Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 06-23-2010, 09:48 AM   #1  
so close I can feel it!

S/C/G: 186.6/154/137

Height: 5'5"

Default running in the heat

I need some tips for running in the heat. I've really been struggling with my running the last few weeks since it's really started getting hot out. I'm having a hard time just doing 3 miles...
zephyr524 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 10:00 AM   #2  
Closet health nut!

S/C/G: S268/C170s/G140s

Height: Officially 5'-6"

The only way I can handle it is running really early - 5am. It's in the low hundred here right now and will get up into 110-120s by end of summer so this is really the only option. Occassionally I will run late, 8pm but that is hard with dinner in my tummy. Other than that, extra water, run on the shady side of the street and the least amount of clothes you can handle and lots of sun screen.
ncuneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 10:11 AM   #3  
Age 53

S/C/G: 265/ticker/165

Height: 5'7"

My outdoor exercise moves indoors (track at the Y is 1/16th of a mile so it's pretty boring), except for my once a week hike which I do early morning on a heavily shaded trail.
caryesings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 10:13 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 158/153/130

Height: 5'4"

we are currently in the mid-upper 90's here for daytime temps, so its hot. I have also switched my running to be at 5:30am and home before 7am. I also tend to switch to biking in the summer, as I can do that at 6:30 - 7pm time and not get too hot (although a couple weeks ago the heat did get to me when I did a 6pm ride).

If I were to run at night it would have to be after a thunderstorm has cooled down the temps or after 8pm (even then, some nights its just too hot).

Definately drink plenty of water. Running with a hydration pack can take some getting used to as the extra water can throw off your stride and balance, but you need the hydration.
chnkymonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 10:39 AM   #5  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

Run slower too, do not try to hold your old pace, take walk breaks as necessary. Run in heat is HARD.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 10:44 AM   #6  
I'm Just a Little Crazy

S/C/G: 250/215/170

Height: 5'9"

Run slower, take lots of water, do it in the early morning or late evening, bring your cell phone just in case you need to call someone for help.

I find it SO much easier to adjust to the cold than the heat. In the winter, as long as it is double digits (single is a bit too much for me) I am good to go. But when it gets to be summer... I mostly stick to indoors with fans or AC.
SCraver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 12:15 PM   #7  
I will never give up.

S/C/G: 160/131.8/110

Height: 5'3.5" Yep, the half matters!

Drink water, drink water, DRINK WATER! That can't be stressed enough. However, also make sure to get some electrolytes into your system, because when you sweat you will lose salt and other stuff your body needs to function. If you don't replace that stuff and drink a ton of water, you run the risk of water intoxication, which can be deadly. I read a statistic, don't remember where and not sure of the accuracy, but it said that more marathon runners become seriously ill from water intoxication than from dehydration. Obviously you aren't running a marathon right now, but if you are doing any kind of distance work, it's something to think about.

It's in the mid-upper 90's down here in Alabama, so I know how you feel. Wear something lightweight that wicks away sweat. I usually just wear a sports bra (with a lightweight tank on top if I feel self-conscious) and running shorts with built in underpants, and I'm pretty comfy.

Like other people have said, carry your cellphone just in case, at least until you figure out how much water you need and at what speed to run.

If you choose to run at night after it cools down, wear something reflective and run in a safe, populated, well lit area.
bama girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 05:15 PM   #8  
Focused on the Future

S/C/G: 237/132/137

Height: 5' 3"

I agree with the water - plenty before and during! Slow down some too! Definitely not an expert but just know from what I have done. I am thinking I need to adjust my running to later or earlier too! I want to be able to RUN yanno and the heat just doesn't work like that lol
JustBeckyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 06:19 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 245/231/155

Height: 5'6

Depending on where you live, maybe you could find a shady park or nature trail to run at? That's what I did today, it was just too hot to run around the neighborhood and there's a little nature trail the next town over. It's completely shady and while it was still hot it wasn't the "oh god i can't do this anymore" hot that it would have been if I was running in the sun.

Other than that, on the really really hot days I tend to just go out after the sun goes down.

Last edited by cookiemonster26; 06-23-2010 at 06:20 PM.
cookiemonster26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 06:26 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 174/167/145

Height: 5'8

it's been really muggy here lately, I usually like the humid, but it makes it really hard for me to breathe,
and in the winter it's too cold...
and when the weather is nice out, well, I live on a hill, so I usually run at the Y no matter what season.
I know the treadmill isnt nearly as good as real running, plus you have to stare at a wall for the hwole time. It's boring, but it's a tough workout, and I only do it once, maybe twice a week- which is just enough to keep up my stamina so I don't embarrass myself when we run the mile at school :P
MeganTheMushroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 08:13 AM   #11  

Ugh, I really, really, REALLY dislike running in the summer, my best times are fall and winter, I love cold weather running the best... This summer I am trying to run/walk my runs 1:1 minute intervals, so far it's working well... I also do a lot more biking and roller bladding... But my cardio of preference is still running...
3fcuser1058250 is offline   Reply With Quote