Old 01-17-2016, 10:14 AM   #16  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

There is no food that I will never eat again, but since I started eating healthier, more vegetables and healthier meats, I no longer crave sweets. I think once your body starts getting the nutrients it needs it no longer craves empty calories. A cookie here and there (or an alcoholic drink) doesn't hurt when it doesn't lead to a binge.
Wannabehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 10:23 AM   #17  
Free Fat to a Good Home!

S/C/G: 238.8/ticker/140

Height: 5'3

What I'm doing is letting myself have that "treat" or "meal" once a month (or twice, depending on how things are going). You're less likely to go and stuff your face with unhealthy things if you let your body have that donut or cookie once a month. Real life isn't never ever ever eating any sweets or unhealthy foods - you have to learn how to swerve around them and allow yourself to eat them in moderation
ap14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 10:55 AM   #18  

S/C/G: 157/155/140

Height: 5'6"

ap14 - That is great thinking. I need to get into that mindset also.

Good luck everyone
wantochange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 11:50 AM   #19  
I Can Do This

S/C/G: S 270/C Ticker/MiniGoal#1 170

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap14 View Post
What I'm doing is letting myself have that "treat" or "meal" once a month (or twice, depending on how things are going). You're less likely to go and stuff your face with unhealthy things if you let your body have that donut or cookie once a month. Real life isn't never ever ever eating any sweets or unhealthy foods - you have to learn how to swerve around them and allow yourself to eat them in moderation
ap14, this has pretty much been my approach too. I just have to reframe certain foods and meals a treats or indulgences and not as regular standard food choices!

The rather bad habit I seem to have gotten into lately though is that treats and indulgences have become part of my everyday eating. I'm certainly not eating as much of them as I used to - but it's become an every day thing. Thankfully I haven't gained - but I haven't lost either!

I started with the mindset that if regular "maintenance" eating was 100%, I was eating at about 130%. To get to a healthier comfortable weight, I'd like to eat at about 90% - no deprivation - but low enough to lose at a moderate weight. I've slipped back to 100% almost every day.
Vickie Chickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 01:34 PM   #20  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

I had a thought that maybe for the original poster, eating those foods for her would be similar to alcohol for an alcoholic and she can't eat even one because it would be trouble for her.

Each person is different ~ for her maybe it has to be none of those things because otherwise she wouldn't be able to stop at just a little bit, while someone else might be able to eat a little bit of those things occasionally and be able to stop at that.

For me ~ I am somewhere in the middle. I haven't ever been able to "never" have those things again. Now-a-days I am not quite as bad as I used to be. I seem to be able to eat a little of those things and soon, get back to eating the right things instead of it taking weeks to get back to doing the right thing.
glynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 02:52 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 108/105/71 kg

Height: 168cm

Hi Carol Sue, I agree with you, I have cut cane-sugars out and don't even look at them as a treat now. The flavor of something sweet offered in front of me is totally unwanted. Keep up the strong mindset, you're doing well.
Orange2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 06:48 PM   #22  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

I have never gotten over my craving for sweets, but I am finding that chromium is helpful for me. I am eating more grains these days, and I have to be very careful, as that leads me to sweet cravings. I am trying to do things like having raspberries with a packet of splenda sprinkled on it, and a couple of tblsps of cream, rather than cookies or pie. Still feels indulgent, without the sugary fix. I know low carb wisdom would have us get off sugar completely for a while, and I have done that a few times, but the cravings never leave.
fatmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 09:55 PM   #23  

Good for you! That is almost word for word the proclamation I made last summer before going on to lose 40 pounds. I love my sweets though and the only thing that got me through when I was tempted to hit the ice cream was cream cheese and almond flour...from which sprouted a delicious blueberry cheesecake that kept me on the straight and narrow. Some weeks I made and consumed two or three of those puppies to get through the cravings of my sweet tooth! I only wish I could find a more inexpensive source of almond flour than the local supermarket...highway robbery!!! LOL!
Carbhater is offline   Reply With Quote