Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 10-20-2008, 10:24 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 282/ticker/145

Height: 5'6"

Default Exercise ideas for my mom?

So my mom just turned 65. I'm trying to find a way to get her started in some sort of exercise routine. I live in California and she's in Pennsylvania, so I can't physically be with her. She lives in the middle of nowhere, so no gyms or anything. I'm thinking probably along the lines of DVD's or books or something along those lines. The thing is she's not in the whole exercise in a chair category, but she's certainly not in great shape. Not to mention she's a smoker. No lunges and step aerobics and plyos...nothing of that difficulty. Any suggestion? Possibly something specifically for her age group?
stacylambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 10:57 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 195/161/144

Height: 5'9"

2 words: WALK ING!!
She might need a friend to go with, or you could get her a little i-pod for a gift, so she'll have something nice to listen to as she goes.
Kofarq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 11:05 PM   #3  
One day at a time

S/C/G: 220/191/186

Leslie Sansone's WATP (Walk Away The Pounds)! They have lots of dvd's for walking in the home and even one or more for people your moms age...and it's easy! Good luck
FrouFrou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 01:49 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 282/ticker/145

Kofarq, yes I know walking would be the obvious one, but with winter and coming up I knew that wouldn't be someone she could start and keep up with for any amount of time. In the spring that will definitely be an option. An i-pod is a great idea though! Maybe I'll get her one for Christmas...

FrouFrou, thank you! I never thought of the WATP videos. I've never done them myself because I was looking for higher intensity, but I bet those would be great for her.
stacylambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 03:10 AM   #5  
One Day At A Time

S/C/G: 318/ticker/150

Height: 5'5"

I vote for CURVES.....the clientele there range immensely! The atmosphere is really relaxed, lots of chit chat, some giggles, and you work out the whole body in 30 minutes during a circuit. There's some up beat music, and, hopefully, really enthusiastic people that work there. I loved going there but really wanted to do the real-gym thing, weights and treadmills/cardio and stuff. But Curves was fun, and could be as challenging or as easy as you want it to be. Hope there is one near her!

Or she could look into any gym, or a YMCA...yeah you say she isn't a big exerciser yet, but she can walk on a treadmill and some of those places (my rec center here) have aerobics classes specifically for older adults. I did some cardio and watched one of those once, they walked laps around the gym, did some resistance band exercises in a chair, lifted 2 lb weights stuff like that.

Oh well crap, I just re-read about her not being near any gyms or anywhere, LOL but I'll leave the post up for advice to someone...but I think Curves are popping up all over this Ohio/PA area.
NurseMichelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 09:49 AM   #6  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

My mom has a gazelle and that is how she got into exercising. She would do her gazelle while watching tv.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 01:33 PM   #7  
MBN

S/C/G: 150/G:finding the happy me

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by stacylambert View Post
Kofarq, yes I know walking would be the obvious one, but with winter and coming up I knew that wouldn't be someone she could start and keep up with for any amount of time. .
Don't dismiss the walking idea quite yet -- maybe she can find an indoor venue for walking in bad weather. Most local malls have "mall walkers" that go early and do laps. It's safe, climate controlled, and has a social aspect to it too. Walking is such a great exercise because it is so accessible, and free!

Just a thought!
MBN is offline   Reply With Quote