Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 07-08-2007, 11:45 AM   #16  

Height: 5'7"

I have a few life goals. I've done some of them, and the ones that are left are to do an Ironman triathlon and to qualify for the Boston marathon. These are BIG goals that take years to get to, many steps, and lots of sustained effort. I find they keep me focused on the long term, which is good, especially when one is sidelined due to injury, exceptionally busy family or work times, or um pregnancy. Note that I have revised my life goals from time to time. At one point I wanted to hike the Grand Canyon rim-to-rim to rim, but then on a trip there when I had to practically crawl out of my car to get anywhere near the edge, I remembered the magnitude of my fear of heights and decided that I just didn't need that much trauma in my life.

The small goals are good for getting out. In the past, I set myself with a minimum on 20 minutes of exercise a day (good for getting started or restarted). Do my pushups. Try a new activity. Push DD in the stroller. Walk the dogs. Swim. I usually set these weekly.

And then there are the intermediate goals that I can get done within a year. Improve on a 5K time. Run a half marathon. Do a pull up. Be ready for an active vacation.

I find the mix of short, intermediate, and long term goals keep me focused on the big picture, while not forgetting the small stuff. And it is important to realize that not everything is compatible at the same time. Squatting a new weight is not compatible with running a half (for me anyway), so I need to pick one or the other. Finally, while I don't pick goals lightly, it is OK to change them if you need to. I believe that our goals should enhance our life in some way, and if there is more trauma than challenge, it is time to pack it up and move on.

Heather, I envy you the rock climbing. If I ever lose the fear of simply standing on a chair, I'm going to give it a try. I find it fascinating.

Anne
AnneWonders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 12:46 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 209/209/160

Height: 5'9

I've been giving this question some thought for the last few days. My primary goals at the moment are aesthetic--I'm building muscles and trying to get rid of a little bit of fat. My body is getting nice and strong and I'm enjoying that. I stick with cardio because I want to have plenty of leeway with my calorie consumption.

The most important thing for me though, I think, is to make being active a natural part of my life. I go to the gym, sure, but I have started going on long bike rides for fun, riding my bike to work instead of driving, giving my dog extra-long walks and generally seeking to use my body whenever possible. I am thinking of taking up rock climbing this summer and I'm pondering the possibility of starting yoga or dance classes in the fall. I want to be the kind of person who exercises without thinking about it and I want to think of exercising not as a chore, but as a pleasure. I want to have a fit, active and healthy life. That's my goal.
baffled111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 04:41 PM   #18  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

Quote:
Originally Posted by wndranne View Post
I have a few life goals. I've done some of them, and the ones that are left are to do an Ironman triathlon and to qualify for the Boston marathon. These are BIG goals that take years to get to, many steps, and lots of sustained effort. I find they keep me focused on the long term, which is good, especially when one is sidelined due to injury, exceptionally busy family or work times, or um pregnancy. Note that I have revised my life goals from time to time. At one point I wanted to hike the Grand Canyon rim-to-rim to rim, but then on a trip there when I had to practically crawl out of my car to get anywhere near the edge, I remembered the magnitude of my fear of heights and decided that I just didn't need that much trauma in my life.

The small goals are good for getting out. In the past, I set myself with a minimum on 20 minutes of exercise a day (good for getting started or restarted). Do my pushups. Try a new activity. Push DD in the stroller. Walk the dogs. Swim. I usually set these weekly.

And then there are the intermediate goals that I can get done within a year. Improve on a 5K time. Run a half marathon. Do a pull up. Be ready for an active vacation.

I find the mix of short, intermediate, and long term goals keep me focused on the big picture, while not forgetting the small stuff. And it is important to realize that not everything is compatible at the same time. Squatting a new weight is not compatible with running a half (for me anyway), so I need to pick one or the other. Finally, while I don't pick goals lightly, it is OK to change them if you need to. I believe that our goals should enhance our life in some way, and if there is more trauma than challenge, it is time to pack it up and move on.

Heather, I envy you the rock climbing. If I ever lose the fear of simply standing on a chair, I'm going to give it a try. I find it fascinating.

Anne
Maybe there is more in a name than Shakespeare gave credit....

I think this is my post and you just wrote it for me
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 04:51 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Anne -- I really like thinking about short and long term goals like that! My whole life I NEVER had fitness goals. I think I have (relatively well) mastered the goal of getting the exercise IN by setting monthly exercise goals. You're right, these goals are perfect for getting me "out" and doing something.

But now it's time to set longer term goals -- and I know I will continue to craft these. I guess the next step is to find something I like and find ways to improve. I thought a long time ago I might get into jogging or running, but my knee bugs me too much. But I think there are ways to set improvement goals with almost anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by baffled111
I want to be the kind of person who exercises without thinking about it and I want to think of exercising not as a chore, but as a pleasure. I want to have a fit, active and healthy life. That's my goal.
Wow. Well said also. I said something very similar to the trainer yesterday!

Thanks for your thoughts so far on this thread -- it's very helpful to see how people think about this issue!!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 10:44 PM   #20  
Ilene the Bean

This thread has got me thinking that I need some goals ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by baffled111
I want to be the kind of person who exercises without thinking about it and I want to think of exercising not as a chore, but as a pleasure. I want to have a fit, active and healthy life. That's my goal.
I am at that point, I don't think, I just do it....and enjoy my daily workout tremendously... I feel I need more, but I don't know what yet
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 12:39 AM   #21  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Ilene, I do aspire to have your attitude about exercise!! I don't know if I ever can, but that is certainly a goal!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote