Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 08-10-2007, 04:41 PM   #1  
300+ Chick

Default Shizoprenhia/Weight Loss

Hello,

I hope it is okay to put this on here. I was debating which part to put this under and I need to address this and see if am not alone.

I started dealing with this mental health condition back in 99...was many times in the hospital between that time till 2000.

I had been in groups for my condition to understand and function in life. I had social workers, and the groups had helped me .

Now, my condition is stable which I see my psychirst every few months for medication treatment. I am on Risperdal M Tabs, which it's my Godsend to help me comprehend things better. I have to take this for life..

One thiing that my mental health center don't help me with is my issues with my weight. Which it is the root of my problem and caused me nothing but misery.

I am curious of there are any ladies on here dealing with this condition and tackling weight loss efforts.. and succeed.

Thank you..
Liliann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 12:22 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

Height: 5'5"

Hi Lillian,

I don't have schizophrenia or and advice, but I want to send you a little e - support. It must be really really tough dealing what you've had to deal with for the last 8 years! One of my best friend's brothers was diagnosed with schizophrenia over 2 years ago, and it has been such a huge challenge to get him help. I did a lot of research at the time in order to better help my friend, and I know you must have gone through lots of struggles and challenges with it.

I am so happy that the Risperal is helping, and that you are doing so great. I admire you a LOT!

Also, I notice that your ticker shows you have lost 34 lbs.... that is AWESOME! It sounds like you are making lots of effort to drop the weight. My friend's brother was always average sized, but now that he is on medication, he has also gained weight - maybe 40=50 lbs. and he's not a tall guy. Does the medication actually cause you gain? If so, that must be so frustrating!

What specific things are you trying to do to lose weight? Do you have any friends close by or family who can encourage and support you? If not, you know you have many here at 3FC!!!!

Anyway, I just wanted to say hi and tell you I'm so glad you're doing well with your schizophrenia - I know it can be difficult to manage. You must be a very strong person!

Hang in there with the weight loss... just take it slow and the lbs will come off. Before you know it, you'll see 5 more gone, then 10, then 15, and soon you'll be 50 lbs down. Stick with it and take care!
walking2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 06:46 PM   #3  
300+ Chick

Thank you Claire for your kind words and support of my condition/efforts. I am sorry about your best friend brother dealing with this. It is a tough challenge, . I am not sure about the medication cause weight gain..but I do put part of the blame on the meds due of eating so much. Mental health runs in my family and one thing that am learning on with medications is does make you eat more. I was on regualr risperdal, but switched to sugar free.

I live with my family and they are very, very helpful/supportive.

One advice to your best friend brother that deals with this is take the meds daily,no matter what.and also listen to the mental health professionals.. They are caring and do help alot when tough time strikes.

Again, thank you for your warm and caring support.
Liliann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 11:40 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

Height: 5'5"

Hi Lillian,

It sounds like you have a great support structure. My friends brother does too, though there have been ups and downs. Right now he is still working but apparently he is on thin ice at his job, so that is a big challenge now.

Anyway, keep on keeping on! And like i said, I do admire you so much for how well you are doing, and you are losing.... slow and steady wins the race! Take care
walking2lose is offline   Reply With Quote