Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 02-11-2009, 10:05 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 308/284/160

Height: 5'5"

Default The elliptical is the DEVIL!

Well, not really! But it does make my feet numb and tingly! Does anyone else have this problem? I'm hoping that as I work out and lose weight, that sensation will go away! Any cures for it? I'm open to suggestions!

I have signed up with a personal trainer, 2 sessions for the next 6 weeks. We started on Tuesday. Let me just say, it was quite the workout! She pushed me much harder than I would have pushed myself. It's so great to really have someone in your corner rooting for you and helping you reach your goal. And the best part, she isn't judging me. At least, that's how I feel.

I was so scared to go into the gym with all these skinny, fit people, and having them think, "She NEEDS to be in a fat farm, not a gym!" But my experience has been quite the opposite! Everyone is very friendly, the trainers are great, and I'm feeling more positive about this as days go by.

My ultimate goal is 5 days a week at the gym. Two with the trainer, 3 on my own doing cardio. Getting up at 530a is NOT easy, but I really have to say that I like exercising in the morning! It's quieter, more machines available. And the workout is DONE and I don't have to worry about it after work! So far this week, I'm 3 for 3!

I am so excited about this new life I'm embarking on! Bring on that DEVIL! I am ready!!!!

lindalou0510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 10:11 AM   #2  
FB

I did have that problem when I first started using it, but don't anymore. I honestly don't know whether it's related to weight and circulation or not.

My solution was to change the position of my feet often and the direction of my stride every so often (going from forwards to backwards in movement).

Congrats on taking that huge step with the trainer and gym! It is pretty darned exciting, isn't it?
FB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 10:22 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 147/142/125

Height: 5'3

Yes I have that problem every time I use that machine. Within 20 min I'm feeling it. Sometimes I go backward just to make my feet feel better.
I like the eliptical because I tend to burn more calories on it.

I work on that machine for 30 min then go to the treadmil and then the bike.
butterflywings34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 10:27 AM   #4  

Height: 5'2"

Congrats on joining, and going, to the gym. I always thought that I would never join a gym but my sister talked me into it and now I love it. I get that same feeling in my feet after awhile on the elliptical. I found that it gets better after time and also if I change my elevation a little. Good luck.
ladybug20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 10:32 AM   #5  
I'm not fat, I'm fluffy

S/C/G: 198.5/191/168

Height: 5'2

The elliptical is pretty devilish, but at least I don't feel like I'm going to fall off the damn thing.... I have a huge issue with treadmills!
sarahnotsega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 10:34 AM   #6  

Yep.. me too. Tingly toes. Happens after about 30-40 minutes on the thing every time. I just switch over to the recumbant bike on days I am doing a longer cardio workout. Moving the feet around a bit helps, but I've not found a way to get rid of it completely.

I hope you enjoy the trainer. I see mine 2 days a week and then do cardio after I meet with him and then do the same workouts later in the week with cardio and one day of pure cardio. They do indeed push you to places you've never been and beleive me, she/he will find your most hated exercises and make you do those!! You'll develop a real friendship with them, even though some days you wanna smack them.
LindaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 10:54 AM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaT View Post
They do indeed push you to places you've never been and beleive me, she/he will find your most hated exercises and make you do those!! You'll develop a real friendship with them, even though some days you wanna smack them.

I told my trainer yesterday, I'm smiling now, but I curse you after I leave!
Old 02-11-2009, 10:54 AM   #8  

I'm about to go use that devil myself right now. My sister has a gym-quality elliptical in her basement that I try to get over and use 2 days a week. I also get the numb toes thing but it's worth it.

Congrats on hiring a trainer and volunteering to have your butt kicked. I'm sure it will be well worth it.
bindersbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 11:01 AM   #9  

LOL! You do sign yourself up for the pain with a trainer! But I believe that in the beginning, it's the kick and boost I needed to get myself to the gym! She would totally kick my @ss if I didn't show up!
Old 02-11-2009, 12:49 PM   #10  
Workin' It

There could be too reasons for the tingly toes, in my opinion:
one, your shoes could be laced too tight and your toes start to tingle as your feet swell during exercise. Mine do it after 20-30 minutes of running unless I leave my shoes loose around the toes and tighter at the ankle. It has also happened to me the last couple of times I've been on the elliptical - I use my old shoes instead of my new running shoes on there and I always lace them too tight - loosened them up last night and had no problem.

two, tingly toes on the elliptical are often caused by posture. If you are leaning a little forward you put more weight on your toe than your heel causing them to go to sleep a little. I have to consciously lean back, to the point where I feel a little tippy, to keep this from happening to me. This kind of tingly usually happens to me right after I start the workout . As I got more accustomed to the elliptical machine I developed a better posture and the tingly went away, until I took a two week break from exercise post surgery. When I started back last week I immediately went back to my slightly forward leaning asleep toes posture.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 02:29 PM   #11  

S/C/G: HW 176/SW 163/CW ticker/GW 120

Height: 5'4"

hmm. maybe i will experiment with the posture thing. that seems the most plausible to me so far, based on my experience. i ALWAYS had tingling and numbness in my feet whenever i use the elliptical, which is exactly why i never use the elliptical. it really weirds me out. i stamp my feet a bit when that happens, but it only helps a little bit. if anybody could really get to the bottom of the matter, that would be fantastic. i'd love to finally get myself off the treadmill. these shin splints are killing me.
sws19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 03:24 PM   #12  

I really do like working out on the elliptical. I feel like i get a great workout, but the tingly toes...drives me nuts! I will try the posture thingy! Maybe that will help! Thanks!
Old 02-11-2009, 04:57 PM   #13  
FB

Oh! Maybe it is posture - good explanation! See, when I first started using them I held the handles for support, and would often suffer the tingly toes. Nowadays I go without touching anything, no support - and have no problem with the feet. I'll bet the handles caused bad posture for me (I'm pretty tall and had to stoop to reach them).
FB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 02:44 AM   #14  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

A couple of other suggestions that might help with the tingly toes on the elliptical:
  • Make sure your feet stay flat on the pedals, that you aren't rising up on the balls of your feet. I have a hard time keeping my left foot flat and, wouldn't you know, that's the one that I usually get the tingly toe feeling in.
  • Concentrate on pushing down with your heels, rather than with the balls of your feet or your toes. This will help you keep your feet flat, which keeps the pressure on your feet evenly distributed.

Last edited by BlueToBlue; 02-12-2009 at 02:44 AM.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 11:25 AM   #15  

Today, I got on the devil, and I tried the posture thing, and putting more weight on my heels instead of the balls of my feet! OMG it worked! My feet didn't get that numb, tingly feeling...AND I could feel my legs working differently than they had before!

Thanks for all the advice!