Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 08-05-2008, 09:43 AM   #16  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

Great job, Amanda!
Isn't it great when everything just falls into place and you can run like there is no tomorrow?
I will be running tomorrow morning but humidity is on the rise here again.
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 12:00 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 224/221/160

Height: 5' 7"

Hi Ladies
I ran/jogged/walked two miles!!! I cant beleive i did it, it did take 35-40minutes, but now i know it is possible! today I am lifting with Jari and then tomorrow I cant wait to see if i can do it again!
I told my husband my dream is to start running outside, i just feel i am too slow to run outside and to run in a race.
Parveen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 07:56 PM   #18  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatoramanda View Post
I ran my first ever 5 miles straight up no breaks! I ran it in 53:30....and down another pound to boot!
~A
WAY TO GO!
That is just awesome, I bet you felt like you were on cloud 9 at the end of that run!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parveen View Post
I ran/jogged/walked two miles!!!
WHOO HOO! Way to go! Of course it is possible, you'll be running outside and racing before you even know it!

Today I did 5.93 miles on the treadmill because I missed my weather window this morning (too hot to run after 7am!). I pushed the incline up starting at 4 and all the wayup to 15, which was quite.... how shall I say it... challenging!! Sure got my heart rate up I can tell you!
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 08:26 PM   #19  
needs constant reminding

S/C/G: 164/maintenance since 8/08

Height: 5'4"

Runners-- I'm trying to ramp up mileage but opportunities are decreasing. What's your opinion on two mod runs in one day vs. one long run?
kittycat40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 08:31 PM   #20  
Michelle the Vegan

Two runs in a day is fine! Lots of people split their runs up like that. Unless you are training for one long race (and then you need to have the long time on the road all at once).

Go for it!
Old 08-05-2008, 08:31 PM   #21  
needs constant reminding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
Two runs in a day is fine! Lots of people split their runs up like that. Unless you are training for one long race (and then you need to have the long time on the road all at once).

Go for it!
Thanks dude!
Old 08-05-2008, 08:36 PM   #22  
No description available.

I agree with Josephine. It kinda depends on your goals. I think if you are trying for a half or full marathon, there is no replacing a long run each week. But if it is for fitness or in combo with a long run per week, why not? I am actually a little jealous of folks who zip in multiple runs in a day.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 10:13 PM   #23  
needs constant reminding

Well, I'd like to to a half marathon (can't find timely local one) and a full marathon (in NJ this May) but I'm not quite mentally there. I figure if I work on getting physically closer my mind will follow
I may just do my own half marathon. In 2 weeks I'll be on vacation in upstate NY. There is a 6 miler that I have done recently. I'm thinking I'll do it there and back vs just back (it's this cute little farm that DH and I visit with the kiddies).
So far the longest run I've done is 8.3ish (last week or so). I'd like to get a 10er in prior to this personal challenge.

thanks for your input gals it is much appreciated
Old 08-05-2008, 10:18 PM   #24  

If you can run 8 miles, you can run a half marathon. Sounds like a great goal!
Old 08-05-2008, 10:19 PM   #25  

S/C/G: 205/154 CW/140-145ish GW

Height: 5'6.5"

Default Venturing into this thread for the first time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parveen View Post
!
I told my husband my dream is to start running outside, i just feel i am too slow to run outside and to run in a race.
You're never too slow to run outside! And if you can find a walker friendly race (many 5Ks are open to walkers as well), that might be a good race to start with, because you can always alternate walking and running if you need to. Of course you never know what race adrenaline will do for you though! I just always try to remember that even if I come in last place, I'm still ahead of the guy who never got up off the couch! Speaking of which, my daughter came in dead last in a small race once, but she was the only one in her age group, so she got a first place trophy. She was about 12 or 13 at the time and thought it was the coolest thing ever - lol!

I thought I'd finally venture into this thread. I've been running on and off for years, but really started increasing my distance this year. I'm still slower than molasses, but I really enjoy it and it definitely helps keep my weight in check!
jenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 10:22 PM   #26  
needs constant reminding

Hi Jenguin!
That 8.3er took me close to 2 hours, hee. I knew I was going for a long run so I took it REALLY easy. Still felt GREAT at the end
Old 08-05-2008, 10:45 PM   #27  

S/C/G: 205/154 CW/140-145ish GW

Height: 5'6.5"

Hi Kittycat! I know what you mean about that great feeling when you're done. I always feel so much better when I've finished a run!

It's exciting that you are looking to do a half, then full marathon. I did a 20K at the end of May, which is about .7 miles short of a half, and am currently training to run the Des Moines Marathon in mid-October. I'm sure I will be one of the last people to finish, but finishing is my only goal. I agree with midwife - if you can run 8, you can run a half!
jenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 08:07 AM   #28  
Michelle the Vegan

Welcome Jenquin! And I agree with your advice to Parveen! I just don't think speed matters, period.

My one and only first place 5k race finish came when nobody else was in my age group, lol! I LOVED it, because I'm nowhere near the top three usually, so I treasure my first place medal! My dad won first place in HIS age group that same race, except he actually HAD serious competition (he's really fast, I'm really NOT). But it was fun with both of us getting to go up and get awards!

Last edited by Mrs Snark; 08-06-2008 at 08:07 AM.
Old 08-06-2008, 08:44 AM   #29  

Parveen, run outside if you want to and definitely do a race. I was a slow-poke runner for years and it didn't stop me! How slow was I? Little old men passed me *walking* but I didn't care! I had people tell me, "I saw you out walking the other day." Ahem, I was RUNNING! Slow, yes, but running nonetheless, and I do not use the term jogging.

And now, suddenly, I am faster. Which is very cool, don't get me wrong, but it took a lot of 12-13 minute miles to get me where I am now.
Old 08-06-2008, 03:57 PM   #30  

S/C/G: 224/221/160

Height: 5' 7"

Thanks for the push, I think I will just have to do it! I will have to think what I will do abotu the keys, cellphone ect that I have to carry with me though....will let you know when I do it, but tonight it will be on the treadmill, I actually am excited to workout tonight! and "run"!!
I am also seeing the benefits of running, I havent lost any "weight" since i am also lifting weights and I assume my leg muscles are being built up due to the running. But I lost my doublechin, legs are slimmer and the post babies tummy puch is vertially dissapeared!!! so I am happy!!
Parveen is offline   Reply With Quote