Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 01-04-2009, 07:08 PM   #31  

S/C/G: 210/164/140

Height: 5'8"

Hi dreamer!

I'm glad you didn't completely fall victim to the thoughts and attitudes of others! I did, and it kept me from trying to learn something I was fascinated with for over 20 years (I'm 40). There are a lot of bad attitudes out there about how you 'should' look to do belly dancing. When I told my mother I had taken it up, there was stunned silence, then a comment about how I 'had plenty of belly' for it. That comment hurt me way more than I ever let on, but I wasn't going to let it stop me, now that I have found the will to do it.

I have done my own practicing to videos and I also take a class. I learn waaaaaay more in the class then I do with the videos. The instructor can give you feedback on what you are doing right and wrong, and how to practice certain muscle movements until you learn to control them properly.

Do you have access to a community rec centre or a Y with classes? Maybe a local college or university offers classes? I'm assuming you are a student and would qualify for a reduced rate? Perhaps you can 'barter' for classes - maybe exchange babysitting with an instructor for a few private lessons. Would your mother (or another family member) be willing to pay, or help you pay, for some classes?

BP
bopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 12:41 AM   #32  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 300/235/190

Height: 5'7

Oh heck yes baby! I'm in here.

I do weight training and running, but my bellydance is for fun and relaxing in the evening.

There's a few free workouts on youtube also. "Temple of Jehan Workout" is excellent (but not for beginners!!). There's the Goddess Workout with Dolphinia (too slow and cheesy for me though) and there's a few Veena and Neena videos (just search 'em on youtube) that are there that people can try without buying.

By far my favorite VHS was Kathy Smith's bellydance video. She's terrible, but she was dancing with some bellydance stars (Ansunya).

For great music downloads, I go to demna DOT com.

Last edited by TempleBody; 01-05-2009 at 12:45 AM.
TempleBody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 02:25 AM   #33  

I signed back up for classes! Woo hoo! They don't start for two and a half weeks though

I've been practicing almost every day at home, but it's not the same as the class

BP
Old 01-08-2009, 08:19 AM   #34  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

Hi dreamer!

For the figure 8 being drawn on the floor, this is how I break it down to my students:

~Get yourself in good dance posture FIRST. Chest and head lifted, long neck, shoulders down (not scrunched up), tailbone slightly tucked under (so you don't have your lower back swayed) feet close together and facing forward, and finally, knees soft and slightly bent.

~To break down the movement, think about each hip performing one "loop" in the 8, and the center of your body being the "center" of the 8 where the loops intersect.

~Twist your left hip diagonally forward a bit. Think about making your left hipbone point towards the corner of the room. Then, push that same hip around to the BACK CORNER of the room. (Assuming that you are facing a wall in your home.) Your hips should be in a slightly diagonal position now, with the left hip towards the back corner of the room, and the right hip towards the front corner of the room.

~Slide your hips diagonally in this same position, so that you are pushing your right hip forward towards the right front corner of the room.

~Then, repeat the same motion with your right hip as you did on the left hip-push your right hip back and around now, so that it points towards the BACK RIGHT CORNER of the room.

~Now, your left hip will be facing diagonally forward. Slide through your "center" and push your left hip towards the FRONT CORNER of the room.

~You keep repeating this in a soft, even motion. For a nice forward figure 8.

When you do this movement in the mirror, what you want to look for as far as technique, is when you lift up your shirt and look at your waistband of your pants-check that the waistband of your pants (and therefore your hips) stay "even". You don't want your hips doing any "up and down" motion. You want an even figure 8 traced onto the floor.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 11:17 PM   #35  
Hooping my Life Away

S/C/G: 298/218.1/170

I am thinking about starting bellydancing in a few weeks. What should I expect? There is a hour half long class and an hour long class. I'm really nervous about it since I will be plus size and it's a beginning tribal class.
Daimere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 07:27 AM   #36  

Since you are starting a TRIBAL/ATS style class, know that it is a completely different format than traditional belly dance. Tribal belly dance is an American creation-it isn't the traditional belly dance that comes from the Middle East.

Tribal belly dance, at least traditional ATS style, is always done in a group, or tribe. In the beginning class, most likely the instructor will teach you basic moves and isolations for the most part. Later, though, you will learn about tribal cues and improvisation in the class. You will learn how to dance in a group, and work with that group or "tribe".

Tribal belly dance has much more earthy costumes, and earthier styled music. If you want to know what to expect from a tribal class, try googling "Fat Chance Belly Dance" and "Gypsy Caravan" which I would consider to be two of the best, most traditional American Tribal Style belly dance groups. It will give you a better idea of what to expect as far as the movements/music/costuming of the style that are getting ready to take a class for.

Don't worry about being plus sized! I have had a couple of babies along the way of my belly dance journey-and have danced anywhere from 160 pounds all the way up to about 240 and about to go into labor!

Be prepared to dance in bare feet, and wear something comfy like a fitted baby tee shirt or yoga tank, and comfy pants like yoga pants, etc.

Good luck on your new class! Let me know if you have any more questions!
Old 01-12-2009, 09:42 AM   #37  
Hooping my Life Away

In my town, the only place that teaches bellydance is tribal dance studio. I wish there was another place that teaches traditional bellydance. Either way, I'm not going to complain! At least there is something because I really do want to dance. I'll probably try to force myself to go in the next few weeks when I have money. I've been saying I will do this for a year and I think I'm ready this time around.
Old 01-13-2009, 12:48 AM   #38  

Daimere - I'd go for the tribal! It's one of the styles I want to explore once I get the hang of my more traditional Egyptian style. It looks like so much fun.

I wouldn't let your size get in your way! I used that as an excuse for a long time and now I really regret the wasted years. My instructor has two girls in her troupe that are plus sized - one is about my weight, and the other sounds like she pretty close to yours. They are both amazing dancers, and the fact that they are plus sized does not make them any less able to do it. It was really great for me to see them because it dispelled the last of my fears about being too fat to dance.

One thing I found a bit frustrating as a heavier newbie (I just started in September, so I'm a newbie too), was that it's kind of hard to get visual feedback on your abdominal muscles. Learning to move them independently takes a fair bit of practice, and I found I had to use my hands to feel what they were doing as it's kind of hard to see them I have just begun to be able to move them independently, and now I can see the belly move sort of as it is supposed to, but I had to learn that by feel.

BP
Old 01-13-2009, 05:01 AM   #39  

S/C/G: 225/221/130

Height: 5'1"

Hi my name is Robin. I just found the Shimmy program on FitTv, I have a dvr so I can record all the episodes. I've been doing one to two episodes a night for the past couple days. I would like to take classes but the independent studios cost too much for me right now and the one at school is only once a week and I work that day.
Medea5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 05:32 AM   #40  
Hooping my Life Away

bopeep- how do you think bellydancing has helped your weight loss? The more positive things I tell myself, the more likely I will go. And thanks for the ab trick! I'll remember that.
Old 01-13-2009, 07:11 AM   #41  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daimere View Post
bopeep- how do you think bellydancing has helped your weight loss? The more positive things I tell myself, the more likely I will go. And thanks for the ab trick! I'll remember that.
bopeep-
It's funny that you mention the hand thing...that is how I first teach my students to do belly rolls, or anything involving isolating the ab muscles. I have ALL of the students do this, not just the heavier students.

Daimere-
I have found that certain areas of my body have definitely changed over the past 8+ years that I have been involved with ME dance. My quadriceps are much, much stronger because of the slightly bent knee'd posture. My oblique muscles, and the upper part of my center ab muscles (the top of the 6 pack) are much more apparent. My shoulders are much more capped, and firmer/tighter. My ankles have slimmed down. I have always been very curvy with a smaller torso, bigger chest, and bigger through the hips/thighs and I will always be shaped that way-but the shape of the curves has changed. My butt is much more "bubbled" now from the years of dancing in a semi-squated dance posture with the bent knees. As long as I continue to belly dance professionally-I will never have a "flat" bum. My posture in my upper body is much, much better-even when just standing and talking normally.

There have been LOTS of changes in me from dance.
Old 01-13-2009, 12:08 PM   #42  

aphil - I can see why it's a good idea to teach everyone to move their abdominal muscles with the hands. I figured it out on my own, and it made a big difference. I do like my instructor, and I do find I'm learning a lot from her, but I wish she would teach more bare bones basics, like you do, in her beginner class!

daimere - I found belly dancing was really good for helping me lose weight - my weight had plateaued for several months prior to my classes, and the dancing jump started the weight loss again. BUT - I was attending two to three 90 minute classes a week, and practicing at home. That's a fair bit of activity and would result in weight loss regardless of what sort of dance I was doing. I fell head over heals in love with the dance, so wanted to do all I could, and the 90 minute classes passed in an eyeblink!

I have noticed some things have really improved in my three months of learning. I already had pretty decent muscles from doing light weights for nearly a year, but my endurence with those muscles has improved. My posture is already much better, and I have developed a bit of a bounce in my step - I don't plod along anymore! I have had some knee and hip pain for most of my life (minor arthritis and joint issues), and the pain has completely disappeared. My pectoral muscles are developing for the first time ever (I always hated working them, so they got neglected), and this has brought 'the girls' to a better and less saggy position. My hubby has also noticed some serious muscle development, ummmm, 'down there'...

medea - Hi! Welcome! I have to say, that I found I learned way more in classes. The videos aren't a bad way to learn or to introduce yourself to belly dancing, but if you can find some affordable classes, it's so much better. The one thing that I think makes a class so valuable, is that you get an instructor who will correct your posture or movements. It's really hard to see what you're doing wrong when you're following a video - you think you're moving in a certain way, but if you were to look in a large mirror, it's often not what you thought you were doing! Have you checked into your local recreation centres? They often have dance classes, and maybe one will offer BD (my class is through a local rec centre). Another thing to check, is to call those expensive local dance studios, and ask if the teacher allows drop in students - you don't sign up or pay for the season's worth of classes, but just pay for one class at a time (usually $10-20 per class). This is not a very cost efficent way to learn if you're taking more than a few classes, but if you are learning mostly at home, a couple of classes would give you an oppertunity to have some feedback on what you are doing right or wrong.

10 more days till my class starts back up!

BP
Old 01-13-2009, 07:04 PM   #43  

S/C/G: 225/221/130

Height: 5'1"

bopeep- I would love to take classes but I can't find any that work with my schedule. I'm gonna keep looking but there isn't much going on around here.
Medea5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 07:09 PM   #44  
Hooping my Life Away

Quote:
I have noticed some things have really improved in my three months of learning. I already had pretty decent muscles from doing light weights for nearly a year, but my endurence with those muscles has improved. My posture is already much better, and I have developed a bit of a bounce in my step - I don't plod along anymore! I have had some knee and hip pain for most of my life (minor arthritis and joint issues), and the pain has completely disappeared. My pectoral muscles are developing for the first time ever (I always hated working them, so they got neglected), and this has brought 'the girls' to a better and less saggy position. My hubby has also noticed some serious muscle development, ummmm, 'down there'..
Those are some great things I would love. Especially the reduction of knee pain!

Quote:
I have found that certain areas of my body have definitely changed over the past 8+ years that I have been involved with ME dance. My quadriceps are much, much stronger because of the slightly bent knee'd posture. My oblique muscles, and the upper part of my center ab muscles (the top of the 6 pack) are much more apparent. My shoulders are much more capped, and firmer/tighter. My ankles have slimmed down. I have always been very curvy with a smaller torso, bigger chest, and bigger through the hips/thighs and I will always be shaped that way-but the shape of the curves has changed. My butt is much more "bubbled" now from the years of dancing in a semi-squated dance posture with the bent knees. As long as I continue to belly dance professionally-I will never have a "flat" bum. My posture in my upper body is much, much better-even when just standing and talking normally.
That is all great! My mom has theorized that if I ever become skinny, I will have a flat butt. :P

I emailed the lady this week and the teacher got back to me real quick. She is very encouraging, especially with fitness of different ranges. I will force myself to do it this weekend or next Tuesday. I'm so excited and this is helping me to push myself into it. I'm very shy and new things kill me. If I don't know the ins and outs, I back out of it out of fear.
Old 01-14-2009, 07:06 AM   #45  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medea5 View Post
bopeep- I would love to take classes but I can't find any that work with my schedule. I'm gonna keep looking but there isn't much going on around here.

I recommend that if you take a look at Shira.net and look at her instructor list in your area. Contact ALL of them, and see if any work with your schedule. Also, if the classes don't work with your schedule, ask the instructors that you contact if they know of other instructors in the area-because not ALL of them are listed in the online directories. There are going to be dancers and classes out there available, but you have to dig around to find them.