty terrible, but if it does what I need it to I don't care!

My dad is a pretty big runner (like, 6 miles a day and 13 on Fridays) and though my mom hates it, her sister used to be a running-hater but now runs marathons. SO, going by my genes, I'd say it's possible.

We'll see how it goes! I'm looking forward to it!
Old 04-23-2015, 04:00 PM   #7  
Call me NNS!

S/C/G: 232.6/169.4/149

Height: 5'5"

What is the interval training app? I've been looking for something like that (without having to pay...some of them are quite pricey!)

Sounds like you've got a good start. Just keep at it!

I tried interval running long before I ever even considered trying any "real" running. The big thing I remember reading was after your run interval, don't walk for so long that your heart rate is totally down to a resting rate. You want to start running again before you feel too rested, but after you've caught your breath. That seemed to work pretty well for me and I was surprised by how quickly my abilities improved.

I think you'll be finishing the first Week of C25K in no time on your new plan! Good work so far!
nonameslob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 04:34 PM   #8  
Reluctant Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonameslob View Post
What is the interval training app? I've been looking for something like that (without having to pay...some of them are quite pricey!)

Sounds like you've got a good start. Just keep at it!

I tried interval running long before I ever even considered trying any "real" running. The big thing I remember reading was after your run interval, don't walk for so long that your heart rate is totally down to a resting rate. You want to start running again before you feel too rested, but after you've caught your breath. That seemed to work pretty well for me and I was surprised by how quickly my abilities improved.

I think you'll be finishing the first Week of C25K in no time on your new plan! Good work so far!
The app I found is called easyinterval. It's def not the prettiest and on my iPhone 6 is a little glitchy, but should work out! I'm going to test it and see and will update here.

I've been kind of running for a while without a HR monitor, and just finally purchased one because I wanted to make sure I was keeping my heart rate up where I need it. Thankfully I don't have any problem with my heart rate falling back down to resting, because even my heart rate while walking fast is in my optimum zone! Haha. I guess there's a small benefit to being out of shape, lol.
Old 04-24-2015, 02:37 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 242/150/140

Glad I could help

PS for those who cannot run at all....start with walking! When you can walk say 20 mins begin my programme.

Oh and do the doctor thing first. I did
autodidact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 03:15 PM   #10  
Reluctant Runner

Okay update!

The easyinterval app is all right. It (almost) does what you need it to do. I discovered it's pretty glitchy and doesn't work if you add in a warmup/cooldown, so for anyone who wants to use it, I'd suggest doing those first and then starting your workout with the app. Big drawback is that if you close your phone/lock it then the app stops working. Regardless, it worked well enough for me.

Yesterday I did a 5 minute warmup, then 30 minutes of running for 30s followed by 1m of walking. By the end of the 30 minutes my shins were killing me but I wasn't totally dead. I'm going to stick with the plan I wrote up and see how it goes.
Old 04-24-2015, 03:18 PM   #11  
Reluctant Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by autodidact View Post
Glad I could help

PS for those who cannot run at all....start with walking! When you can walk say 20 mins begin my programme.

Oh and do the doctor thing first. I did
I may have to do the doctor thing. I didn't the last time I ran because I figured I was young and (mostly) healthy, but this time around my shins have been killing me - for some reason I feel like I'm about 64 years old, despite being 24. Yeesh. Thankfully that's only when I run.

And, I feel like maybe I should just get a professional opinion on my diet/exercise routine. Just in general. It's nice to have an expert telling you that you're on the right track. I haven't been to the doctor in ages!