Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 04-01-2008, 04:22 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 170/140

Height: 5'4''

Arrow What exercises are best for those with little time?

Hi everyone! I'm new to 3FC and am in need of some guidance. I work nights as a nurse in a very busy ICU. Needless to say, by the time I get home, I'm extremely tired and go to bed immediately. I work three 12 hour shifts a week, and I usually end up sleeping the day before and the day after I get off of work. I'm looking for some exercises that will burn fat (of course!) and promote toning. I already have the muscle, it's just burried under fat! My problem area is mainly my middle section. My diet isn't really a problem. If there are some intense and/or very effective exercises that I could squeeze in before bed or on my days off that you can share with me, I'd appreciate it so very much!

ash
ashRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 02:34 PM   #2  
Rennie

S/C/G: 228/Ticker/120

Height: 4 foot 11 inches

ashrn
I happen to like Leslie Sansone walking/aerobic videos. I use dumbbells with some of them. They are a nice all over cardio workout and you get resistance training by using a booster, such as a dumbbell with the workout. You burn calories, build muscle and tone all at the same time. This in no way means you get enough muscle building going on but they are a nice all around workout. I am sure others will post great ideas to get good workouts in a short period of time. I have a friend that is a nurse and she told me a few things she does at work. Kick backs, raiseing the foot to the bum, while she stands and does paper work. Carrys a set of dumbbells and raises them up above her head and out to the sides while she walks the halls. She also says she does squats while doing paper work too. Hope some of this helps.
Shy Moment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 03:13 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 210/164/140

Height: 5'8"

I worked as an orderly in a hospital for four years, and my mum was a nurse too, so I understand the shift thing and how tiring it is being on your feet and lifting patients all day is. Not fun! While I worked at the hospital, I started a fitness program and managed to stick with it for a couple of years - I really found that getting exercise made me have waaaay more energy to get through the day and I needed less sleep on my off days. It's hard to find the time to do any proper exercise at first, but if you squeeze in five or ten minutes here and there a few times a day it'll get you started and you'll eventually have the time and energy to fit in more.

At work:

Instead of taking the elevator, head for the stairs.

Does your Occupational Health department have any fitness at work programs? There may be fitness classes on site during your lunch period. Or go speed walking around the block.

Some hospitals allow staff to use the physio pool during off hours (getting rare these days because of liability issues).

At home:

Do you watch the news or other TV show? Get an elliptical or stationary bike you can use while you're watching (they're quiet so you won't disturb neighbours at night and you can hear the TV). Get some hand held weights and use those while sitting or standing in front of the TV.

Even if you can't fit in any exercising on work days, doing some exercise on your off days is way better than getting no exercise - after a few weeks, you'll find you have more energy anyway and that will make it easier to fit in a few more minutes here and there. Don't worry about doing 30-60 minutes at a time - fit in what you can, when you can and it'll add up eventually.

And take another hard and critical look at your diet. I have always eaten a very healthy diet, but that didn't keep the weight off as I was eating too much of it. There are also always a lot more hidden calories in what you're eating then you think - sugar or cream in coffee, mayo or butter on a sandwich, a beer or a glass of wine can also sneak up on your waist, nuts and dried fruit are healthy but FULL of calories, etc... Write down *everything* you eat and how much, and you'll see where you can cut out a hundred or more calories every day.

BP
bopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 03:33 PM   #4  
Wish It~Dream It~Do It

S/C/G: 230/144.2/146

Height: 5ft3

look into some HIIT, high intensity interval training, its great for fat burning , 20 minutes 3 times a week! good luck!
BlzMaxGnrCCJkMly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 06:00 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 168/ 163/ 145

Height: 5 4

Hello all!

Jillian Michaels has a 22 min. workout called "30 pound shred". I get it free on Comcast "On Demand". It is pretty intense - it includes 3 minutes of cardio, 3 minutes of weight training, then 3 minutes of abs, then she repeats this cycle of cardio-weight-abs a few more times. She promises big results in very little time.
Lisa
lbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 06:46 AM   #6  
Beach Bum

Height: 5' 7"

I would say to start, try to exercise on your 4 days off work each week. Just make yourself for the first 3 weeks, do not miss a day. It takes that long to establish a new habit. Then if you find you have more energy and can do it, add in something on your work days. I am an RN as well, and I know 12 hour shifts well. I can not exercise on those days as my feet hurt after running around for that long. Many of those days can turn into 14 hour days. I did start wearing a pedometer at work. I can check in on my steps occasionally and walk around more if they are low. When I go to get a refill on my ice/water, I will often walk all the way around the hall just to get extra steps. I now take the stairs in the parking garage. I can not find the time to take a walk during my lunch break as it is typically taken on the unit and frequently interupted by patient needs. I still dream of taking a walk mid day at work, maybe some day....
Best wishes, you work a very difficult shift.
Karla

Last edited by SkinnyDogMom; 04-02-2008 at 06:47 AM.
SkinnyDogMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 08:00 AM   #7  
Yogasaurus

S/C/G: 180/120/115

Height: 5' 5"

Hi! I'm just starting to really add in exercise to long days as well! I do 11 hour shifts for 4 days this week (I'm a veterinarin). Boy, you are 100% right- after all that time on your feet, plus lots of lifting and just the intensity of the day, I'm pooped! I'm trying to start those days with about 20 minutes of yoga to get my heart going and stretch tense muscles, and do 10-15 minutes of hand weights at night while watching my "essential" one TV show On days off, I just bought an elliptical cycle and I vow to myself that I'll do 30-45 minutes daily! That plus the rigorous nature of work should keep me healthy, and 3FC should keep me motivated. GOOD LUCK!
Circebee is offline   Reply With Quote