Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 12-03-2008, 09:29 AM   #1  

Default Simple weight loss plan?

Hello,

I'm obviously new here (1st post) and found these forums very interesting...

Now well, I'm a quad due to SCI, so I have very little mobility, which obviously leads to weight gain.

I'm not extremely overweight, but could surely afford to lose a good few pounds.

I'm not a heavy eater, nor do I have to pick during the day, unless I become hungry.

Currently I have a small piece of chicken breast grilled for breakfast (I don't tolerate cereals and that stuff in the early a.m.) and have a regular meal at night when my Mother gets home from work. In between, if I get too hungry, I'll have some pretzels or buy some turkey breast from Supermarket's deli.

Years ago I used Slim Fast shakes for a few months and did great, even lost weight, but eventually got tired of the sweet sweet taste and dropped it.

Later on I tried the Herbalife stuff, I liked it, but did not lose weight and ran into financial problems making me stop. Yet I enjoyed the system of 2 shakes and 1 meal simplicity.

I'm not a fan of carbs... But addicted to meat (beef, chicken, turkey, pork...) A regular dinner could be grilled chicken breast with lettuce, cucumbers and tomatoes salad. Potatoes every so often or rice other days. No big portions though (I think)

So, is there any affordable system like that (2 shakes, 1 meal) that anyone can recommend?

I can handle a blender... I CANNOT however handle a diet that sends you to the bathroom all the time.

Well, I think I was specific enough, if not please say so... And thanks to all for any help/advice provided.

Polett.
Polett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 09:39 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Welcome!

Can you find plain protein powder? I've almost always made my own shakes from fruit or even coffee. I don't like the sweet ones either.

As for meat ... can you try for smaller portions of really nice lean stuff? Have a look at the Body for Life menu suggestions. No weird food (unless you buy their shakes) and lots of good ideas for making portions and eating in a timely manner.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 05:11 PM   #3  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

1) Your dinner ideas sound good; remove skin on the poultry, and choose lean cuts, removing all visible fat too. Measure the potatoes and rice at 1/2 to 1 cup cooked. I have a small new potato with skin on; and measure my pasta, rice, and beans at 1 cup already cooked. (Note: 1/2 cup is a serving, but you aren't eating many carbs, so maybe you should have 1 cup)

2) freeze bananas and other favorite fruits in baggies; then blend them with skim milk and a sweetener (if desired) to make a nice shake. You can use some fresh fruit as well. Yogurt is also nice in a fruit shake too.

3) you can also buy 'instant' breakfast drinks (ie Carnation) at the grocery store; they don't cost near as much as those meal replacement shakes.

4) I have even seen some shakes at the grocery for about a $1.00 each in the dairy section that maybe you could add some fruit into as well. You may have to try them to see how sweet they are though. You could also lessen the sweetness by mixing these with some skim milk and fruit.

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 12-22-2008 at 05:12 PM.
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote