Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 02-26-2012, 08:12 AM   #46  
Closet health nut!

S/C/G: S268/C170s/G140s

Height: Officially 5'-6"

What?! Like starting from scratch? Give me a break. Sure running on the treadmill is different than the road, maybe works the muscles a tad differently, there's no change in the surface, hills are man made and so is speed, you can't watch TV if that's your thing, but starting over seriously? Don't worry about that Cherry, obviously you discovered on your own that that was a bunch of bull.
ncuneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 08:25 AM   #47  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryPie99 View Post
ncuneo - sending good vibes that you'll have a great run tomorrow! You are an inspiration, girl!!

Nothing much new on the running front for me. Other then it warmed up enough for me to run outside on Thursday - first time outside since November! I have a friend who is an avid runner who gave me all sorts of dire predictions about how treadmills KILL the ability to run outside and it would be like starting from scratch for me. SO not true! I was immediately back into the groove - no soreness, no breathing issues - it felt so great I ran an extra 1/2 mile before I had to stop. And I had to stop because I was on my lunch hour, otherwise I may have gone further!
What? Yes, it's different, but its not starting from scratch! Your lungs are doing the same work, your legs are moving. yes, you'll have to adjust to wind, hills, etc. but big deal, you'd have to do that anyway if you'd been running outside.

Debating a chilly outside run with a friend today, or gymming it.
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 02:03 PM   #48  

S/C/G: 182/155/145

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGeranium View Post
sznn I know what you mean!!!!! I've had a hard time refinding my mojo as well. I've signed up for another 1/2 and while I am dreading it less and less, there isn't any joy ( except when I 'm done with training for the day LOL) . I feel heavy and bored most of the time. Dh and I were chatting about this yesterday and he commented that his running lately has felt more like a job and less like the enjoyable hobby it actually is. I'm hoping that if i continue to put in the time I will find it somewhere, hopefully sooner than later. To that end I'm slugging along slower and feeling heavy than I would like and trying to find inspiration anywhere I can get it. I am definitely relearning patience .......
SGeranium are you doing the Seattle Rock and Roll again this year?
I didn't sign up because my running has fallen off so badly, I knew it would be a serious struggle. Let me know how the new course is, if that is the race you are doing...next yr is another yr

I signed up for the SunRun training as a volunteer leader, it is a learn to run 10K program, well devised to go from couch to 10k. This week is week 7 and I still can't find my running mojo. I have been doing the clinic runs, but very few runs in between. I wog to the gym to do my spin class or bootcamp but that is about it. Hopefully the running bliss will return someday soon.

S
sznn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 11:27 AM   #49  
Tellin' it like it is!

S/C/G: RESTART:153.5/147/135

Height: 5'4"

aWW, ncueno-- thanks for the Shout out!

INTHEBOX-->
Is the Relay a trail run? Most relays like that are... can you give me a little info? Is it a trail race? in the mountains? what time of DAY is your leg (relays go straight through the night!)

If it IS a trail run, its going to level the playing field A LOT with regards to how fast your teamates "average per mile (supposedly)" You guys are not COMPETING? you are only COMPLETING...... and they wanted you for a reason, so keep that in mind. In any case if they are running 8 min miles on the road, that is NO INDICATION of how fast they can run if it is a trail relay... And if thats the case you need to approach your training from a different angle than if its a road race
mkroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 01:50 PM   #50  
Calorie Counter

S/C/G: 151/142/130

Height: 5ft 9

Hey seagirl I see you're on week 5 now? I had to take a week off due to illness so I'm also on week 5 now. Have you done run 3 yet? I'm nervous but excited about it. It just seems like such a jump to 20 mins continuous running from the two 8 min intervals I just did . Anyway I'm doing day 3 tomorrow eep!
PaintedButterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 08:18 PM   #51  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaintedButterfly View Post
Hey seagirl I see you're on week 5 now? I had to take a week off due to illness so I'm also on week 5 now. Have you done run 3 yet? I'm nervous but excited about it. It just seems like such a jump to 20 mins continuous running from the two 8 min intervals I just did . Anyway I'm doing day 3 tomorrow eep!
I'm doing "ease into 5K" which is slightly different, our 20 minute runs start next week I think.

Yesterdays run was supposed to be Run/Walk 6/1/4/1/6/1/4. I barely made it though the first run due to what my friend calls "dead legs." Like, I couldn't get my right quad to cooperate at all! I finally slowed to a walk, upped the incline to 5 and just walked the rest of the time. I stretched a lot yesterday. I rested today and am going to try it again tomorrow.

One of my friends started running and just runs straight through for a mile or 2 or 3. And she was literally going from the couch. So, I think I'll be fine. It's mostly my head that freaks out, and thankfully I have a meditation practice so I know how to calm myself when I start to think "I can't do this!" since that's what I also think sometimes when I set my meditation timer for 15 minutes. I just say "settle" to calm myself down and stick with it.
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 09:21 AM   #52  
Training for life!

S/C/G: 174/150/131

Height: 5'5"

Ran 6.2 on Wed and had no new problems but decided torun a short 3 miler on Fri before the race and got pain on top of knee so BAILED on the race on Sat my friend was looking for a way out so was glad I decided against. I have run 3.5 on Sun and again yesterday still having pain on inside of knee BUT no more on top.....
Yesterday was a great run...the cool morning storm blowing through the Sierras to the one side of me and the Inyos on the other and as I have said before I run on dirt raods out in the alfalpa -cow fields it is calve season so lots of babies,hawks above..and many flocks of birds that I can hear along with the cows mooing even above my TUNES rocking out in my ears ITS GREAT to be alive and able to run!!!!!
devadiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 04:52 PM   #53  

S/C/G: 189/138.0/130

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkroyer View Post
aWW, ncueno-- thanks for the Shout out!

INTHEBOX-->
Is the Relay a trail run? Most relays like that are... can you give me a little info? Is it a trail race? in the mountains? what time of DAY is your leg (relays go straight through the night!)
It's a road race in the mountains. So kind of a mixed bag. My leg is likely at 4am if we have the same start time as they have in previous years. It is 6.7 mi from the summit down (about 1,500 vertical foot descent) If you want to look it up I am Leg 16 of the Baker to Vegas Police relay. www.bakervegas.com/

Quote:
If it IS a trail run, its going to level the playing field A LOT with regards to how fast your teamates "average per mile (supposedly)" You guys are not COMPETING? you are only COMPLETING...... and they wanted you for a reason, so keep that in mind. In any case if they are running 8 min miles on the road, that is NO INDICATION of how fast they can run if it is a trail relay... And if that's the case you need to approach your training from a different angle than if its a road race
They ran 8:15 miles in the race two years ago. We are not competing with our teammates but with the other teams. I haven't been before so I don't know how competitive it is. They took me because I was proactive and the only person who popped up and said "I want to do this." So I got a spot. They didn't even ask me my times until recently and I've always known they wouldn't be as good as the guys, just didn't realize it'd be that big a difference.
fromthebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 12:10 AM   #54  
SGeranium

Height: 5"8

SZNN: not the r n r this year. I'm doing a trail half in mid May. DH is doing the full 50 ultra enchilada the same day. This event was his dad and step mom's favoritist ultra. Should be a fun. Most of our family is in WI where the race is, so it will definitely be cool for them to be able to show up and cheer us on!! I got all excited about the r n r this year then I saw the price. YIKES!!!!!!
ncuneo : Thank you so much for your thoughts. DH and I were coming at this from opposite ends. His running IS really a second job, he is planning on 2 50 milers this year and is hoping to get in a 100 miler. ( see addictive time consuming hobby) I feel heavy and slow because I am. I started running less and spinning/ class more because of an injury and I was better at spinning. I just need to be patient with myself and get over where I was and be glad for where I am now. Logical but challenging for me

In completely unrelated news I started a month of hot yoga and after a couple of classes my hamstring/ achilles tightness is much reduced. That's a positive for sure as I had a pretty good run today : looser/ lighter legs, my first B+ of the year

Good running ladies I am grateful for your enthusiasm.
SGeranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 10:53 AM   #55  
Training for life!

IN THE BOX on you Baker to vegas run!

I lived in the Death Valley area for 18 years and am familer with this race...not the course...you sure did not pick aneasy easy section to do UPSIDE you picked a GREAT time of the day!!! It can stat being quite warm even at that time of the year so will do great just condition your self and you will do GREAT!!!
And by the way I SNOOPED and YOU LOOK GREAT in your before and after pictures YOU SHOULD BE VERY PROUD and what a great way to CELEBRATE!!

Last edited by devadiva; 02-29-2012 at 10:55 AM.
Old 02-29-2012, 06:08 PM   #56  
Closet health nut!

S/C/G: S268/C170s/G140s

Height: Officially 5'-6"

Good stuff ladies! Well my second 20 miler went well, a smidge better than the first, but not good enough to make me feel warm and fuzzy about the actual distance. However, good enough to make me know that I will be able to finish. I feel like I'm well prepared, got all my fuel, hydrating, pacing elements pretty dialed in and I'm ready to go out there and have a good time!

5 miler later today, snoozed too much this morning and then we'll start a new thread for March! Bring it!
ncuneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 08:39 AM   #57  
Training for life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncuneo View Post
Good stuff ladies! Well my second 20 miler went well, a smidge better than the first, but not good enough to make me feel warm and fuzzy about the actual distance. However, good enough to make me know that I will be able to finish. I feel like I'm well prepared, got all my fuel, hydrating, pacing elements pretty dialed in and I'm ready to go out there and have a good time!

5 miler later today, snoozed too much this morning and then we'll start a new thread for March! Bring it!
Good WORK!!! and thanks for keeping the thread for us!
As for me exercise class on Tues and work and Wed had Jury duty off to work this am and exercise class tonite will run early on Fri before Jury duty...They posponed us we had to go back after sitting there half the day,but at least I did not have to miss work.