Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 10-04-2004, 11:11 PM   #16  

Rosetta, Yes, my doc is an internist and ironically, today I looked up the name of an endocronologist. I am going for my blood work tomorrow morning.
I will discuss with him that I am going to go see the endo if we can't get things under control. I was prescribed 2000 metformin(1000am 1000pm) and glucotrol 5m in the am last yr. but over the summer when my numbers were better I started slacking off. Then I found out glucotrol causes weight gain, so I cut that out completely. My own fault my numbers are so bad. So I only think it's fair that I see what he has to say tomorrow. I went to an endo yrs ago, but after hearing my family history he tried scare tactics with me. He actually said to me once after my not losing weight " I am sitting across the desk from a dead woman" I never went back. But there is a woman on my plan that I'm thinking of going to see. So I think I might take your advice and go see her anyway. Thanks for the motivation.

Deb, what book did you get? Atkins diabetic? I didn't know there was a specific book for it. I would like to know how it differs from the reg program. Was it expensive. I'm always adding to the collection it seems.(as much as I keep saying I'll stop) Guess I could be spending the $ on worse things. But like Rosetta said, the books are tools. Even if you only learn one valuable thing, if it helps with your health, it's worth every penny. Thanks for the prayers. I don't know if I deserve them, but I need them.

I hope are little group here has a great week.
ttyl
DonnaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 09:04 AM   #17  

Well The pace at work has gone into the catoon zone. I'm starting to fell like Daffy Duck. The whole place has gone crazy. I'm just trying to keep myself in the right frame of mine and healthy right now. You know they do a psych test on everyone who works here. I'm thinking they have to know if your nuts enough.
My numbers are starting to swing wildly and I'm sure it's from working tooo much overtime and not getting enough rest. Any tips on how to manage getting rest while working like a fool will be helpful.
My DH is planning a Bar-b-q at our home for Sat. for my birthday. He's such a sweet guy. Going to let me sit around like the Queen that I am all Day.

Rosetta you are so right. It's how we use all this info that's the key.
Donna I got the Atkins for diabetics at Walmart for $18.00. It will also make for good reading material while on nite shift.

Have a good one, gotta run.
deb
2round is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 04:24 PM   #18  

hi everyone. just checking in it has been pretty busyand i have lost a couple of lbs. .really don't know how. i'll take it.
it has been cool here. hope everyone is doing well. pat
paperdoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 07:40 PM   #19  
Walking by faith

Smile Good evening ladies

Just submitting my measurements for the challenge

Hope everyone is doing well!
Stepping Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 08:48 PM   #20  

Cool

Hi, all. The weather's been cool here, which is just the way I like it. Hope it stays this way. Deb -- you sound crazed. Are you able to get any exercise in? If not, that could increase your numbers. Also, the stress. Can you take breaks and just get away from it all for a few minutes, close your eyes and breathe? That may help. Keep us posted on the Atkins book. Pat - hurray for losing those lbs! Only 8 more to go to meet the challenge! Joanne - you are brave posting your stats. We'll look forward to watching them go down. Have a good evening.
sapphire9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 08:53 PM   #21  

Donna -- I forgot to reply to your post. Your first endo sounds a little like my first one. She made it sound so dire that I buried my head in the sand and eventually changed doctors (she was also my internist). Let us know how your doctor's appointment goes tomorrow.
Old 10-05-2004, 09:48 PM   #22  

Deb, stress definitely makes my numbers go up. Take Rosetta's advice and try to get away during breaks.(though you mention night shift which might make that hard) what do you do? (if you don't mind my asking) I work in mortgage banking, but lately it's more like a morgue. The push came and went. We find ourselves watching the clock, which to me is worse than being busy. Let me know what you think of the book. I ate carbs today. Total atkins just makes me feel horrible. My doc prefers slow and steady(lwr carbs, more veggies) So I don't know if I'll be doing this challenge strictly atkins, but I'm still in it. Happy Birthday to the a bit early

Pat, woo hoo All I can say is I'm glad we have until Thanksgiving

Rosetta, I'm with you. I love the cooler weather. I went to the doc today. He was pretty nice considering I haven't followed his advice. I am going to end up back on several of the meds I stopped taking. Looks like the Lipitor is coming back(he said the benefits definitely outway the side effects) he doesn't think I had a stomach bug, but that the diabetic gastroparesis(sp?) needs to be treated, so back on the reglan. I'm so bummed, but I am going to follow his instructions for the next 3mos and see if the blood work improves. He should have the results back in a few days. I know they will be horrible. I'm going to try to really cut the carbs, but I'm struggling this time with atkins. It's really bothering my stomach.

Joanne, Rosetta took the words right out of my mouth, you are brave. I just look at the measuring tape and it runs and hides

Hey Rosey, hope all is well.

Well ladies, I hope everyone has a great wednesday.
ttyl
Old 10-06-2004, 08:40 AM   #23  

Good morning Man I feel like I didn't even go home from work yesterday. And Donna I work In the Materials Dept. of a nuclear power plant. We are just days away from a refuel outage and it's truly a nut fram here right now. I'm sure stress has alot to do with my readings right now, But there will not be a slowing in this pace for another 3 to 4 weeks. We do this every 18 mos. I'm glad it's not more often.

Pat 2 pounds already you go girl. Who cares how it left as long as it's gone. I'm working on catching up.

Joanne we'll be looking for those measurements to go down to. How are your exercises going. Can you tell any differance.

Rosetta you guys are so lucky here in the south we don't even think of cooler weather until mid November. I've even spent Christmas in shorts a few times in my day.

Wishing everyone a powerful day. WE CAN DO IT!!!!
Deb
Old 10-06-2004, 09:20 PM   #24  

Cool

Good evening. Donna, I'm glad your doctor appointment went well. Sometimes they can surprise you. I've been on generic reglan for about a year. I didn't know what hit me when I first had the symptons of gastroparesis, but it sure scared me! I've been thinking of going off it so I won't be able to eat much. But I dare not. My blood sugars have been high because I ran out of medication. I'm back on it now and they've gone down but not enough. I have my next A1c in December so I hope I can get on track in time to get better numbers. I worked in mortgage banking a long time ago, in loan servicing, then administration, then in the REIT. It was one of my favorite jobs. Now I am in law and tend to have feast and famine as far as workload goes. Right now, like you, I'm in a slow time and it makes me bonkers because I have all this time to think of the things I could be doing outside the office (like laundry, cleaning) and of course, my problems. All I have to look forward to is lunch, which means I'm eating because I'm bored. But when I'm busy, I eat because I'm stressed. I'm so good at excuses
Deb: I'm sorry you are so stressed right now. Have you had your vacation yet? If not, maybe you should think of someplace good to go. Or at least maybe a weekend getaway.
Old 10-06-2004, 10:36 PM   #25  

Hi everyone.. so sorry ive been absent i have been bummed out and also very busy..i was weighed and measured monday at curves and no loss of weight and some of my measurements were bigger i feel smaller and lighter and my clothes are looser so what gives..i wanted to cry and did.. as working so hard with no results is very discouraging anyways theres 2 things that could have caused this..one i never have the same person measure me and they all do it different(im going to request the same one from now on) two im making muscle and that measures bigger..at any rate im refust to give up..im still sore.. and hopefully some day i wont hurt.. its not easy for a 300 + person to exercise without hurting..anyways im determined..there sre some articles about lo-carb dieting info in the current issues of family circle and womens day magazines that might answer some of your questions about carbs..donna no carbs makes me feel awful too..i tried atkins.. now i limit my carbs to 30-60 gs aday but im finding that there is carbs in alot of foods i wasnt counting so i am probably eating more than that..i have to find my carb counting book that has it all listed..also some of those carb lo products are just the same stuff diff packaging higher price.. we need to read our labels..its sunny here today after many days of rain..(((hugs))) for all rosey
akrosey49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 09:27 AM   #26  

GOOD MORNING Had another good nite so feeling pretty good today. Not sure if it's exhaustion or what but I'll take it. I'm looking forward to the weekend. Hubby is having my bday b-b-q and I plan on eating what I like, then Sunday morn I'm going on induction. As I read it the atkins for diabetics is not total carb restriction, but 2 weeks of real low carbs and then a modified atkins type diet watching the carbs very carfully. It sounds alot like what I'm hearing here. So I'll be the test case and we'll see how it will work on me. I have to admit I'm somewhat excited. And hoping for the best.

Rosetta thanks for the well wishes. I have vacation set up for the Holidays, Seems along way off, but it's really right around the corner. I hate to sound so out done. It's always this way at outage time. you would think after 20 plus years I'd be used to it. I just don't think I handle it as well as when I was younger (and more fit). But In a few weeks I'll be glad for the extra bucks in the bank.

Rosey you don't get down. Your on the right track and we all know it. I agree you should insist on the same person for those measurments each time. And don't let a puase in progress throw you off track. Just keep on going to those workouts. And remember I'm your biggest cheerleader, Rosey
Rosey Yeah Rosey

HAVE A GRAET DAY ALL
Deb
Old 10-07-2004, 09:05 PM   #27  

Cool

Deb -- Happy birthday! Have a wonderful time at the barbeque and eat up, girl, for Sunday you diet. I've just scheduled my vacation for the beginning of December and hope I can lose some significant weight before then.

Rosey - glad you dropped in. Deb is right. You are obviously doing something right if your clothes are loose. Your fat is turning to muscle and may still weigh the same but eventually, if you keep exercising and dieting, the weight will start going down and the muscle will cause you to burn more calories. A friend of mine started an exercise program a few months ago and she didn't start losing weight until a month ago. Now she's down 7 lbs (she's not too overweight and isn't dieting stringently). Keep going.
Old 10-11-2004, 08:12 AM   #28  

Well I'm in the induction phase of the diet. So far so good. I have to admit that yesterday I spent most of my day sleeping and watching football with one eye. So I was not really hungry. Today will be the true test of how I'm going to feel.

Had a good birthday and got plenty of rest over the weekend. So feeling pretty good today. Hope everyone had a good weekend and has a great day.
Deb
Old 10-11-2004, 09:46 AM   #29  

Hi Deb,
Just wanted to wish you good luck on induction. Are you going by the Atkins Diabetic diet. I know you had picked up the book and was wondering if you found many differences. I figure there must be if they dedicated a book to it. I still don't know what I'm doing yet. But again, good luck.
Old 10-11-2004, 03:18 PM   #30  

Post greetings

first happy belated birthday deb. i am interested also is the diabetic atkins different than the other. i am in a slump. keep us informed.
i am alone this week with the cat and dog. dh and ds went grouse hunting for the week up north. the weather is beautiful today but a cold front coming in wed. i am on my weekend now am going to try make some christmas cards. wish me luck,
sounds like everyone is doing well. i need to exercise. need motivation. pat
paperdoll is offline   Reply With Quote