Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Old 01-18-2007, 01:56 PM   #61  

S/C/G: 247/247/160-170

Height: 5'7

Question Meridia from Dr.'s...Does it work???

Hey my fellow 3FC visitors. I have a question that hopefully I can get some answers to. I went to the Dr's yesterday and asked him about some aid in losing weight. He suggested using Meridia. This type helps surpress your appetite and inreases your metbolisom. I was wondering if anyone else has tried this and does it work and did you have any side effects.

I would love to hear back from anyone who knows anything about Meridia

Thanks
MrsKeltsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 02:00 PM   #62  
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

Is that the one that has small amounts of Prozac in it?

If so, you may not lose weight, but because of the Prozac, you won't care.

OK. Bad joke.

I don't know about it, but there are forums here in the "Does It Work" section. You may find some answers there. In fact, this post may be moved to that section by the moderators.
cbmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 02:14 PM   #63  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I tried Meredia but it has some dangerous side effects so if your blood pressure goes off, you need to go off of it. I took it for a month and my blood pressure went way up so the doctor took me off. I didn't feel less hungry and I didn't lose weight.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 03:08 PM   #64  
prepare for the BEST time

Meridia doesn't work for everyone....I took it for about 6 months....it didn't do too much in the weight control, but it worked better than any anti-depressant that had been prescribed for me in the past. it boosts your seratonin levels supposedly so you feel satisfied with less food.

I had better success with a short term use of Ionamin (time-release resin base Phentermine)
marbleflys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 03:40 PM   #65  

S/C/G: 201/195/130

The Dr. perscribed Meridia for me a few years ago. I did eat less, but not like phentermine. With Meridia I only ate until I was full. It was like it helped me recognize when I was full so I didn't have seconds or dessert.

Watch out for severe constipation as a side effect (I didn't get it so bad as a friend who tried and was miserable--sorry, TMI) and I think they have to closely monitor your blood pressure.
Jaana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 08:04 PM   #66  

My sister in law is on this has been since the end of November,she was walking 5 miles a day and doing WW, but she just coudnt get rid of the weight, she dropped 28 pounds fairly quickly she said the biggest problem was she has to force herself to eat, the doc told her that at the rate she is losing he doubts that at the next weigh in she will get a refill, she said she has a had a couple of days when she felt crappy, but other then that she loves it, I dont have enough weight to l.ose to get prescribed it, it has helped her change her way of life, before her family lived on junk, now she just isnt hungry. so like anything it right ofr some and not others.
baimak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 05:10 PM   #67  
Living and Learning

S/C/G: 304/see ticker/140

Height: 5' 3"

Hi there, I took meridia for 6 months last year. It really worked for me as I dropped 45lbs. I had some annoying side effects though that made me stop taking it. I suffered from constipation, dry mouth and headaches.

I would say it took 3-4 weeks before I *felt* like it was working. I must say though, this is no magic bullet. You still have to eat right and exercise. It just controls the part of the brain that regulates hunger.

Another down side is the cost. It was costing me $130 Canadian dollars a month as it was not covered by my benefit package at work.

Hope some of this info helps.
gumboot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 11:31 AM   #68  

S/C/G: 247/247/160-170

Height: 5'7

Thank you all for the replys. I guess for everyone it works different. I have been on it for 2 days, today is my third day and I do find that I am not as hungry. I have been on the go so that may be it, so I will see in the next couple of days if it really is working since I will be at home.

Sounds like constipation is a side effect for many, I plan on eating lots of fibre so it hopefully won't be as bad.

I will let you all know how I am doing on it and if I lose any.

Thanks again
MrsKeltsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 12:00 PM   #69  
Work in Progress

S/C/G: 246/246/150

Height: 5'2"

The key with Meridia is that it doesn't work instantly. My doctor prescribed it for me and i told him I tried it before and it didn't work and he said that it actually takes about three months to truly see results from it. I didn't stay on it for three months so I couldn't say whether or not that is accurate. I ended up getting Phentermine which my doctor didn't approve of but has agreed to let me use it. That works instantly.
MiraculousMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 09:07 AM   #70  

I was on Meridia about 3 years ago.... I lost about 40lbs, but I only ate about 900cal per day. It isn't a magic pill. If you don't watch what you eat you won't lose anything.
I didn't feel hungry when I took it, and I didn't care about food. It is expensive and insurance won't cover it. I had headaches and dry mouth everyday... not severe, but definitely annoying.
If you don't know if you can stick with healthy eating and exercise, then I'm not sure I'd waste the money on it. When I went off Meridia and off my diet, I gained everything I lost plus another 60lbs.
buckettgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 09:57 AM   #71  
BIG ORANGE FOOTBALL RULES

Yes, it works if you want to constantly go through the day with a brown spot on your panties!!!

You have no control....

BOB
THE BIG ORANGE BABE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 11:07 AM   #72  
Just Me

Big orange,
I think you are thinking of Xenical which will make you pass fat which if you eat too much fat will end up in your colon. Your colon isn't designed to deal with fat/grease so it can't stop leakage.
Old 01-28-2007, 12:11 PM   #73  
BIG ORANGE FOOTBALL RULES

OOPS....SORRY....yes I was and my mistake....BUT MERIDIA does tend to raise the blood pressure.....and that's not a good thing!

BOB
THE BIG ORANGE BABE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 01:04 PM   #74  
Just Me

Actually, Meridia can do worst than raise blood pressure. The rise in blood pressure is a sign that something worst (heart attack or stroke) can result. Which is why if you take Meridia, you really need a doctors supervision. If your blood pressure goes up, then you need to stop taking meridia immediately.
Old 02-05-2007, 08:42 AM   #75  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

I tried it a few years ago. The only thing it did for me was give me wicked stomach pains and gas that could melt the wall paper off your walls.

WICKED STUFF IMHO
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote