Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 06-15-2009, 09:27 AM   #1  
Amazing will be me

Default anyone switched the gym 4 getting jiggy with their partner?

Ive heard sexercise its a great way to shead the pounds.Im not a gym bunny myself prefer to swim or walks.
Has anyone ditched the gym and tried sexercise to boost weightloss?
Am sure ill try it as what a fun way to lose weight and sure my BF will be delighted lol.
But im interested in sucess stories ...........could it be better, workout wise that the gym?????

Last edited by lucky8; 06-15-2009 at 09:48 AM.
lucky8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 09:34 AM   #2  
Ruth

S/C/G: 98.0/95.5/69.0

Height: 173cm

The problem with your proposal is the sustained effort required. Don't know about you, but I'm pretty sure I'd be walking like a rodeo rider if I tried sexercise for an hour a day, 5 days a week!

It makes a nice supplement, but I won't be using it as a substitute for running and weight training any time soon.
Primm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 09:40 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 192/192/160

Height: 5'6"

i'm with Primm! i don't think my hips could handle it... oh dear, the things we talk about here...
skinnywish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 09:50 AM   #4  
Loving life!!

S/C/G: 360/159/145

Height: 5' 8"

It might be a good supplement but I don't think I'd get quite enough of a workout to burn the calories I'm used to burning Plus I like to focus in the moment and if I had to wonder if I'm burning enough calories in a particular position it would totally throw me out of my game and goodbye "O"!
TJFitnessDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 10:06 AM   #5  
Amazing will be me

quite surprised at responses so far not in a bad way ..........but i thought this would have been a popular or interesting subject. Im shocked people would rather run or sweat in the gym. But thats personal preferance thats cool.
Looking forward to some responces where people have went ahead with this idea and seen results.Or would try it them selves. As for 1hr per day 5days aweek ? thats pretty much what we have anyway if not more! Im on about have ppl used it as an alternative maybe for a month or so? and had more and seen results , with weightloss. I believe exercise is about variety and fun as i say i like to swim and do long walks. But as a alternative it's a fun way to work out, and boost calorie burning.
Old 06-15-2009, 10:25 AM   #6  
Workin' It

Well, when DH and I first started dating back in 2005 I didn't eat as much and sex was my only exercise (and there was a lot of it) and I lost about 20 pounds in the first six months of the relationship. Actually, lost from almost 170 down to about 135, but didn't maintain it and went back up to close to 150. Maintained the 'sexercise' in abundance, mind you, just didn't maintain the not eating as much.

Sex is definitely a part of my daily plan, but as a supplement to fitness rather than a planned part of the program. I'm with the others who don't want to find themselves planning out the activities... "Okay, I need 30 minutes tonight, up on my hands and knees would be good because I need some upper arm work right now", etc. I think that might be distracting to me.

I do target some of my other exercises to enhance the sex life as well - some ab exercises and yoga really enhance the intimate activities! And, when everyone is hale and healthy my target is daily sexual activity, so definitely part of my long term life plans.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 10:49 AM   #7  
Ruth

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky8 View Post
As for 1hr per day 5days aweek ? thats pretty much what we have anyway if not more!
So you have sex every day (pretty much) for long enough and physically enough to raise your heart rate to a level where you are burning the same calories as you do in the gym?

You go girl! Personally I can't do anything lying down that raises my heart rate that high, except for at the end. And I sure as heck couldn't keep it up for an hour.

Don't count foreplay, that doesn't get the blood pumping fast enough.

I'm with the ones who say I enjoy it far too much to plan what I'm going to do. I'd rather focus on my husband than whether or not I've burned my daily allocation of calories.

FYI, I've tried it once with my heart rate monitor, just for laughs. About 45 minutes of fairly active action burned about 100 calories. Not enough for me, I'm afraid.
Old 06-15-2009, 11:02 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 157/140/135

Height: 5'4"

Honey, your partner must be about 25 years old. My hubby, bless his heart, is not up to the sustained challenge any more of keeping our heart rates up that high for long enough to burn any large quantity of calories!
Thinfor5Minutes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 11:20 AM   #9  

LOL!!!No thanks.Id rather run a marathon.But then, I have 3 kids, a full time job and 20 year marraige..........those were the days!!
harrismm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 11:25 AM   #10  
Amazing will be me

thanks for your replys has been fun reading. Though i must stress ........im not meaning it in terms of oh must do this position for so long to get off this many calories. Just looking at it as a twist in routine. Theres no way id be thinking of calories im burning i love it to much lol. Just as a challenge of uping acitvity to try for a short while to kick start and add to my other exercise. As lets face it , id rather have an extra sesh in the bedroom than an xtra half hour on the treadmill. But thats just me..............suppose sexercise is just the lazy girls way of keeping trim ............and if it works (which im gona try) then thats for me lol
Ps yeah me and my bf are 24 years old.So may aswell take advantage as were not getting any younger lol.
Thanks for your responses has been interesting finding out ppls views xxxxxxxxx
Old 06-15-2009, 03:48 PM   #11  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

Unless you're having incredibly acrobatic sex, it is hard for sex to match the calorie burn, minute-for-minute, with something like running on the treadmill or biking.

I've worn my heart rate monitor during sex (YES, I'm a data geek) and it didn't compare.
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 04:57 PM   #12  
Amazing will be me

Wink

Oh well gota be worth a try anyway lol

Last edited by lucky8; 06-15-2009 at 04:59 PM.
Old 06-16-2009, 01:23 AM   #13  
Ruth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
I've worn my heart rate monitor during sex (YES, I'm a data geek) and it didn't compare.
Not just me then? Must admit, I had to stop and turn the beeps off - that gets pretty distracting! Was an interesting exercise (pardon the pun) but not one that I'll be repeating.
Old 06-16-2009, 01:29 AM   #14  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

OK, ya'll have to promise not to judge me. PROMISE!

So, when I first got my heart rate monitor, which calculated calories burned based on my heart rate while I went about my day, I was curious about this question. So yes, I wore it. During a variety of "activities", requiring different levels of effort. Luckily, I have a partner who thinks I'm cute, not strange.

Bottom line - no activity (even the, er, vigorous ones) got my heart rate up even close to moderate cardio levels. So it's not that I'd RATHER go to the gym (sexercise is much more fun!), but that it just doesn't have the same cardiovascular benefits as more traditional forms of exercise.

But then...ANYTHING beyond sitting on the couch is extra calories burned, so as a supplement, feel free to get plenty of "bonus" exercise that way! But as a direct substitute, it really doesn't measure up quite the same way.

ETA: I didn't read all the responses before replying...can I just say how much better I feel knowing that other people wore their heart rate monitors??? I felt like a crazy freak!
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 01:33 AM   #15  
Ruth

I think we can safely say that makes us all freaks then! That's why I had to turn the sound down on mine, because I had it set at a minimum and maximum HR, and I wasn't making the minimum for aerobic exercise.

This thread has made my day! Thanks lucky8 for asking the question!

I'll have to tell my hubby there are other nerdy geeks out there like me who did that experiment with their HRM as well. He thinks I'm a bit weird...