Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 08-05-2011, 03:03 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 230/149/138

Height: 5'6

Default Pilates help

I've been going to the Y since March and I've taken quite a few of the cardio classes, but I'm really curious about Pilates (and Yoga, but that's a different topic, hah!). My issue is, it's in a closed room so I cannot peak inside and I have never done Pilates (or even really seen it, I don't think) - so I've been shying away from it because I just don't know what to expect or what it is.

I've seen photos online of Pilates moves...but past that, I'm a total newbie.

Anyone here that could offer some guidance? I assume I'd wear yoga-type clothing, so I'm okay there. I even bought a yoga mat (never used it) so I'm okay there. I'm wondering if it is appropriate for someone who isn't particularly flexible, with very, very bad knees (two surgeries, and pending double knee replacement) and some back problems (I've had back surgery). BTW, I'm only 40 - so my joint problems aren't really due to age, they are due to past injuries.

I'd like to try something new, and I'd like to increase strength & flexibility - seems like Pilates is a natural fit?
Lunula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 03:16 PM   #2  

Hi Lunula! I'll be turning 40 soon - who said 40 was old? LOL. Anyway, I've been a devotee of Pilates for the last four years. In fact, I plan on doing some tonight after my kids are in bed.

Pilates will make you flexible the more you do it. It's a very gentle exercise so it's perfect for someone like you. They focus a lot on your breathing and the powerhouse (which is your core) in Pilates. There are modifications to the moves as well if you need it.

Before Pilates, I wasn't able to stand and touch my toes because my hamstrings would hurt like crazy, now no problem. I find it to be a great stress reliever too.

Hope that helps. Good luck.
fitmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 12:20 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 230/149/138

Thanks for the reply, Fitmom! So what can I expect exercise-wise? What exactly do they do? Stretching? Resistance bands? Other apparatus? I tried Yoga a few times and found the moves to be too stressful on my knees/back - I ended up modifying a lot and felt it was getting too complicated (and I didn't enjoy it). Are there many moves that will involve putting my weight on my knees? Do I need to bring my mat? Is it done to music, is there chroreography?

Sorry for all the questions, like I said, I'm a newbie.
Lunula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 12:35 PM   #4  
I am in control.

Height: 5'9

Lunula ~ I have been attending pilates classes for about 3 years and I really love it. My instructor always has nice music playing in the background. Sometimes we use stability balls, but usually we just do everything on the mat. Like fitmom said, it is all tied to your core, so the moves all incorporate your stomach. If you visit this website http://pilates.about.com/od/pilatesm...-Exercises.htm there is a list of the most common pilates moves. You can google "pilates hundred" and "pilates roll up" (for example) and you should be able to see how it is done. I really enjoy pilates. Just be sure to keep your lower back on the ground during exercises if you are laying down. You don't want to stress your back.
Emme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 12:41 PM   #5  

I don't take Pilates classes, I do DVD's at home. Some have equipment and resistance bands, it depends. I would ask one of the Pilate instructors if you need to bring anything. A lot of the beginner stuff is aimed at focused on stablizing the core and "pulling your navel in toward the spine" b/c even though the exercises might be for your thighs (for example), there should still be a focus on your core. There is also a focus on your breathing, if you inhale there is always a coordinating exhale breath. Breathing should remain steady never labored. I can't think of any moves off the top of my head (that I do, at least) that put weight on your knees. I, too, tried Yoga a few times and I don't have problems with my knees but I found a lot of moves very complicated - almost felt like you had to be a human pretzel, lol. I also got myself a Pilates book for reference at home with photos and it's been very helpful. Hope this helps. I'm not an expert but I've been at it for four years now. An advanced newbie, lol.
fitmom is offline   Reply With Quote