Old 02-27-2006, 09:10 AM   #1  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Default Szechwan Shrimp

(From the Sonoma Diet Newsletter)
Szechwan Shrimp
Once you smell the ginger and soy sauce that spice up this shrimp, you'll be eager to dig in! Luckily, this dish takes only 10 minutes of cooking time.
PREP: 35 minutes COOK: 10 minutes MAKES: 4 servings

1 1/4 pounds fresh or frozen medium-size shrimp
4 teaspoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
4 teaspoons grated fresh ginger or 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1 tablespoon dry sherry or water
1 tablespoon Oriental chili sauce with garlic
1 teaspoon cornstarch (don't fret this small amount!)
1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
1/8 teaspoon kosher salt or regular
Kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper
1 1/2 teaspoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
4 teaspoons canola oil
3 cloves garlic, minced (1 1/2 teaspoons minced)
2 cups fresh mushrooms, sliced
1 medium red bell pepper, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
2 cups fresh pea pods, trimmed
6 cups shredded Chinese (Napa) cabbage
1/4 cup dry-roasted peanuts
2 tablespoons sliced green onions (scallions)

1. Thaw shrimp, if frozen. Peel, devein, and rinse shrimp; pat dry with paper towels. For sauce, in a small bowl combine the 4 teaspoons soy sauce, ginger, dry sherry or water, Oriental chili sauce, the 1 teaspoon cornstarch, sesame oil, and the 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt. Set aside.

2. Place shrimp in a medium bowl; sprinkle lightly with additional kosher salt and black pepper. Stir in the 1 1/2 teaspoons soy sauce and the 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch; set aside.

3. In a wok or 12-inch skillet heat 2 teaspoons of the oil over medium-high heat. Add garlic; stir-fry for 30 seconds. Add mushrooms; stir-fry for 3 minutes. Add bell pepper; stir-fry for 1 minute. Add pea pods; stir-fry for 2 minutes. Remove vegetables from wok.

4. Add remaining 2 teaspoons oil to wok or skillet. Add shrimp mixture; stir-fry for 2 to 3 minutes or until shrimp turn opaque. Stir sauce; add to wok. Cook and stir until boiling; cook and stir for 2 minutes more. Add mushroom mixture and Chinese cabbage. Toss to coat.

5. To serve, sprinkle with peanuts and green onions.

Nutrition Facts per serving: 328 cal., 14 g total fat (2 g sat. fat), 215 mg chol., 714 mg sodium, 16 g carbo., 3 g fiber, 35 g pro.
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 09:36 AM   #2  

Question

This sounds great!
Do you know if Thai chili past is similar to your chili sauce? I've never used it (though it's been in my kitchen, just waiting for an opportunity.)
And I suppose I could make this with chicken though shrimp sounds so good.

Rebel (new here. Day 1!)
rebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 10:07 AM   #3  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Well, chili paste is much hotter and thicker than our chili sauce. You could use a bit of regular chili sauce of Frank's hot sauce. This is a HOT dish! I'm not sure where in Ontario you live, but some large grocery stores and oriental stors carry chili garlic sauce.
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 12:09 PM   #4  

Not in Ontario. that was an error. (C&P from someone else and forgot to delete that).
I can easily get chili sauce, just lazy and I've got all this chili paste right here in the fridge...
rebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 08:02 PM   #5  
beachin'

S/C/G: 240/125/130

Height: 5'8

I made this tonight. It was excellent. I did think the sauce was a bit thin, but that is to be expected with such a small amount of cornstarch. It had the perfect amount of spicy for my kids, and DH and I added a little sriracha on top.
zeffryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 05:12 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 200/140

Height: 5'6"

This was a HUGE hit with my family!! I made it last week and it was a bit spicy for my little ones so when I made it this week I cut down the spice and everyone went back for seconds!! Thanks for sharing!
Makaidyn is offline   Reply With Quote