Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 08-18-2010, 07:40 AM   #1  

S/C/G: GW: 125

Height: 5'6"

Default Sports Bras -- More important than you think!

Article from the NY Times that says that improper breast support could potentially cause injury -- not just to the girls, but to the rest of the body -- by throwing off body mechanics:

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/08/18/phys-ed-the-right-kind-of-sports-bra/

It turns out my sad little A-cups are good for something...
thesame7lbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 07:54 AM   #2  

That's really interesting! Thank you for posting

As a side note, that completely confirmed a complaint I had had for years. Running is more difficult with large breasts and an improper sports bra. When I was in high school soccer, we had to run a LOT. And even if I trained just as much as everyone else, or more, I was still one of the worst runners. I always thought it was because I had large breasts, but people laughed that off. Now that I think of it, the 3 worst runners on our team had large breasts. Maybe there was something to it?
Allowatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 09:52 AM   #3  
Losing the baby weight

S/C/G: 224/183/140

Height: 5"4

I've been putting off getting a proper sports bra for awhile, and I'm a double D.

I guess I should finally take the plunge and get something proper

As a side note, I bet the guys tracking the movement of the boobs loved this research, haha.

Last edited by StephanieM; 08-18-2010 at 09:53 AM.
StephanieM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 11:28 AM   #4  
Tellin' it like it is!

S/C/G: RESTART:153.5/147/135

Height: 5'4"

TheSame7-- sad little A cups? i WISH! ive got "sad-little-10year old-daughters-training-bra!!""
im actually not joking ! Definitely comes in handy for running though, however not so much when im trying to "work-it!"
mkroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 12:14 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 188/ticker/135

Height: 5'3"

Oh, man. I totally just sent that to my husband so he could understand why I complain SO much that I absolutely CANNOT find a sports bra. It doesn't EXIST!
Hickory0305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 01:21 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 195.6/185.6/140

Height: 5'2"

I'm a 42d now and even when I was a 36C, I still could not find a sports bra! It's impossible. I'm going to have to find something if I want to start jogging though. Thanks for the article!
Jlyne327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 11:51 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 198.4/145/145

Height: 5'5

Interesting! I'm a 36DD and for some reason I can't find a sports bra that gives support without mushing the breast together uncomfortably. I've tried tons of brands. What I've been doing lately is wearing a regular bra and a tight sports bra over that. So far it's working.
pink sparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 01:04 AM   #8  

Height: 5'11"

I have a proper sports bra (a Freya that I think was about $50 or so) and I still have to wear a snug, over-the-head Champion sports bra over that. This combination is the only thing that will allow me to comfortably go running. I'm a 34G, so that's some pretty powerful bra action going on to keep these girls from bouncing around.

If someone could make a good sports bra that would stop the bouncing around, they'd be a millionaire.
Windchime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 01:06 AM   #9  
Alli

S/C/G: 230/195/165

Height: 5'6

Interesting.

For those larger breasted girls, I highly recommend the Moving Comfort Fiona sportsbra. It's not cheap, but it's not in the SUPER expensive sports bra range. It's very supportive. My favorite part is that it's adjustable. So, you can loosen or tighten it each day--and even if you lose some weight in your chest! The tightening feature helps me feel secure when working out at very high impact.
abcunnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 05:23 AM   #10  
The girl who can

S/C/G: 240/207.8/165

I recently was experiencing serious pain during and after runs. I googled and found some info similar to this, and when I learned "the girls" were doing figure eights when I ran, I understood why they were hurting! I invested in two somewhat pricey sports bras - Champion 360 and Shock Absorber Max - and it has made a world of difference. Very comfortable, very supportive, and (hooray) no more uni-boob! (I wear a 36FF in "regular" bras....I'm definitely in the "big girls" category.)
Rochester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 11:15 PM   #11  

S/C/G: GW: 125

MK, when I said "said little A cups" I was being generous -- I wear A-cup push-up bras and I still can't fill them (the cups in the push-ups are about half the size of a regular A-cup). I think I was a true A-cup before I nursed my three kids for more than a year each -- now I am also training bra size. I really only read this article in case my boobs suddenly get bigger one day -- but not thrilled with the possible complications of that procedure...

StephanieM, I was totally thinking the same thing -- tough day at work for those guys!
thesame7lbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 12:09 AM   #12  

Height: 5'11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by abcunnin View Post
Interesting.

For those larger breasted girls, I highly recommend the Moving Comfort Fiona sportsbra. It's not cheap, but it's not in the SUPER expensive sports bra range. It's very supportive. My favorite part is that it's adjustable. So, you can loosen or tighten it each day--and even if you lose some weight in your chest! The tightening feature helps me feel secure when working out at very high impact.

I looked--too bad, it doesn't come in nearly big enough cup size. Booooo! DD just won't cut it. But it does look pretty firm!
Windchime is offline   Reply With Quote