Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 10-14-2010, 04:52 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 172/172/152

Height: 5'3"

I did C25K for the first time probably around 2007. I loved the confidence it gave me! It was challenging but enough to ignite a passion for running. I ran regularly for a good year, but then stopped because I moved cross country and my routine just wasn't there. I started back up at the beginning of this year and did my own modified version of C25K... basically I just took walking breaks when I needed them for a while. Eventually I stopped needing them for the most part. I think the most important thing is to be patient with yourself and trust that you will get stronger with practice!
wickedlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 10:54 AM   #17  
Yogini

S/C/G: 152/ticker/115

Height: 5' 3''

I did it last year and consider myself a success. I didn't repeat any weeks and I even missed a few days (maybe 3?) and continued on anyway with the missed days.

I graduated last May and then worked my way up to running 5 miles at a time. I've taken the last few months off, but am looking at adding some running back in to my routine.

Here is some advice:

Go slooooow. The first few weeks were hard for me, but I was also running a lot faster. When I got up to the longer runs, my speed dropped down to 4.5 mph. I didn't care how tired I was, I was determined to finish even if I was running at 4 mph. (4mph is where I can't really walk anymore and have to run, this may vary for others)

Every day is different - you might have a lousy Day 1 and the Day 2 run seems easy. You just never know. I had some horrid runs at 4 mph feeling like I was going to die, and the next one was a breeze.

Don't be afraid of the 20 minute run. You'll be able to do it. Just go sloooow. If you are tired, slow down. It's actually quite a bit easier to keep running for 20 minutes than get your body to start/stop all those times.

Check out www.runningintoshape.com for podcasts that tell you the times to stop/start running. I used these when I was outside. When I was on the treadmill I just watched the clock and kept a little post-it note reminding me of the routine.

You might want to take pics of your legs before you start. They WILL change shape and that can be motivating!

Good luck!

Last edited by Wildflower; 10-18-2010 at 10:56 AM.
Wildflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 10:48 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 203.5/173.0/140

Height: 5'3"

I just started C25K today-- I thought I was going to die, but I pushed through it and felt SO good afterwords. I think I went a little fast today, but it felt good. I'm going skiing all day tomorrow, so let's hope that my legs won't be too sore to do W1D2 come Tuesday
Our Lady Bonbon is offline   Reply With Quote