Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Closed Thread

Old 07-25-2001, 01:19 AM   #1  

Talking Panic Attacks & Dieting #2

Hi everyone,
here we are on a NEW THREAD aleady !!!
After 4 pages and 91 posts and not to mention the 900 plus views it was time for a new post...thanks JEnnifa for the prompt.

Well we have come a long way since my first humble post - little did I know it would turn into such a great support group.

Thanks to all of you for your continued support and encouragement - we're a FABULOUS group!!!

MyGirl
Old 07-25-2001, 04:18 PM   #2  
cookies are for browsers

Thanks, MyGirl!

Hope you are all having soothing days.

must dash,

Jennifa
Old 07-25-2001, 10:02 PM   #3  

Default HELLO TO ALL

Hi to everyone.

Daytona: Glad to hear you had a nice vacation. It's always nice to hang at the beach. I find the water very soothing. As for the Celexa, I have had no side effects other than I do get a little tired. That is why in the morning I'm taking 20 mg and at night I'm taking 40 mg. I'll know more once I'm back at work next week

My Girl: Thanks for starting this group. You're right...It's an awesome group Everyone is so supportive and helpful. I truly don't believe I could have gotten through some of this without the group...

Jennifa: Best of luck on the thesis paper. Talk about alot of work. Try to remain calm.

Gobbie: How are you doing?

All else: Have a peace filled day.

You are all
Old 07-27-2001, 08:37 AM   #4  

Hi everyone,

Wow, a new thread, I guess we needed one. I liked the red smiley face on the first thread, it made us real easy to spot LOL. Can all of you believe it is almost Aug? We need to enjoy these last few weeks of summer as much as possible. I have been walking everyday, but I think I will join a gym in the fall to add more exercise, then maybe I can eat more without gaining wt.

Hey janney, I just noticed you live in MI, so do I, where are you at? I am in a suburb east of Grand Rapids. Good luck on the back to work Monday, I hope all goes well.

Well, I am off to weight watchers to see how much damage the week's vacation had on me.

Daytona
Old 07-29-2001, 07:17 PM   #5  

Default plugging on

hi all,
good to see most of us are on track!

I've been a bit slack with the walking these last couple of days I have to get right back on track on Monday...no excuses I just have to put my over-eating behind me (went out for dinner and forgot about keeping the fat count down

Happy thoughts to all

MyGirl
Old 07-29-2001, 11:08 PM   #6  
cookies are for browsers

Hi all,

MyGirl, I too have been the queen of slack for the last week - not entirely my fault, working a 65 hour week and getting home too late to exercise! But today I got my butt to yoga, then did yard work, THEN rode my bike for 50 minutes. So I figure that yes, I can have those cookies I ate today, but I won't pig out on them and I won't feel guilty about them, either. I really love the bike riding. It is so great to get the huge sky over your head for a while every day. I find that I'm going farther and farther each time I go, so maybe I'll end up doing a big race on my heavy beach cruiser!!!

Janney, I'm really glad your meds seem to be working for you. You were really a mess when you first came to us! Now you are sounding better with every post. Let that seep into your life and bring you some happiness in the steps you've achieved so far. (geez, I sound like my yoga instructor! )

Daytona, how was the vacation? Don't fret too much if you gained - hopefully you relaxed.

I have to tell you all how much fun you can have at the store. Go to a place where they sell bathroom scales. Then start weighing yourself. I did this last week and got a 30 pound range. I never thought I could be so fickle with my weight! I did find a scale I thought was very cool looking - it's chrome with footprints on it! And I have big feet so it's hard for me to find a scale where my feet aren't hanging off the side, which often changes the weight displayed. Well, who cares. I am eating healthy and my clothes are getting smaller!
Old 07-30-2001, 09:25 AM   #7  

Good Monday morning all,

You sure exercised a lot Jenniffa, a few cookies shouldn't do any damage. Your work week sounds terrible, it's summer time to take it slower! LOL My vacation left me with a 2pd gain, I get so tired of watching what I eat all the time, but the alternative is much worse so here starts another week of eating better and exercising more.

MyGirl, you are not alone with the slacking!! We can all get back on track now right?

Janney, how did the first day back at the job go?

gobbie, are you sleeping any better?

Well have a great day!

Daytona
Old 07-31-2001, 03:41 PM   #8  

Red face Glad to be back w/you...

Hi, y'all...
Nope, not sleeping any better, but my doctor just gave me a new sleeping pill to try. We'll see. Someone said they were on Celexa. That was my first medication and I developed diarrhea to the point that I was taking 5-6 lomotil's a day just to be able to go to work. I'm the one that figured out what was going on and insisted on something else. I'd rather be depressed, anxiety ridden, and overeating all at once that go through that again! Anyway, he changed it to Paxil and now that Paxil seems to have lost its effect, we are trying BuSpar. I don't feel any real improvement yet, but I hope I do soon. Well, that's not really true; when I went off the Paxil I began to obsess about my dog's health and she's just as healthy as a young pup. At least I've quit doing that.
I went to see a very funny movie Saturday, "Legally Blond," and afterwards went grocery shopping. Not only did I buy all the right things, I even bought the ingredients to make (cook, believe it or not) several homemade meals and bread. After another night of anxious sleep, I started off the day right, just cooking up a storm. Then I had my first serious argument with my husband (he was "downsized" in May) and after that everything was downhill. I guess I've been walking on eggshells so as not to say something that would hurt his feelings or his ego and when he made a smart remark I just lost it. He tried to make it up later by bribing me with an outing with the dog (twice), but I am still so angry that I just want to interact with him the least amount possible--at least for now. I know this will pass (we've been happily married for 36 years), but not today.

In the meantime, I'm eating cookies, capuchino, and even double portions of the WW potato salad I made. It's a good thing I'm at work or I'd probably just sit in front of the refrig and eat the rest of it.

Let's hope my scheduled visit to the therapist will help more than my "happy pills" as my husband calls anything in the category of Paxil or BuSpar.

Please, please, please keep up the wonderful success stories--even if the success is only an hour or an event at a time. I come away from reading these posts with so much happiness and so much encouragement.

Last edited by Gobbie; 07-31-2001 at 03:43 PM.
Old 07-31-2001, 07:36 PM   #9  

Thumbs down doing much better

HI everyone,
so far so good, I have been back on the treadmill and have worked up my time to a grand total of 40 minutes!!!
Now let me tell you ladies that this has been my biggest achievement to date!!

About 3 months ago I could barley do 20 minutes without feeling like I was going to pass out, now I can't believe the change in my stamina I can actually sustain a fast pace for a decent amount of time!

My philosophy has to be that even if I occasionally fall off the horse I just have to get right back on and keep going. It's the same with my anxiety some days will be better than others.

Take care
MyGirl
Old 08-01-2001, 09:25 AM   #10  

Hi all,

Gobbie, don't let your hubbys mood cause you to eat, I know it is easier said than done, but you are the one who will have to diet even longer to get that weight off!! I to am an emotional eater, so I know how hard it is to stay in control when life gets us up set. You can do it girl, just take it one day at a time and get back on the wagon asap! The movie is one I want to see also. I did see Americas Sweethearts, I liked it, but wasn't overly impressed by it. Maybe it was the mood I was in, I just paid $2.65 for a small diet Pepsi !!!! From now on I bring my own can of pop. I refer to my BuSpar as my happy pills also, but if it works what the hey? I am actually going off the meds, the Dr said I could after 3-6 months if I wanted to so here it is 4 months later and I been feeling pretty good so I am going to try it. I can always re start if I need to. I sure won't hesitate to go back on if I start feeling lousy again.

MyGirl, way to go with the treadmill!!! That is real inspriation. Don't you just feel great? I had the same feeling when I started lifting wts for my arms, I had to start with 1 pound wts and after 6 months I was using 8pds!! Makes you feel so proud of yourself doesn't it?

Janney how is the back to work going for you?

Jennifa, the scale story is a hoot! Only a fellow weight watcher can relate, I did the same thing about 9 years ago. I still can't believe how different each sacle weighs you, I for one go with the lowest weight as being most reliable! LOL Don't be to hard on yourself, if you are working 65 hours in a week when do you think you have time to exercise? Maybe things will slow down a bit soon.

Well, I have now written a novel so have a calm and relaxing day everyone.

Daytona
Old 08-02-2001, 04:04 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

Unhappy Does anyone out there have ehat i may have?

Hi ladies,
I have a lot of threads on this forum, and have been fighting the battle of the bulge all my life. I am currently trying to lose the weight from my 3 month old son.
The title of this thread really got to me, and I thought maybe you could help me. I have been doing a lot of research on the web, and beleive I may have OCD-obsessive compulsive disorder. When people think of this, they think of people who wash their hands 15 times, or like Jack Nicholson in "As Good As It Gets" where he wouldn't step on cracks or let people touch him. In most cases, it is not that easily recognizable. I realize now I had symptoms that I have had since I was a child-but it has seemed to escalate since I became pregnant with my first child-which I know now is not uncommon? If you use your search engineyou can find a lot of links that will help you learn more about it.
My obsessions seem to center around placement and symmetry of items, especially knick-knacks in the home, and counting and checking things. I have only recently realized I had a problem, and am getting ready to start therapy. It is also common for people with OCD to suffer panic attacks and depression, because the same metabolic things in the brain cause these things.
If you don't understand-for instance-I have an obsession with symmetry and placement of articles-so when I see things out of order or crooked I get anxious, and have to fix it. My husband can come home from the store and put groceries away, and I will go behind him and rearrange everything. I can't stand pictures to be crooked, and have actually straightened them in other people's homes when noone is looking. I also obsess with forgetting something, so when I get ready to go to the store, I check the money in my purse anywhere from 2-6 times before I get there, even though noone has been in my purse. I packed and unpacked my hospital bag for my son's birth 2 or 3 times a week, rearranging and making sure I didn't forget something-even thoughwe live a block from the hospital.
I encourage you all to learn about this from the web, and I will study about what you all are going through, and maybe we can all help each other-with our weight and our anxiety disorders.
Lots of Love,
Aphil
Old 08-04-2001, 04:33 PM   #12  

Hi everyone,

I miss hearing from all of you. We have to be more active on our board so we don't lose touch.LOL Welcome aphil, you will find us a supportive bunch. Isn't it nice to have the net to find info on and then we also have found each other. For me it helps knowing I am not alone in my struggles.
Are you getting ready to go back to school Mygirl? Janney, we havn't heard from you since you went back to work, let us know how you are doing.
This week I am going to try and stop overeating, it is getting to be a habit and I better stop or I will be paying to go to w/w. My exercise is pretty constant mostly just walking but in this 90 degree heat that is all I can stand to do.

Hope things are going well for all of you.

Daytona
Old 08-05-2001, 05:48 AM   #13  

Hi everyone! My name is Trinity. I don't know if I suffer from panic attacks. It was never said that is what they were. I have been suffering a lot of stress at work lately for the past couple of months and (without medicine) suffered some "breakdowns" where I would just bust out crying because things got too overwelming. Not good. So, I went to the doctor and he put me on Effexorr. After being on that for about 4 weeks, I called the doctor again because it just made it worse. Now I have crying outbursts about 2 - 3 times a day and I feel like I cannnot quit or control my emotions. I don't like the way that feels. So, the doctor told me that I couldn't quit taking the Effexorr cold turkey and gave me a sample pack to take to wheen myself off of it and then he gave me that Cellian (spelling??). We shall see how that works. It looks like there are a great group of people here. I look forward to hearing from you and any input. This is the first time in my life where I have had anything like this happen to me.
Old 08-05-2001, 10:18 AM   #14  

Wink back on track and in touch

hi everyone,

welcome trinity and aphil , nice to have you here!

trinity,
my advice to you is to get a proper diagnosis - this is crucial and then you can move forward from there, even get a 2nd opinion if it makes you feel more comfortable. Stress management would be a good way to go, I'm thinking longterm here. Is there someone at work you can talk to about the way you feel? That would help a lot.

aphil,
my advice to you is to also get a proper diagnosis - many symptoms mimic others. If it is OCD then from my reading and experience with anxiety. I also have this habit of straightening things out pictures included, counting and also if tidying things up...but it doesn't bother me too much. I know that this can manifest itself in ppl like us and yes we ARE special
Look on the bright side OCD has to have the best side effects, everything is always in its place and neat! lol

daytona,
good to hear you're on track, you always offer us refreshing encouragement..thanks, yes I'm getting myself ready for work...mentally and physically (I hope).

gobbie,
I can certainly relate to your story about husbands...don't we just love them, gosh there are times when my patience is really tested with him and then there are other times when I am content just to be with him and I thank God for these precious moments!
Oh boy I'm getting all schmaltzy I'll fog up my screen...lol

jennifa,
glad to hear your clothes are getting smaller that must make you feel so great! congratulations!

Have a great week
Take care and lots of lurrrve lurrrve lurrrve to you all.

MyGirl
Old 08-05-2001, 11:54 AM   #15  
cookies are for browsers

Thumbs up

Hello all, and welcome Aphil and Trinity.

I think the most comforting thought is that there is no such thing as normal! You can prove it if you really try.

Had a bad week but I'm trying to salvage at least some decent attitude for next week. Hope you all are feeling well.

Jennifa
Closed Thread