Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 11-02-2012, 04:19 PM   #1  

S/C/G: See tracker :3

Height: 5'5

Default I've asked this before, but...any advice for working out with a bad back?

According to my chiropractor, I have a pretty bad curved spine. It got worse when I got pregnant and since then there's so many things that I can't do...or, I can do but then my back hurts so bad that I'm holding back tears for the rest of the day.

Getting in shape is important to me, especially because I have a surgery coming up. I'd like to be as close to 140 as possible by then. I'm 175. :I Clearly I don't expect to lose 35 pounds in two months, but i want to work as hard as possible to get as close as possible.

I can't do push ups, and I can't do sit ups. My upper spine, between my shoulder blades sticks out really far, so when I sit up it smashes against the ground. My lower back is curved or something and for that reason when I do push ups or anything that puts extra pressure in that area it's terrible.

SO. Here's where it gets more complicated. I can't afford a gym and I can't afford to keep going to my chiro. I dunno what to do :C I'm bummed out. Everything I've been doing to work out has apparently been making my back worse, even though I was losing weight. I care more about my health than I do about the number on the scale so I don't want to hurt myself :c...
Anyone have any help to offer? Do I just have to walk.... a lot? :c I was doing couch to 5k but chrio said that was bad for me, even though it didn't hurt..hm...
DandelionCupcakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 06:17 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 183/166/135

Height: 5'6"

Well, I hurt my back and neck in a car accident and the only thing that has helped me exercise wise (and the only thing I can do, even 3 years later) is hot yoga. I try to avoid lots of downward dogs as this puts pressure on upper back/neck as they are weak, but other than that I have to say it's the only thing that actually helped my lower back.

Not sure what kind of facilities you have near you, but if you can find a hot yoga class that works with your finances, I would defo try it. Talk to the yoga teacher about your injury and they will tell you how to work around it and what poses not to do.

Walking hurts me too, running is out of the question, situps/core work aggravates my neck, so I know how it feels to try to get into shape having so many restrictions.

Take care of yourself, and hopefully someone can give you more suggestions if the yoga doesn't work for you.
BreathingSpace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 06:32 PM   #3  

S/C/G: See tracker :3

Height: 5'5

<3 thank you for your reply. i'll absolutely check it out. do you burn a significant number of calories do you know?

it is frustrating having all of these restrictions :/ but i'm sure we'll get to our goals either way :3
DandelionCupcakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 06:39 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 183/166/135

Height: 5'6"

Well, "they" say that you can burn from 500-1200 calories in one 60 or 90-min hot yoga class. I don't know how much I burn, all I know is that I love it tremendously, I have become a new person because of doing it, my lower back problems are pretty much gone now, and my body shape is getting nicer and nicer the more I do it.

If you do Bikram it's 90 minutes. I do a 60-min hot yoga class which incorporates some, but not all, of the Bikram postures. I like that way better. I truly believe the spinal series has strengthened and helped my back the most.

Even if you can try one class, you will love how your body feels afterward. I remember after the first few times I did it I realized my body felt like when I was a kid again! Just don't push yourself :-)
BreathingSpace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 08:56 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 199/159/135

Height: 5'4.5"

Without knowing the extent or type of curvature, it is not really possible for others to give recommendations. I would call your chiropractor and ask him. He should give you a rec for free over the phone. I am really surprised he did not give you rehab exercises. If you can come in again one last time I would ask him for exercises that you can do on your own at home. You will probaby have to come in for that because he will want to make sure you know how to do them properly. Tell him you want to do some total body strength workouts and ask him for a routine that you can safely do. He may give you a rehab routine first in order to build up to a more advanced workout. Keep up with these, they are very important
I have scoliosis, which is a side to side curvature, but mine is moderate-mild, so I can do anything as long as it doesn't cause me pain. However, if running is out then yours must be pretty severe. I would NOT do yoga without your Dr. signing off on it. If he does approve it, find an instructor with experience with clients with curvature of the spine and inform them of your condition fully so they can modify poses for you if necessary. Trust me, you do not want to take any risks with spinal health. One wrong move and you can be in pain for the rest of your life.

I am not a dr. but I would assume that all low impact cardio would be fine as long as it doesn't cause you pain. So walking, biking, swimming.
Seashell84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:07 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 199/150

Height: 5'9

Bikram is great! Only thing that helped after my car accident. Trying to get off my butt and go tomorrow!
givepeaceachance is offline   Reply With Quote