Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Closed Thread

Old 10-11-2002, 04:59 PM   #1  

Question infrared saunas?

A new day spa is touting the benefits of its infrared sauna...claims that it burns 600 calories in a 20-minute treatment! Also good for the skin, cleanses "toxins," etc., etc...

I just can't believe that lying inside what looks like a body-sized hot dog bun for 20 minutes can burn more calories than jogging for the same amount of time! It's basically a glorified, full-body heat lamp, right? Maybe you would lose a pound or two of water weight, but you're going to put that right back on within a day or two. How can it possibly burn all those calories?

However, I would LOVE it if someone could tell me otherwise -- no doubt I'd love to lie down and take a warm nap in the infrared sauna, rather than go out running on a cold October morning!
Old 10-13-2002, 10:38 AM   #2  
it's always something

LOL!

Ok, this is what I learned so far.. From the claims they are making, this is what they base it on..

The sauna causes you to lose about 1 gram of sweat.

Most people lose about 1 gram of sweat while doing exercise sufficient to burn 600 calories. (according to them)

Therefore, they claim that since BOTH will cause you to lose about 1 gram of sweat, then both must cause you to burn 600 calories.

How silly! I wonder how long it will take the FTC to crack down on this one!
Old 10-15-2002, 09:05 AM   #3  

Oh wow, that's really creative! Hmmmm, what other pleasurable activities might cause me to sweat a little...? : )

Thanks for checking it out for me, Suzanne. I thought it sounded way too good to be true. But ohhh, so tempting! Guess I'll be saving my money for more worthwhile purchases, like a new pair of running shoes to replace the ratty old ones I'm wearing now.
Closed Thread