Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 09-30-2014, 01:58 PM   #1  

Unhappy New to Thyroid issues

Ok so just recently I found out that I have hypothyroidism and was prescribed synthroid 0.05mg or 50MCG once daily. When do I expect to start feeling the change in fatigue and also has anyone had any issues like weight gain or anything else? Any help will be appreciated TIA
mrsary2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 03:31 PM   #2  

Hi There!

It generally doesn't take too long to feel the effects of the medication - a couple of weeks I would say max. But as long as it isn't too high of a dose for you it isn't going to be an earth shattering difference you will feel. It is something you will look back at after a while and go "wow, usually I would have crashed by this time of the day but I feel fine."

Hypothyroidism makes it a little more difficult to lose weight but not impossible. You just have to work a little harder than the average person. But you ask if anyone had experiences with weight gain so maybe you haven't had that issue yet. If that is true, you may not have an issue since you are now on medication.

I hope this helps and makes sense!
Edge2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 11:21 PM   #3  
I can do it!!!

S/C/G: 223/165/145

Height: 5'4"

Unhappy Hi!

Hello mrsary2014! I, too, was recently diagnosed with hypothyroid and take 50 mcg of Synthroid per day. My regular doctor is keeping my levels at the very low end of normal and I suspect I should go higher on the Synthroid because I have had one helluva time losing weight. (I am also on some meds that affect weight, but tapering off one of them right now.) I have an appointment with an endocrinologist who is highly recommended, but I can't get in with her until November 19th. I am hoping that she will be able to help me get my thyroid functioning at an optimal (not just low end of normal) level. In the meantime, I am trying to learn about hypothyroid and I am also wondering about adrenal fatigue. Are they related? I wonder if I also have that. Also, I hope that the endocrinologist will do an ultrasound scan of my thyroid to be sure there is nothing on it, like a tumor or polyp or something causing it to not function properly. My primary doc just hasn't done much for me as far as the hypothyroid goes. I had to practically beg him to put me on medication for it. This is frustrating! Best of luck to you on this journey!
IBelieveInMe2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 05:04 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 164/155/145

Height: 5'6"

Oh, oh...so happy to meet people that have hypothyroid like I do. I have been pretty healthy most of my life until I was diagnosed with hypothyroid 2 1/2 years ago. I'm so against most medications and never thought I would have to take something daily. My holistic doctor prescribed Armour Thyroid because it is a natural hormone. First I had thyroiditis and had lots of pain and fatigue. I could not exercise, because I had no energy. Once my thyroid levels got back to normal, I was so out of the habit of exercising that I just couldn't get motivated and continued to get discouraged and frustrated with my weight gain, so I binged more for comfort!

I have been on a journey of healing my thyroid naturally. So far so good. My massage therapist healed her thyroid naturally, so when I was ready to start, I asked her what she did. There are two amazing sites that have really helped. I am doing what they suggest because they also healed their thyroid naturally. Of course check with your doctor or holistic practitioner first! Check out andreabeaman.com and genesisgold.com

I have started weening off my meds (with the guidance of my holistic practioner) and still feeling great, started Kundalini Yoga (recommended by Andrea Beaman), which is great for thyroid, adrenals, kidneys, all internal organs. I also ordered her two DVD's called "Nourishing Thyroid Health" and "Nourishing Adrenal Health". Amazing! I've changed my diet to include foods that nourish my thyroid and removed foods that can hurt, like white flour, processed, pesticides, etc. I believe food has mostly everything to do with illness.

IBelieveInMe2: Please check out those sites and I believe you will get your answer about adrenal fatigue and thyroid. That's one of the first things my holistic practitioner started working on when we found out about my thyroid!

Good luck and hope you both are feeling better!
AshliRose is offline   Reply With Quote