Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 08-21-2007, 06:31 PM   #1  
Starting Over

S/C/G: 255/255/155

Height: 5'7"

Default need running help/advice please!!!

Ok I need advice...

I am in my 8th week od C25K and my body is rebelling. I feel like I am back to square one with the aches and pains plus I felt so out of shape today - my heart rate was up and my breathing was all off - what gives? I run 3 times a week and walk on the other days and normally take 1 day off completely although I have kids so I am always on the go.

Yesterday was supposed to be a run day, but I had pain in my ankle and my quads - like pins and needles pain in the quads and sort of shin slint pain near the ankle. My legs just sort of gave on me and I ended up walking after 5 minutes. I stretched a ton both after that attempted run then at home at night. I even bought a small heating pad and icy hot to try and "fix" myself.

Today I ran outside on grass and I couldn't get moving. It was sort of a sad shuffle like when I first started running. But I was so determined to just make it through. After 10 minutes of running my chest felt like it was going to explode, my legs wouldn't move and my heart was beating way too fast for the exertion I was doing.

I don't get it at all. What the heck am I doing wrong here? Should I take a break from running and do something else (bike, aerobics class, etc) and try again in a few weeks? I was so determined to finish these 9 weeks just to prove to myself that I could do it but I seem to be fading fast. Help!!!
cakses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 06:58 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 155/145/130

Height: 5'7

Default 3 words of advice

I have some advice, and it is only 3 words.........the heart racing, the "chest feeling like it is going to explode".....Please, I am very serious

See your doctor.

maryblu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 07:27 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 153.5/107.5/105

Height: 5'0"

I've been running for about 2 months and if there's one thing I'm realizing it's that somedays I feel like I could go forever, that I'm strong, invincible and go at a good pace. Other days, I'm a bag of crud and truly useless at it, feeling like it's the hardest thing in the world and I just need to stop before I even really get started. Most days fall somewhere in between.

I'd watch that breathing/heart issue though. Are you asthmatic? It may not be a bad idea to see your doctor.
goinforthegold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 07:40 PM   #4  
Getting there...

S/C/G: 195.6/see ticker/135

Height: 5' 6"

Hi Cat! Sorry to hear things aren't going well for you.

Firstly, I would agree - talk to your doctor just to rule out anything serious being wrong. It could help greatly, and it certainly won't hurt. It will probably give you some peace of mind too.

Secondly, I don't think Ct5K had a built-in "easy week" but many learn to run programs do - essentially you drop back a bit for a week and pick up afterward. So perhaps try dopping back to week 7 or so? or wherever you feel comfortable, then picking things back up again. You don't necessarily have to drop back then climb back through the weeks as before, but sometimes taking it easy for a week can help you run stronger. By all means do some cross training activity in that "easy" week (such as swimming) but don't push it - it's supposed to be a rest. I'd not recommend leaving the running off completely though for more than a couple of weeks, unless your doctor recommends it or you've injured yourself.

And could you have injured something? That could sap your energy and willingness to run.

Personally, I'd take a week off, then do an easier week, then perhaps week 8 again. It's hard when you get into a program to stop and regroup, especially if you're worried about having the willpower to start up again. You've done so well so far, this will work out!

Keep positive,
Jax
jaxjob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 09:12 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 261.5/176.5/145

Height: 5.5

Could it be heat? I know it's been killing my runs!
royalsfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 10:35 PM   #6  
Starting Over

I think it was the heat and humidity - I have been running indoors on a treadmill for the last 7 weeks and this was my first outside run. That explains being pooped so soon. But yesterday I was inside on the treadmill and it was like my legs were jello and I couldn't get them underneath me. I am just so frustrated!
Old 08-21-2007, 10:45 PM   #7  

There is a big difference between a treadmill and running outside. Some people find one or the other easier.

I personally like periodized plans, where you build for 3 weeks and then take a rest week where mileage/time is cut back, and then build again.

FWIW, I found C25K useless for getting me running. It has done a lot of good for a lot of people, but there is more than one way to get there.

Anne
AnneWonders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 10:55 PM   #8  
Starting Over

Thanks Anne, I am not going to beat myself up over this. I will get up to 5k eventually. And I am getting to go horseback riding for the first time in 7 years. If this had been three months ago, I never ever would have signed up for a lesson because I knew I wasn't strong enough to ride. Today I have that confidence even if the scale (and the grass) aren't on my side yet! Just gotta focus on the positives!