Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

View Poll Results: How important is exercise to your weight loss success?
Absolutely essential. Can't lose weight without it. 49 38.89%
A very important part of my weight loss program 23 18.25%
It's equally important as what I eat 25 19.84%
Not as important as what or how much I eat 22 17.46%
I can lose weight without exercise 7 5.56%
Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-02-2009, 03:02 AM   #1  
Bringin' Sexy Back!

Default How important is exercise to your weight loss success?

How important is exercise to your weight loss success?
suzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 06:06 AM   #2  
MBN

S/C/G: 150/G:finding the happy me

Height: 5'2"

Gotta have it. I need both -- diet and exercise. The diet has to be clean, because you can't "out-exercise" a poor diet. But exercise gives me positive energy, helps my stress level, and keeps my head screwed on straight. Regular exercise makes it easier to stay on track with my diet (psychological effect) as well as burns calories so I can either lose faster or eat more while on maintenance (physical effect). Plus exercise is fun and I enjoy it for its own sake now.
MBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 06:46 AM   #3  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

It's as important as eating, but not for the obvious reason of burning off calories.

When I was heavy, I used to live from the neck upwards. Working my body physically forces me to be in touch with all the parts below the neck. When I think of myself as an athlete, I treat my body with more respect & I make better choices.

Also, one of the reasons that I ate too much & ate certain foods was to soothe & calm myself. Exercise is my substitute for eating, in some ways. It's a better way to work off nervous agitation & excess adrenalin left lingering in my system after a workday.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 07:34 AM   #4  

For me, if I don't exercise the whole thing is shot. I tend to lose my will power as the day goes on and slip up. When I exercise it is a lot easier for me to stay on track, I feel better psychologicaly and physicaly.
caitbeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 08:15 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

I voted but I'm going to clarify a little. I could lose weight without exercising ... maybe some weight. But I wouldn't obtain the slender fit body I was looking for.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 08:25 AM   #6  
ZeusMeatball

S/C/G: 534/309/275

Height: 6'4''

When I began losing weight back in Jan 2008 I was barely doing any exercise and was losing weight fast, but then again I started at 534 pounds so any movement was exercise for me and I was counting calories so weight seemingly melted off in the beginning with minimal exercise. As I got smaller I found that I needed to exercise or the weight would slow WAYYY down, yes it was still coming off when I did not exercise but at a much slower pace but again, I was/am very heavy. The closer I get to a "normal" weight the more exercise is needed to keep the weight coming off, so I think there are more layers to it than just exercise is important, but yes I think it is very important, not only in aiding weight loss but being healthy and strong while doing that, that's just one mans opinion though, so with a grain of salt I offer it.

As Ever
Me

Last edited by Botzz; 06-02-2009 at 08:26 AM.
Botzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 08:34 AM   #7  
Crazy runner

S/C/G: 213/131/maintaining

Height: 5'4.5"

I wish I was one of those folks who could lose weight without exercise! But I'm not... I have to exercise, otherwise the scale won't move.
Fat Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 08:47 AM   #8  
agility-nut

S/C/G: 258/see ticker/170

Height: 5'9

For me, when I exercise, I tend to eat heathier, not wanting to undo the workout at the gym. Also, I have to eat heathly and exercise or both just go down the tubes.
Janis427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 09:08 AM   #9  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

I lost weight without exercise last summer--20 pounds in three months to be exact. I just feel so much better WITH exercise now. I need it for stress relief, as part of my anti-depressant cocktail (exercise, fish oil, sunshine) and for strengthening of course. Sure, weightloss IS possible without exercise. I am just not sure who would CHOOSE it.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 09:10 AM   #10  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

What MBN said.
Exercise has made me a much better person and I actually like who I am. Can't live without it.
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 09:29 AM   #11  

Height: 5'11"

I already lose weight pretty slowly. Without exercise, it would be excruciatingly slow. Plus, it makes me feel so much better that I don't know that I'd want to give it up!
Windchime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 09:53 AM   #12  
Princess in gym training

S/C/G: 228/190/130

Height: 5'9"

I have lost weight in the past without exercise but it was never permanent. This time around it is critical.
BellaDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 10:17 AM   #13  
here we go again

S/C/G: 154/145/126

Height: 5'4

I lose more weight when i work out as well but havent been able to do much for the last 2 weeks due to a chronic fatigue and a headache/nausea i cant shake! Its rather frustrating. Though i managed to lose 4lb in a week despite not getting as much of a work out. Which made me feel good coz ive been bummed by being ill.
cheercoach0101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 10:27 AM   #14  
Closed

S/C/G: 244/165/137

Height: 5' 7"

What you look like is 80% diet, 20% exercise. You can lose weight without exercising, which is one of the options given in the poll. And this is an important message for those starting their journey -- we all hear we "have" to do all sorts of stuff in order to succeed, and exercise is right at the top of the list. But all these changes at once can be overwhelming for the beginner. I know it was for me! So I started with sorting out my diet. And I mean just focussing on in it and getting into a dietary groove. I went from 244lbs to 198 lbs without exercising. And once I was certain of the eating lifestyle and secure in it, I added the exercise. I don't lose any more nor faster, but I am healthier. And the new exercise habit will be invaluable for maintenance and for my overall health. So I recommended it HIGHLY. But if I had a choice to make as a beginner, I'd go with sorting out my eating plan.

Kira

Last edited by kiramira; 06-02-2009 at 10:30 AM.
kiramira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 11:29 AM   #15  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

Absolutely Essential

Food is more important than exercise in terms of calories in calories out for me, but exercise creates the mood, energy, drive, mindset, healthy lifestyle that allows diet to even be possible. If I dont exercise I'll be on the couch with a can of reddiwhip. (OK I sometimes end up on the couch with reddiwhip anyway, but not as OFTEN)
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote