Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Closed Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 07:39 AM   #31  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Thanks Tammy, I will. It's going to take months just to sort through our stuff to sell/donate/store in preparation. I bullied hubby to take me on errands with him yesterday (it was very cold and damp, the kind of weather I really should know better than to go out in, but I was bored stiff from having more bad days than good - and just needed to get out of the house). Of course, I ended up very irritable and unpleasant. Hubby's "I told you so," wasn't well received (though he did try to be nice about it).

I'm just so tired of the fibro symptoms keeping me from doing things. Sometimes I just get so mad about it, I force myself to do what I want to do, and consequences be damned. Yes, I ended up in bed with the electric blanket, but what's the alternative - hibernate until spring? (If I could find a way to do that, maybe I'd consider it - but staying in bed watching tv, just doesn't cut it).

Maybe it's just pure fantasy to think that seeking warm, dry (but not too hot) climates will dramatically improve my function, or at least my attitude, but part of me says if I'm going to have just as few good days in a warm climate - at least I'll be in a warm climate on those good days. Nothing is worse for me in the winter than having a good day and being afraid to go outside for fear it will turn into a bad day. Of course, the claustrophobia I feel during a flare in a two bedroom apartment isn't going to be any better in a 30 foot trailer, but I'm not sure it would be that much worse, either.
Old 11-21-2008, 09:37 AM   #32  

S/C/G: 267/261/145

Height: 5'2

Well Kaplods, sounds like you need to head to the southwest when you start RVing. Great warmth and dry air there! Are you and your husband making this permanent housing on wheels or are you just spending a few months on the road? Sounds like you are emptying a house and not returning to it? Some friends from up north are here in Florida now with their 5th wheel(?). It's roomy inside with most of the amenities but they store it here after March and return to their home up north for the summer. They travel from Vero to Key West for the next 4 months staying at camp grounds near/on the water. They make reservations year to year so they have it all planned out. Not sure if that would appeal to me. I understand it is a life all in itself. Florida is way too humid for my liking but being from coastal New England, I'm used to it. The summers here can be trying though. Wish we could find the perfect climate somewhere that offered fabulous income potential and great neighborhoods! I know, dream on....
Tammy, I made a great dish last night (but not something my husband will eat). Mediterranean Cod fish. It's a SB recipe I modified and it came out great. It's an orange & olive accented tomato sauce over fish with sauteed onions, garlic and oregano. If anyone's interested I'll post the recipe. It calls for a firm fleshed fish such as haddock, cod, halibut. Having my husband work nights does allow me to indulge in my favorite foods without extra cooking. I'll serve him something he likes from the night before. I'm having guests for T-Giving so I'm working on a suitable SB menu for that. I will indulge in mashed potatoes (1/2 cup!!) that day but need to find a way to lighten up the gravy and sweet potato casserole.
Enjoy the day, folks. Need to get something accomplished around here. Kate
Old 11-21-2008, 09:38 AM   #33  

Wow, has this thread ever gotten busy. Great stuff.

I just have a few minutes as I am heading off to work and I still have to go make some oatmeal.

My pals, FM and OA, go with me everywhere. I rarely stay home for them. Even those days, when my body doesn't want to move, I make it go and do something. The fatigue, however, is a whole other issue. It does stop me in my tracks as I wouldn't even consider driving my care, and it is just too much effort to put one foot in front of the other. Over the years, the FM and the OA have gotten better. I have a wonderful chiropractor who does Upper Cervical Chiropratic and never does manual manipulations. That was when I started to get better. Actually for me, the OA had me disabled for 10 years, and at the start of that time, my pal FM arrived. It hit me in the sternum area and it was difficult to walk because I couldn't seem to get enough air.

Anyway, enough. I will pop back after I get home. Have a good day ladies.
Old 11-21-2008, 10:32 AM   #34  

Default Hey There

Hello Everybody - For the hubby who said that having a colonoscopy was a "piece of cake",I wish he had taken my place for the past 2 days.. I have had 4 of them and this was the worst..NIGHTMARE!!!!!I have a ulcer along with some other things.The golden years are RUSTY. They will check my gallbladder in a couple weeks..
I don't want to think of Christmas right now.. It will be a slim Christmas I feel sure..
Back later.. Joanne
Old 11-21-2008, 02:31 PM   #35  

Joanne, that was my hubby and I am so sorry you had a hard time with yours. Don't they knock you out with that "twighlight" anesthesia? My husband said he didn't know a thing after they knocked him out. Everyone I know who has had their colonoscopy (except me , of course) has said the same thing and that the worst part of the whole procedure was the fasting and the prep. I feel bad that you had a terrible time and hope your gallbladder test goes more smoothly. I may be taking that date off my spring calander now! I do hope you feel better soon.
Anne, what does your chiro use besides manual manipulations? I don't understand upper cervical chiropractic I know it is the neck and base of skull but does he use an activator or something? Would like to know about this method as my DC still does the old "snap, crackle and pop" thing....not as brutal as some I have gone to but still a manual adjustment. Time for the Queen to have her afternoon walk....hubby just got up and he has 2 days off so we need to get some "manly" chores around the house done. Have a great weekend all.
Old 11-21-2008, 07:52 PM   #36  

Hi Kate. I was disabled for 6 years before going to him, and after I started with him, I just got better and better. I am now able to work, casual 2-3 days a week, doing drug screens. I feel so much better when I can be busy. It took me 10 years before I was able to get going again, but I am now going

www.Nucca.0rg is the website, but it says it is currently under construction. This is done by exact measurement. I think, in the USA, the ATLAS treatment is much the same. We don't have anybody who does that, but I know of people who had that treatment and it helped their FM.

Joanne and Mima - glad that it is all over for you.

I am tired, as I just got home from work, and I needed to sit down for a few minutes. Time to start dinner.
Old 11-21-2008, 08:01 PM   #37  

Kate - We're looking to make it permanent, at least in the "until further notice," sense. We don't own, so that makes it easier. Converting a small
two bedroom apartment into a smaller one bedroom apartment on wheels isn't that large a stretch. We're looking to buy a recent model, but used, so it retains as much resale value as possible, so we'll be ready to move into permanent housing again whenever we feel like it. If this ends up being a six month, six year or thirty year adventure, we're prepard for it.
Old 11-22-2008, 06:26 AM   #38  

Kaplod-you don't have to stay in the camper-the nice thing about FL and other places is the abundant sunshine and warmth.
I am glad you are over that-it's not the colnoscopy-you go into lala land and then it's over/ it's the prep. Yesterday my body thought it was still prepping and I had to take 3 Immodium so we could go out.
I think it helps to be involved with something. I went to Art class with my limpy foot and sat next to a lady who had her leg amputated. There were 3 other people with canes and Marlene has heart failure that they can't do anything about. It puts things into perspective. I believe God will give me another body after I die and I will eat lots of icecream with nuts on top. Don't want to get too preachy but I am not staying here forever.
Got great shopping done last night-Dick's Sporting Goods had 25 dollars off a 100 and I got really nice stuff for my grab name=my dil. She's into kickboxing and running so I got her $12 socks and an outfit etc. And she can return anything she doesn;t want.
Gotta go to walmart today. Going to get Evan Wii Music, And get the car serviced.
Bye for now Mima
Old 11-22-2008, 09:03 AM   #39  

Good morning all....and wish I could just bail into a motorhome myself and head off into the sunset. This economy is making me nuts and by the time I get to retirement age, there probably won't be anything left in the social security system to collect! Just had a "tune-up" with our finances and sure does bring on the reality check! If we could stand the cold weather again we'd consider Canada......always loved the wilderness part of it but not the 11 month winters Kaplods, I hope you enjoy whatever time you spend in your moving home and that you get to see some beautiful places in the U.S. Are you bringing a laptop and wireless connection??
Anne, I will check out that sight and hopefully get a better idea about this ATLAS thing...never heard of it.
Mima, I felt the same way when I worked for Hospice for awhile as a CNA. Definitely keeps you grounded when you are around people who have nothing to lose, so to speak. That was one of my favorite jobs though. I might even think about doing it again here in Florida. As for the new body....I am an "old soul" and I don't think I'll be coming back again unless something really exciting happens to make me want to go through yet another life......Off to do my T-Giving food shopping to get all the good sales. Enjoy the day folks. Kate
Old 11-22-2008, 10:43 AM   #40  

Default Hey There

Mima- You got that right. IT'S the prep. I too had to take immodium to get it stopped the day after..I am still not feeling good.. When I can't control my life ,I don't like it.
Kate I was a nurse for over 30 years when one day I said ENOUGH.. Although I retained all that I learned I wanted no more of it..Burn out.
Over the years I watched and helped so many die that I became numb to it.. That is not how life is supposed to be.. Now my G/daughter is a RN and I pray she doesn't get into a area where there is only the end.
Kaplods West Fl. is not as busy as East Fl. There are a lot of retirees over here..
Hello Happy, Meme, Candice.
Have a good weekend everybody
Joanne
Old 11-22-2008, 11:08 AM   #41  

Good morning.

Kate - you make me laugh. I still have no snow here in Alberta. Wouldn't live anywhere else. Yes, we do have winter, but it is cold and usually clear, and no humidity. Actually, pain wise, winter is the best time of the year for me. I can go from Jan to April without having any chiro. treatments at all. Spring is a beautiful time here, and summers are super good with long days and nice warm weather. Fall is another spectacular time of year. I love the change of seasons. Hey, I am still wearing my summer jacket here.

I was in Florida last year in February, and it was darn well colder there than it was at home. One day of hot weather, our first day, and then it rained and was just plain miserable. I much preferred mid Florida to the Ft. Lauderdale area. As I have said before, I don't do well with humidity. I would probably do well in Arizona.

If you can get and Atlas treatment, you should give it a try.

Our economy here is changing as well, but I believe our banks are more stable. However, they also invested in some of the mortgages that the banis in the US had available. So they lost money and we ALL know that banks HATE to lose money, so you know who pays

Mima and Joanne - hope you are both doing well today.
Old 11-22-2008, 01:44 PM   #42  

I think finding all of the places that are just as nice as any of the popular tourist spots, but "off the beaten path" is going to be the most fun. Visiting popular spots "off season" is also going to be a treat, I think.

And Mima, you're so right of not having to stay in the RV. Our apartment is shrinking, but WOW the back yard, we're going to have.

Kate - Yes, we will be taking a laptop with wireless. So I'll definitely still be a 3FC regular. I've met some RV full-timers who sell their crafts on ebay and etsy, so that's something I'm looking into also. I've never made any money with my crafts, but I sell just enough to make crafting affordable. Full-timing, I'll either have to cut back on the crafting, or find ways to keep selling (I'll probably be doing some of both).

The hardest part is getting ready for the move. I can't go much past a "putter" in terms of getting stuff sorted. Luckily my husband's best friend lives in our apartment building. And in exchange for feeding him occasionally, he does most of our heavy lifting.
Old 11-23-2008, 05:12 AM   #43  

Good morning. Well, Alison lost her job answering the phone and placing ticket orders. Her Spina Bifida affects her remembering things , so that may be the problem. Needless to say, she is upset. I also bought her 3 ourfits for work so I will return 2 of them-she doesn't need dressy clothes for college.
We are going to a play at her old school and Brad is watching Evan.
I feel fine now-think I reinjured my foot=ouch.
The economy will turn around-I lost half of my investments the last time it was slow but now it's in a fund that doesn't make much money but never goes down. And cd's. Can't believe how fortunate we are,
I got up too early-bye for now Mima
Old 11-23-2008, 01:49 PM   #44  

Well, it's Sunday again....and football graces the TV in the other room. Had a set back last night on the SB plan....went to dinner with neighbors to a local pub and I ate some pub fries. You know, they didn't taste all that great for some reason! But I'm sure that might account for only one pound lost this week. Need to focus on portions next week just to make sure I'm not over doing. Middle spine area is acting up today too. I checked out the ATLAS manipulation but like you Anne, I'm having trouble accessing the NUCCA website. I did check our phone directory to see if any of the chiros in my area offered upper cervical services but no luck. Once I can get into the website, I can do a search through NUCCA. I do appreciate the info you passed along and will be sure to follow it up. Thanks. Hope Joanne and Mima are feeling better today Will probably check back in later this evening after hubby leaves for work. Gorgeous here today...windy and sunny.
Old 11-23-2008, 06:53 PM   #45  

Default Hey There

Hello Everybody- I think I will live!!I feel better today.. I see my primary Dr. on tuesday. Maybe he will give me more information.
I lost 6 lbs due to the prep. CRAP! I got it back. It was all fluid I know. It was good to see on the scale for a couple days though. Now if I can lose it for real.. That is about all I need to lose .
Sorry to hear Alison lost her job. She will find another one.
We are going to our daughters on Wednesday for Thanksgiving.. I am looking forward to seeing them..
We went to the church our son goes to last night. There was a Thanksgiving dinner there. We met some nice people there. I would like to go there if it was closer..
Joanne
Closed Thread