Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Closed Thread

Old 01-14-2003, 09:01 PM   #1  

Default Headaches and Sportsbras

I'm new soooo...

First off, I'm a CNA from Nashville and am starting an excercise program (need to loose 82 pounds or so).

My sister in law and I are doing workouts together now. Pilates three times a week and Leslie Sansomes "Too Busy to Workout Workout" three times a week. (She's making me do aerobics and I make her do Pilates and strength training. She's skinny but needs the strength work.) We're going to do some belly dancing too eventually.

The Pilates and I get along just fine (except the sore abs but that's normal. I know that. LOL -- actually my abs feel like they're getting stronger already!)

BUT after doing my cardio, I am getting headaches. Weird huh? Maybe I'm not drinking enough water or something but I drink TONS. (I'm so not kidding. Have a 32 ounce water bottle at work and refill it five and six times a day and have a 32 ounce cup at home that goes everywhere with me)

Is it something else or my imagination? It's only happened twice, but I just started this on Saturday and this was our second session...

Also -- does anyone have any good Sports Bra suggestions? I wear a 46 DD and this jogging thing and I don't work.

Thanks!

Nai
Old 01-15-2003, 09:27 AM   #2  
Uber-Moderator!!

Hey there - I'm also well endowed on top and my absolute favorite sports bra has been one made by Champion (used to be called the JogBra but they have since renamed it). They last FOREVER - I have ones that are five years old - and are totally durable, comfy, and machine-washable...

Check it out... http://www.title9sports.com/cgi-bin/...D&Args=&Pos=25

And they don't give you the 'uniboob' look either

Hope that helps!
Old 01-16-2003, 09:38 AM   #3  

I have found that the Enell sports bra works wonders.
Old 01-17-2003, 09:26 AM   #4  
Hanging in There

You mean there's actually a sports bra out there for us top heavy types?
Old 01-17-2003, 11:53 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

I am totally with MrsJim on the Champion/Jogbra...I am a 38DD and good support is a necessity! They do last a long time without getting all stretched out and distorted like the cheap $5 uniboob sportsbras at your local store. Soem features to look for is cups that are nicely constructed, not just uniboob lycra like your exercise pants. I like cups that are more "separated." You wnat straps that are not stretchy-this also goes for yoru regular bras. If the straps stretch at all-you are not getting the proper support, as heavy breasts will weigh them down.
You might check out plus size stores, or online stores that sell workout wear-or wear a regular bra in a "minimizing style" and wear an athletic tank top over it. (The minimizing styles usually cover more over the cleavage area, and stop a lot of the "bounce".)
Another thing is to make sure you are wearing the correct size. Most women are not...the common problems are wearing too loose a band size, and too small a cup size. If your bra is riding up in the back, then your bra is either too old and stretched out, or the band size is too large. It should be snug enough around the ribcage not to ride up. In a standing position, if your bra center (between your breasts) is gapping out away from your chest, then your cup size is probably too small. It should be up against your skin in the center, with no breast tissue popping out the top of the cups or under your armpits! While losing weight, it is important to check your bra fit every 5-10 pounds you lose (or gain) or every clothing size you drop.
The easiest way to measure is with a soft sewing type tape measure up under your armpits-above your breasts. This is your band size-if it is an odd number, then go up to the next even number, and wear it on the tighter hooks. Measure again across the fullest part of your breasts with a bra ON.
If the measurement is:
same:AA cup
1" more-A cup
2" more-B cup
3" more-C cup
4" more-D cup
5" more-DD or E cup
6" more-DDD or F cup
I used to wear a 40D, and had a heck of a problem getting a bra to fit right and be comfortable-until I learned how to measure, and that I was actually a 38DD! Now I don't have near the trouble!
Aphil
Old 01-17-2003, 12:00 PM   #6  
Uber-Moderator!!

If you want a REALLY supportive one, a lot of my equestrianne friends swear by one called the No Bounce Bra. However, it is as ugly as sin, so I wouldn't wear it as a sport top like the Champion. It's carried by an equestrian catalog called 1824 - their site is at 1824catalog.com.

Check out Title 9 Sports, they have the BEST selection of sports bras I've ever seen!
Old 01-18-2003, 01:20 PM   #7  

I have the opposite problem. I'm flat chested and am always looking for a bra that doesn't make them completely disappear like the uni-boobs do! But I totally agree that Champion bras are great for all body types. They have a super website that shows their entire product line along with reviews, what activity they're best worn with, store locations, etc. The site's 'MCR Fit Center' can help lead you to some bra styles that might work for you.

http://www.championjogbra.com/s_xl/php/sport_bras.php

Oh, and as for your headaches, all I can say is that I tend to get them following cardio if I haven't eaten sufficiently before and after the exercise. You want to try to make sure that you're not over exerting yourself, too. Check your heartrate during exercise, and slow it down if you need to. The "talk test" works pretty well for me, too. When I'm running, if I can't talk without gasping for air, then I slow it down a little. You should be breathing deeply and heavily during cardio but not to the point where you're totally sucking wind.

Last edited by Rupertsmom; 01-18-2003 at 01:35 PM.
Old 01-20-2003, 12:44 PM   #8  

Unhappy My sports bra gives me a headache!

Hee, hee! I thought you were going to say the same thing that happens to me! If I don't change bras as soon as I get home from aerobics class, I will get a headache from the tension I get through my shoulders and back. I love the bra for class and it keeps me from flopping around , but it is not good for long-term wear.

Something to keep in mind!

Old 01-29-2003, 03:03 PM   #9  
Hanging in There

Default My husband's opinion

My husband is convinced that the bra hasn't existed that can hold my ba-zoombas.
Old 01-30-2003, 08:58 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

ROFLMAO....
Aphil
Closed Thread