Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 08-03-2011, 04:51 PM   #1  
I am in control.

Height: 5'9

Default 30 Minutes of Cardio Needed?

Hi everyone,

I used to get in at least 30 minutes of cardio every day until I started jogging/running. I just started a little less than 2 weeks ago and I am just up to running 1.25 miles without stopping. I'm slowly working my way up so I can be prepped for a 5K in mid October. My question surrounds this: when I'm running my 1.25 miles I am done in 13 minutes. And then I'm beat. And then I walk for about 10 minutes, so that puts me around 23 minutes. I've always heard that "you should get at least 30 minutes of cardio for maximum health and calorie burning benefits" but by the time I am done with my 1.25 (as measly as it is!), I do not want to keep going until I hit the 30 minute mark. I am just done. Do you think I am getting enough of a benefit out of just running for 1.25 miles and then walking for about 10 minutes? I don't want to be counterproductive.
Emme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 05:28 PM   #2  
Ilene the Bean

You could split it up, do a brisk walk a few hours before or after your run, you'll still get the cardio benefit... You will also get better with time when your fitness gets better...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 05:28 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 183/183/153

Height: 5 foot 1

You "could" take a walking break then do some other form of cardio for 10 minutes. Heck I clean for 2 hours at a cat rescue and it burns 633 calories! Also, it doesn't say what your warm up is... before my spinal cord injury when I used to run I would walk or do dynamic calenthetics for 10 minutes, run for 20 then walk for 10 minutes to cool down.

Or you could add a walk or 10 minutes of weight training at another part of your day?

KJ
KeenJoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 06:04 PM   #4  

I think the other suggestions for breaking up your running workout are great. If you can't do that, though, just do what you can do for now. You're working on your fitness, and you'll get better as time passes, so don't sweat it . . . or DO sweat it, but only physically, not mentally .
lin43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 06:15 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 136/123/110

Height: 5'2

That is just a standard a lot of people like to tote about. I bet you anything that you are burning more calories and getting your heartrate higher than someone who is walking for 30 minutes. You might think about getting a heartrate monitor to track your calories.
Loli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 06:30 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 190/155/135

Height: 5'3"

I agree with Loli.. since I've been focusing on exercise the last couple months, a lot of articles I read on getting cardio mention, making sure you break a sweat (which I'm sure you're doing with your jog) and just getting your heart rate up (again.. I think you're achieving that).
Also, when you start jogging you really should only add more distance or time gradually so that your body has enough time to catch up.
You're doing awesome! Keep up the awesome work!!
tdiprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 07:39 PM   #7  
I am in control.

Height: 5'9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loli View Post
That is just a standard a lot of people like to tote about. I bet you anything that you are burning more calories and getting your heartrate higher than someone who is walking for 30 minutes.
That's what I am hoping. After my little jog I am dripping sweat and comfortably breathing hard (if there is such a thing). I didn't really see the sense of walking for a few more minutes just to hit 30 minutes if my running workout was making me work really, really hard.
Emme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 02:01 AM   #8  
yehaw!!

S/C/G: 220/166/150

Height: 5'3

My brother is very phisical, he's an army drill instructor and he tells me there is a reason for going at least 30 minutes... something about the body taking 20 minutes to switch to burning fat.... but I totally get you. It kicks my butt to push those last few minutes..
brillmama2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 08:05 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 134/126/under 124

Height: 5'2.5

I think 30 minutes is a great goal to strive for. Can you walk for 10 minutes to warm up, jog for 10 minutes (or 15 minutes), and then walk for 5-10 minutes to cool down? If it's too much, the idea of splitting it up is useful too. Trying to keep the heart rate up for as long as possible, whether that's done by walking or joggging or biking or the elliptical is the ultimate goal
indiblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 08:17 AM   #10  

Height: 5'6

I used to be just like that when I first started. Believe it or not, the jogging combined with the walking is like interval training so you are getting a cardio benefit whether you realize it or not. How about jumping rope a little later in the day? That's cardio. You'll get better as you continue to run and add mileage on. It just takes time. You could also try HIIT which takes about 15-20 minutes and has more fat-burning power than a steady state cardio session like running. Hope this helps.
fitmom is offline   Reply With Quote