Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 01-09-2011, 06:25 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 245/245/150

Height: 5'6"

Default Losing weight with mobility issues

Hi all. In May 2010, I fell off a ladder and broke my heal. I had surgery done in June where they put in a plate and 12 screws. I was 100% non-weight bearing until November. I still have a lot of pain and can only walk very short distances. I am exhausted every day when I get home from work and can not exercise.

Is there any one else that is in a similar boat or has been there and can offer advise/suggestions on how to stay motivated to lose weight when justing getting through the day is a struggle?
mybostons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 06:41 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 330/315/154

Height: 5'6

There's a woman on this board who lost weight doing very little exercise. She lost 137 in 1yr. She ate chicken, fish and low carb!
BellaLucia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 06:42 PM   #3  
Running for my life

S/C/G: 240/140

Well, I also have had that issue. Hopefully I can say something to help. I have early onset Parkinson's Disease. I have had 2 brain surgeries, a stroke and seizures. In 2009, I was in a wheel chair most of the year.

I was finally so fed up with my weight being an additional issue that I decided to make losing weight my ultimate goal. I made the decision to stick to a healthy eating plan for an entire year, starting last June, and I've already lost almost 75 lbs. in that length of time.

I feel that there are some things that we simply do not have any control over, but we do have control over what we put in our mouths. I felt so out of control when I was in the wheel chair and when I have to rely on others to do things with me. This is one area of my life where I have complete control, and honestly, there aren't many situations that are like that. Being in charge of my health and finally caring about my body has empowered me.

Just getting started is the most difficult step. But, you have already done that. Congratulations for doing this. You CAN do it! I hope something I've said helps you and good luck.
milmin2043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 11:04 PM   #4  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

Yes, have been in a similar position as you too; the best thing you can focus on is eating healthy and upper body movement. I do hand=weights (every other day); and chair aerobics (upper body and arm movements) to burn energy and increase my metabolism.

As for eating healthy, just start small -- eating 3 balanced meals each day (no seconds); and 2-3 healthy snacks a day such as fruit, yogurt, NS jellos or puddings, cheese & 4 wg soda crackers, fiber bar, etc. Focus on whole foods like whole grain pasta and cereals (1 cup), brown rice, beans, new potatoes or yams, etc (up to 1 cup also). Lean meats like roast chicken, turkey, beef, or ham, etc; plus fish like salmon, tuna, sole, etc. You can all the veggies and salads you like as they are very low-calorie.

Don't let the heel thing get you down; just by eating healthy, you can still lose weight. Later on, when your foot is healed you can add walking and other stuff in ...

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 01-12-2011 at 11:09 PM.
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 02:35 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 335/TICKER/180

Height: 5'8"

wow hey there I just posted about the frustrations related to this then I found your post... in april I broke my tibia and fibula and had two plates and 12+ screws put in. I was so excited hoping I was going to start the C25K and attempted the first day of it but that was a joke ugh it hurt so bad! Have you gone through PT I did that and my mobility got much better after that but I still cant run err... for now I would I guess suggest a stationary bike, an eliptical, water aerobics anything that is low impact. I look forward to hearing from you.
aasshhlleeyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 04:42 PM   #6  

I live 24/7 on a truck...a big rig. My husband is the driver. I sit in the passenger seat for 12 hours, and after dinner, lay on my bunk bed until we drive again. Can't get any more sedentary than that! Every 5-7th week we get home for 4-5 days and that is the only time I get a chance to swim or walk, which just plain feels good, but does not help as far as exercise goes.

I do have to eat low in calories and low in carbs. I have a blog that shares my journey. While weight loss is slow, I am also 55 yrs, and that plays a part to. If I can lose 85 pounds and will lose another 75 however long it takes. Hopefully by year end.
martinimouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 11:46 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 335/TICKER/180

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinimouse View Post
I live 24/7 on a truck...a big rig. My husband is the driver. I sit in the passenger seat for 12 hours, and after dinner, lay on my bunk bed until we drive again. Can't get any more sedentary than that! Every 5-7th week we get home for 4-5 days and that is the only time I get a chance to swim or walk, which just plain feels good, but does not help as far as exercise goes.

I do have to eat low in calories and low in carbs. I have a blog that shares my journey. While weight loss is slow, I am also 55 yrs, and that plays a part to. If I can lose 85 pounds and will lose another 75 however long it takes. Hopefully by year end.
WOW congrats WTG you look amazing
aasshhlleeyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 07:49 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 202/202/150 age 33

Height: 5'5" has Hypothyroid/Insulin resistance-PCOS/Interstitial Cystitis

I would suggest maybe trying one of those stationary bikes that you sit back on (not the ones where you sit upright) Maybe have one in your home or join a gym that has one? I understand fatigue, but maybe if you just put on some headphones and listen to a book or inpirational CD or watch TV while doing it it won't be too bad. I just had surgery on the 20th and my recovery is going slow. I am able to begin walking again but it exhausts me. I had a hysterectomy.
KatsMeow78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 11:32 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 202/202/150 age 33

Height: 5'5" has Hypothyroid/Insulin resistance-PCOS/Interstitial Cystitis

btw, I am so sorry you are going through that. Trying to heal from surgery is no fun. I hope you feel all better soon!
KatsMeow78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 02:59 PM   #10  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Quote:
Originally Posted by mybostons View Post
Is there any one else that is in a similar boat or has been there and can offer advise/suggestions on how to stay motivated to lose weight when justing getting through the day is a struggle?

When I started, I had applied for disability because of fibromyalgia, arthritis, copd/asthma, and an assortment of other health problems - one potentially life threatening. (I have an autoimmune disease attacking my joints, respiratory system, and skin. Initially it was diagnosed as a very fast-moving type that was fatal without aggressive treatment). Turns out that whatever I have is much slower moving, and apparently is now in remission (as long as I eat relatively low-carb. If I eat high grain/sugar/carb I start to see symptoms reappear).

I couldn't even take a shower standing up, and could barely shampoo my hair even once (I used a shamppoo/conditioner combination becaused I didn't have the strenght to rinse/repeat) and I was sleeping up to 20 hours a day (unconscious sleeping, not resting in bed). I needed a cane to walk even short distances, and I had to use an electric cart in a large store (mostly I just avoided shopping at all, because just getting to the carts was a drain - not to mention the embarassment of using one).

It's been a slow crawl out of the hole I'd dug for myself. Mostly just trying to do just a little bit more than I did the day before. My first "exercise" was washing dishes (in a chair) during a commercial. Then during the whole commercial break and I started standing up part of the time.

I don't know if all of that meant I had a harder time than most people, or whether it was easier for me, because I had nowhere to go but up, all I can say is that I couldn't compare myself to "everybody else" or even healthier versions of my past self, because it made me feel like giving ujp.

Having energy for exercise is a dilemma. Moderate exercise is crucial for fibromyalgia. It's a dilemma that exercise decreases the fatigue of fibro, but the fatigue makes it extremely difficult to exercise. For me, exercising many, many times in tiny, tiny increments was the key to doing it. Even on a bad day, I could do 1 minute of gentle exercise several times a day. I did what I could and didn't dwell on the fact that the amount I could do was laughable.

Warm water exercise is awesome. Even fairly strenuous exercise was relaxing and energizing rather than draining (getting dressed and undressed was another matter). I had to buy a two piece bathing suit, because I couldn't shimmy into a swim dress (well shimmying in was bad, but shimmying out was the real struggle). Putting on a bra after swimming was impossible (until I bought a front close bra), so I'd wear my swim suit under a roomy t-shirt or denim dress (baggy enough to somewhat hide the fact that I wasn't wearing a bra on the way out).

Every little bit helps. You really have to believe that, especially when the weight loss is slow. It's taken me the last six years to lose 88 lbs (68 of it in the last three years).

One thing that I do find motivating about my experience. Unlike most people who experience their quickest weight loss in the beginning, my weight loss is actually snowballing. The healthier I am getting, the more I can do, and the more I lose. I'm actually losing much faster than when I started (it's still slow by most people's standards, but it does give me hope that I can lose more as I get healthier).
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 10:25 AM   #11  
Super Mom

S/C/G: 250/250/115

Height: 5'1"

Hi everyone!
I had major foot surgery in December. While I am trying to become mobile again, I just had a setback by reinjuring my incision just the other day. I NEED to lose weight, because it is counterproductive to my other knee (that is degenerating as we speak!) and I want to keep from surgery there. I have 4 kids and I need to lose these extra pounds in case we have more children too. I need to figure something I can stay on and do upper body exercises to actually "do" something.

Glad to meet you all!
Sarah
FitSarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 05:40 PM   #12  
wonderful shrinking woman

S/C/G: Lbs: 400/T*2.2/150

I'm resurrecting this old thread mainly because this has been a big issue for me and I am always looking for new ideas/support. In fact, except for the first paragraph, kaplod's post could have been written by me. I have partial paralysis and chronic pain since a traumatic accident 13+ years ago.

I've only lost about 10% of my starting weight but notice a difference in my mobility. Daily routines are much easier. My workouts are mostly upper body and the Nustep, which have been wonderful but I'm ready to graduate to the elliptical. I'm a huge proponent of warm water exercises. I spend over an hour a week in constant motion but concentrating on strengthening my core to improve my balance. Best of all, the warm water eases my pain for awhile.

I'm greatly encouraged to read that it can get better.
sistah phat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 01:17 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 333.5/306.5/200

Height: 5 ft. 11 in.

It is great to see that I am not alone with this issue. I have been using mobility aids to walk for several years since total hip surgery left me with a leg that is all but useless. Right now I am using a walker to get around and in the beginning found it very hard to exercise. I found, however, that I could use a peddler to get the exercise in. I place it on a table and move the peddles using my hands to give me a work out for the top part of my body and then move it to the floor to use with my feet for exercising my legs and getting hips moving.

I too have been doing core strengthening in an effort to gain more balance. When I first started this I did not think it would work but I am pleasantly surprised as my balance seems to be improving little by little.

Last edited by meandu; 10-30-2012 at 01:18 PM.
meandu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 01:05 AM   #14  
Starting over sucks.

S/C/G: 485/445/250

Height: 6'1

Get to a pool!

I have shot knees (solely from carrying my girth), and I am just now, three months in, able to exercise outside of the pool. Find physio clinics with pools or take a senior aquafit class. It will loosen you up with no stress on injuries.
Radiojane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 07:11 AM   #15  
1500 Max!

S/C/G: 172/ticker/119

I have bursitis in my hip and I have been told I can swim or cycle and that stretching may also be good. However, I don't know if my problems are as serious as everyone else in this thread.
LucyOlivia is offline   Reply With Quote