Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 04-23-2014, 05:44 PM   #16  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoofie View Post
Well, it's strange that it's off every single day, don't you think? Sure, that might seem a bit high, but we're talking about working out at high intensity for an hour at the gym and then walking five miles in about an hour and a half on top of that. Is it really so unbelievable that I might burn more than 2500 calories a day?

Well...maybe I'm wrong, then. But what exactly is the point of having a Fitbit if you can't trust the numbers?
I was under the impression that you were talking about calories burned through exercise alone during the day, not the normal calories burned during a normal daily routine. In fact I didn't know that Fit Bit would even calculate that in. Probably because the people I have seen use them only wear them when they're working out.

Now the numbers make sense.
Kscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 07:18 PM   #17  
banned

S/C/G: 80.2kg/66kg/60kg x2.2 for lb

Height: 165cm/5' 4.5"

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattience View Post
A lot of people think you need to eat super low i mean 1200 to lose weight. I think all that achieves is to slow down your metabolism and cause a weight rebound. So i believe the higher you can keep your calories and still lose weight is where you should be. Obviously you will need to reduce those calories as your weight goes down but i think that's better than continuously increasing the amount of exercise.
I refuse -- absolutely *refuse* -- to dip to 1,200 a day. I tried it, and ended up binge eating so badly that it completely counteracted any weight loss effort I ever could have tried. So there is no way I'm going that low ever again. I would much rather exercise as much as I find enjoyable and eat a bit more. Obviously I know that reducing calories will be something I'll need to do as the weight goes down, but at this point with all the exercise I'm doing, there is simply no way I would be able to make it on 1,200 calories a day.
You do realise i wasn't suggesting you eat 1200 calories a day, don't you. I was actually saying why its unnecessary almost all of the time and for most people almost all of the time.
Pattience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 08:43 PM   #18  

I just ordered a Fit Bit after reading the reviews on them. People are saying they are accurate, so I am jumping in. I've always wondered how many calories, how many steps, and what I am burning in a workout. I just got the cheaper one for around 47 dollars on sale at Best Buy. It is supposed to do about everything, and it will upload to computers and smart phones. I can't wait to get it now!

Last edited by Kscott; 04-23-2014 at 08:45 PM.
Old 04-23-2014, 08:49 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 310/290.8/199

Height: 5'7

Im eating 2,000 calories a day and losing approximately 2.5lbs a week. When your weight is high you can eat 2,000 cal and still lose weight. I keep track of calories on MFP. and my daily goal to hit is 2,000 (without working out!!) and at that rate I "should" lose 2lbs a week. But I have a high weight, Im right about 300lbs.
mb2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 09:31 PM   #20  

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb2004 View Post
Im eating 2,000 calories a day and losing approximately 2.5lbs a week. When your weight is high you can eat 2,000 cal and still lose weight. I keep track of calories on MFP. and my daily goal to hit is 2,000 (without working out!!) and at that rate I "should" lose 2lbs a week. But I have a high weight, Im right about 300lbs.
Two pounds a week is great it still equates to 104 pounds a year. I was reading that weight taken off slowly tends to stay off.

I am still trying to get the last six pounds off, and it's been stubborn, so hopefully the fit bit will give me encouragement and show me where to go.
Old 05-01-2014, 12:57 AM   #21  

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb2004 View Post
I synced my fitness pal with my jawbone up (similar to fit bit). I really like my fitness pal, it's a free app on most phones. What is confusing is I have to add my exercise routine on my fitness pal, and I am hoping I am not adding calories burned twice?

Has anyone figured this out yet?
Old 05-01-2014, 08:26 PM   #22  
Up and at 'em...again!

S/C/G: 203.4/170.4/140.0

Height: 5'0"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattience View Post
You do realise i wasn't suggesting you eat 1200 calories a day, don't you. I was actually saying why its unnecessary almost all of the time and for most people almost all of the time.
Oh yes, I realized that wasn't what you were saying! I was just trying to pre-emptively ward off any suggestions in that direction, know what I mean? Unfortunately I know of waaaayyyy too many people who think that if you eat more than 1200 calories a day you're obviously going to be a heifer for life.
Snoofie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 08:28 PM   #23  
Up and at 'em...again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kscott View Post
I synced my fitness pal with my jawbone up (similar to fit bit). I really like my fitness pal, it's a free app on most phones. What is confusing is I have to add my exercise routine on my fitness pal, and I am hoping I am not adding calories burned twice?

Has anyone figured this out yet?
ME TOO. I synced my FitBit with MFP and...I don't really get why you have to record your exercise if your FitBit and MFP account are synced. Isn't that the *point* of having them synced? o_O I don't get it.
Old 05-01-2014, 08:32 PM   #24  
Up and at 'em...again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kscott View Post
I was under the impression that you were talking about calories burned through exercise alone during the day, not the normal calories burned during a normal daily routine. In fact I didn't know that Fit Bit would even calculate that in. Probably because the people I have seen use them only wear them when they're working out.

Now the numbers make sense.
Yeah, I wear mine pretty much 24/7. As a matter of fact, the only time I *don't* wear it is when I'm in the shower! *L* I really wanted to get an idea of how many calories I'm burning over the course of my day. I have a HRM to wear specifically during exercise, so I was looking for something that would give me more of an all-day reading. And talk about motivation -- looking down at that display and seeing that I've "only" burned 2,500 calories so far during the day makes me strive even harder to hit that 3,000 mark!
Old 05-02-2014, 01:39 PM   #25  
Irish dance addict

S/C/G: 145/145.4/125

Height: 5' 3"

You've done the same math I do. I calculated my average daily burn at around 1900 calories a day, including all my exercise and non-exercise activities. I calculated my deficit from there.

I really like this method because I don't have to worry about calculating how many calories I've earned via exercise. I don't do much steady state cardio so my heart rate monitor isn't helpful in most situations.

I can't comment on how well it works because I haven't been good about counting my calories yet! But you have the math right...and so I hope this method is successful for you!
atmos is offline   Reply With Quote