so sore today - Advice please

• I woke up this morning sore, not to the point I can't move, but arms, shoulders, legs, abs . . .even my calves are sore!

Im wanting to know if I should make this a rest day for my muscles, or if I should do a longer, lower intensity walk on the elliptical and a lower intensity weight circuit . . . one or the other or neither?

Any advice would be aprieciated, thanks!
  • I would do the elliptical but not the weights. You are supposed to rest between weight lifting sessions for your muscles to repair, but I would still walk to just loosen up some of the stiffness. A hot shower might help too along with anti-inflammatories.
  • Awesome . . . thanks!
  • I'd do just a walk and maybe a little yoga. A hot bath always helps. When I begin a new exercise program I always take a nice hot soak in the tub after the workout. It really seems to help me be less sore the next day.
  • Yup I agree with Sheena- you give your muscles I believe 24-48 hours to rest between weight lifting sessions (so like one day you do upper body, one day lower, then switch back and forth- and have at least one full rest day a week for weights). Some cardio will help push out the soreness of the muscle
  • I once dated a body builder and he advised eating bananas on a regular basis, specifically after a hard weight training set. The potassium in the bananas helps with muscle soreness.

Light aerobic exercising like walking or swimming will feel very good to your muscles, but I would avoid anything too strenuous. Please rest at least a day or two before you weight train again.
  • the soreness is from pushing yourself to the point where your cells were working with anaerobic metabolism, which causes a type of acid to buildin your muscles. the best ways to get rid of this soreness are to walk or swim to increase blood flow, take an anti-inflammatory like aleve, and take a hot bath also to increase blood flow.
  • So happy we get aleeve in Canada now.

Thanks for all the great tips, my right calf is still sore this morning, but nothing really bad . . . . so elliptical again today and I'll do some upper body weights.

Im still amazed how much of a difference this forum has made, just knowing I have some where to go when I need help, even for silly questions is amazing, you guys are all fantastic.

Off to 'run'

Cheers