Closed Thread

Old 10-13-2014, 02:58 PM   #46  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

I'm glad you enjoyed your retreat, Shannon. I think you really needed that "me time." I can't wait to see the things you made. Your plans for your sewing room sound great!

I'm sure you will get back to your healthy eating plan, especially after your read your interview in print! You did so well and were feeling so good....I know you want to get back to that.

I was reading Protein Power over the weekend. I got a lot out of it in understanding the important of keeping blood sugar low and along with that, keeping insulin levels low. High insulin levels cause a lot of problems. The reading was more to reinforce my resolve to stick with this....I already knew most of what I read. It's a daily battle.
Old 10-13-2014, 05:27 PM   #47  
~Shannon

S/C/G: 210.8/see ticker/140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in

No luck at Food Lion. The date on the current issue is Oct 17 so I wonder if they have to wait til after that date to display the new issue? Oh well, I guess sometime next week we'll see it!

Well, my resolve lasted until this afternoon when I saw that my daughter did NOT eat the super cute frosted pumpkin sugar cookie I put in her lunch from my Panera dinner on the way home last night. She is not a big cookie person but I thought it was so cute. Anyway I couldn't resist it. I had one at dinner and it was super yum. As soon as I saw it had not even a bite out of it I caved. Oh well, tomorrow is another day!
Old 10-13-2014, 09:35 PM   #48  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Shannon Glad you are back safe and had a good time. Your craft room will be lovely when you get it done and hope we will see pics of it when finished.

I'm not back OP yet, but I plan to get back to it tomorrow. I did do my exercise today of almost 27 minutes on the recumbent bike and actually enjoyed doing it. I found out why I was doing so good before my trip and the big mistake I made when I got off.

I was taking a new suppliment that I had heard about that GNC sells called Glucocil. I read the reviews on there of T 2 diabetic who were really having success getting their bs under control. I found a lot of information out there about it that I didn't have or know of back in the springtime when DH and I started taking it. Not only was our A1c so much better, but so was all of our cholesterol numbers before the trip. I remember even the doctor asked what we were doing different.

Today I found the website for the company that makes it. I printed the materials on how and why it works and the info on each ingredient and what they do and how they work because I wanted DH to read it. I started taking it again Friday and I ordered 2 more bottles of it and hope they get here tomorrow as DH and I will be out of them after tomorrow. They even have a FB page and there are loads of testimonials on there about it and how some of them use it and take it. Even found a recipe on there, didn't look at any others as I was more interested in what others were saying. Not only are people getting bs normal, but it helps you lose weight as well mainly because you don't feel hungry so many just eat smaller portions. Now that I think back, I remember not being hungry when I took this before. I'm not saying it is a miracle pill, because I did see a few people that it didn't work for, but it is a working formula for many and it did work for me.

The company site did have some QA page, but didn't answer mine. So I called the company this afternoon because I wanted to know about diet... low carb, lowfat or just eat sensibly or what and I also needed to know if diarrhea was a side effect. It turns out I didn't have to ask about the diarrhea because she said that it helps the body ingest the carbohydrates and that it also helps the carbs the body does not absorb to move on out through the intestines so that if you eat too many carbohydrates it could cause you a digestive problem to which I asked her if that could mean diarrhea and she said yes it could cause it if you are eating too many. However, she did say that you don't have to restrict them strictly like Atkins, because I had mentioned Atkins to her. However, she said that everyone is different and to do whatever diet my doctor says for me to do.

I've learned that this pill was created to help lower the bs levels and normalize it and it helps you lose weight and also gives you energy. I read of people whose bs has become normal and they are losing weight and even have the energy to exercise. I know from experience that this works because even DH and I were improving numbers when we took it in the spring time. I was amazed reading on FB where people were saying that the only side effects they had was weight loss and energy and others were saying they were having normal bs readings. Some within days and some within 3 weeks.

I did read one review where it had been looked at and evaluated. The only problems they saw with it was that there were a few people that it did not work for and they said that the FDA has not approved it and is on to the company because it has on their website that it does help people get their diabetes under control.

You can google it or go to GNC and read about it if you want.
Old 10-14-2014, 09:38 AM   #49  

Yesterday, my BS went up high and I don't know why. I knew it was high because I got really sleepy and went in and took a nap. I used Glimiperide to get it back down. I made some sugar-free jello and I'm wondering if by some mistake it was not really sugar-free. I will have to eat some again today and see what happens. Other than that, I had meatloaf for dinner. It had bread crumbs in it, but I have eaten meatloaf often without any BS spikes. When I think of it, instead of bread crumbs I used crushed croutons from stuffing mix. I don't really know what the difference would be. Either way, my step-daughter took the leftover meatloaf home so I don't have to worry about that anymore. I started off today with a BS of 104 so I will avoid carbs today to keep it low.

Trish
, I hope the Glucocil helps you and is not the cause of your diarrhea. I read one site that said it should not be taken by anyone who has heart disease, so that's when I quit reading. I have to be very careful about taking anything not prescribed by my doctor because of that. None of the ingredients sounds like anything dangerous.
Old 10-14-2014, 10:45 AM   #50  

Carol Sue I'm sorry I forgot about the heart disease warning. I forget you have that problem. The spike in your BS is a mystery. Glad you got it back down.

I am OP today. I am going to eat only a minimal amount of starchy carbs as long as my FBS keeps coming down and as long as I don't have the diarrhea. I read that the Glucocil helps the intestines absorb 21% of carabs and the body throws off the rest. I have a feeling that eating white carbs such as flour and sugar has been my problem as well as too many good carbs. I will have to work at learning how many grain type carbs I can eat without any problems, but I most of my carbs will be coming from veggies and nuts. I will cut back even more as needed. Right now I want to keep total carbs below 100 g. Even eating 1/4 of an avocado and a little mayo each day, the fat grams aren't all that high. Somehow I've got a my protein grams higher than the fat today, but that is okay since I haven't been eating enough protein lately. And I've been using a lot of lowfat proteins so I'm sure that is where the problem is. But then I'm not sure my body can handle too much high fat.

I do plan to eat my starch carbs at my main meal and I'm going to go back to taking my Metformin at that time since my doctor had recommended that I take it with my largest meal of the day. I did read that I can take the Glucocil 3x a day instead 2x. Since I'm low on them right now, I will take 1 3x a day until I get the new ones and then go to 2 3x a day or go back to the 2 2x a day as long as I have no major side effects. BTW I haven't had any side effects since I didn't overdo the starchy carbs yesterday. If I had known all I know now, I would have just cut back on the Glucocil and kept taking it while on our trip, but I didn't. So lesson learned and now I am back on track and very happy with my plan. Just the 4 days back on it and I feel great. I woke up ready to get up and looking forward to planning my meals/snacks for today and I even look forward to doing my exercise on my bike later today.

Have a great day.
Old 10-14-2014, 12:30 PM   #51  

Trish, I am so used to checking things because of my heart disease, that is the first thing I do.

Today DH made scrambled eggs for breakfast and I had mine with a small sliced tomato. We have 4 tomatoes left from the garden, then we have to go back to buying them at the grocery store. They're just not the same.

For lunch I made some Vegetti Zucchini, sauteed in coconut oil, with some jarred pesto mixed it. Used a bit too much pesto and the flavor was a little strong for me, but tasty none the less.

I haven't decided what I'll make for dinner.
Old 10-14-2014, 02:22 PM   #52  

I saw in a magazine that William Davis has a new book out Wheat Belly Total Health. I think it's a follow up to Wheat Belly. I put it on hold at the library and expect it to be available to me after Nov 1. Another read to strengthen my resolve.
Old 10-14-2014, 05:01 PM   #53  

I was in the middle of cooking dinner when my husband came up out of the basement and told me I could not use the sink...a drain pipe in the basement had a leak and he had to go get parts for it. And what was I making? Chicken! "Wash your hand often when handling raw chicken." I did the best I could under the circumstances and I hope we don't get sick. I used utensils instead of touching the chicken and kept using clean plates out of my cupboard. Now he has the pipe repaired, and I will be washing every plate in the house since I dirtied all of them LOL

The chicken was delicious! I eat dark meat, bone in, skin on. He eats boneless chicken breast. I finally found a way to cook them through and keep it from getting dry, and it might reform me into a white meat eater! I cut the breasts crosswise, then pound them until thin. Then I salt and pepper and brown them on both sides in a bit of oil . The browning just about cooks them through, but I put them on the grill when my pieces are almost done to let them finish cooking. Very tender and tasty.

After dinner my BS was 117. Then I ate some of my "sugar free jello" so we will see if my BS spikes again like it did yesterday.
Old 10-14-2014, 08:03 PM   #54  

I've had a great OP day. And I ended up doing 31 minutes on the recumbent bike. I was watching something on tv and lost track of time. No huffing and puffing while exercising. In fact, I really enjoyed doing it. I use my little weights when riding like I used to do with one of Sansone's dvd. I actually did more than double what I used to do of each movement and could have done more, but thought I better not overdo it. I'm not even taking full doses of the Glucocil because I only have partial dose for tomorrow and I want DH to have more than 1 dose since his diabetes was worse than mine last time we went to the doctor. I haven't had a slump of wanting to sleep today either. So he low dose is okay for now.

Carol Sue I know how you must have felt with no water while cooking chicken. I am always cleaning when I cook all meat but especially chicken. Glad you got the pipe fixed.

Also glad you bs is back in a healthy range.

Shannon Hope you are having a good day.

Catch y'all tomorrow.
Old 10-15-2014, 02:07 AM   #55  
~Shannon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabehealthy View Post
I saw in a magazine that William Davis has a new book out Wheat Belly Total Health. I think it's a follow up to Wheat Belly. I put it on hold at the library and expect it to be available to me after Nov 1. Another read to strengthen my resolve.
According to the Facebook Wheat Belly groups I am in, they say that the new book is quite good and that the author changes his stance on some things from the first book. I would like to read it but so far my new library does not appear to have plans to get it in. I'm going to hold out though for a bit. I put the 30 min cookbook on hold. I have the original cookbook but I've not found too much in it that sounds appealing whereas I've heard the 30 min is much better.
Old 10-15-2014, 02:09 AM   #56  
~Shannon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabehealthy View Post
I was in the middle of cooking dinner when my husband came up out of the basement and told me I could not use the sink...a drain pipe in the basement had a leak and he had to go get parts for it. And what was I making? Chicken! "Wash your hand often when handling raw chicken." I did the best I could under the circumstances and I hope we don't get sick. I used utensils instead of touching the chicken and kept using clean plates out of my cupboard. Now he has the pipe repaired, and I will be washing every plate in the house since I dirtied all of them LOL
Oh dear! I'm honestly amazed we don't get sick all the time. It seems like everytime I handle raw meat something happens that calls me away or it gets all over the counter and then something calls me away and I forget to clean it well....I guess our kitchen angels are working overtime, LOL!
Old 10-15-2014, 02:20 AM   #57  
~Shannon

Hi ladies,

Still struggling to get back OP here. Ugh! I hope soon as I can really tell I've been off way too long, I'm bloating, my reflux is worsening, I just don't feel so great. I'm also ingesting way too much caffeine and sugar and it is affecting my sleep. Tonight I took my melatonin shortly before midnight and it is after 2 am and I am still up. I cleaned the kitchen and watched a movie. CRAZY!

Tomorrow I'm getting a haircut with a new person. I took my daughter to her last week and it went well. She is someone I knew in high school that happens to live here now (next town over). My daughter liked her and the haircut was pretty much the same as what we got in our last town. My hair is a little more complicated though since it's short all over so we'll see how it goes. In our old town I just went to Fantastic Sams but had a really good stylist there, here the FS did not appeal to me at all. My husband gets his hair cut there still but there was just a feeling in there that did not appeal to me. I really liked it in our old town though so I was kind of bummed but maybe this is God's way of giving my old friend new business.

We met with our contractor today and went over the plans for the new sewing room and I am very excited. We also did something else kind of crazy today - we bought a new fancy smancy lawn mower. Hubby has been eyeing it since we moved. It has been in front of Lowe's, a return marked down. It dropped in price again today so there was no holding him back, LOL! It's called a Raven. It is really crazy. It mows lawns with a tight turning radius (which we need bc of how our lawn is shaped) but it also is a hybrid so it's part electric, part gas. The lawn mower runs on gas but when you use it, it charges the electric part. You can drive this thing up to 17 mph on electric, doesn't hardly make a sound. And it functions as a generator so we can drive it up to our hedges that are far from outlets and just plug our trimmer into the lawn mower instead of having to run multiple cords to wherever the nearest outlet is! It also has a small cargo bin in the back which Olivia can ride around in (or I can haul a few leaf bags in there). It's wild. I was skeptical of the amount but with it being a return, we got it almost half off and now seeing all that it does, I can see why it is priced the way it is. It's still a very fancy lawn toy but I think we'll get our money's worth with all that we will use it. We can ride it like a golf cart all around the neighborhood! I thought hubby might want to sell the other lawn mower we got before we moved but he says he can see uses for both of them so I think we will keep it for now. The garage is turning into a lawn mower center!

We are also getting ready to refinance the new mortgage, using a chunk of the equity from our old house to lower our mortgage payment. I'm thinking from the sounds of it we will lower it by about $200 per month which will be great.

Last edited by Shannonsnail; 10-15-2014 at 02:23 AM.
Old 10-15-2014, 11:04 AM   #58  

Shannon When we moved here about 8 yrs ago, we bought the riding mower DH has after checking into how much it would cost to have it done. I figured that the mower, trimmer and edger payed for themselves within the first couple of years when you think of how much they charge to do it. I'm sure you will be glad you got it in the long run.

I have been OP as far as calories and exercise, but I think I need to go back to low carb. I know calories count, but I think low carb calories work better for me. So I got back OP this morning with the idea that there will be a few times a week when I might eat a few more carbs, but I don't think I need to make it a regular thing. I just hope I can get myself back to it. I start the day out good and then end the day with more high carb foods.

I did have a tsp of CO in my first cup of coffee this morning. I've been eating Canadian bacon lately which cause me to eat towards more low calorie/lowfat foods and I think not getting enough fat has been a problem too. I do think I have to be careful not to eat too much fat. This morning I had my regular bacon. It was kind of old since I've frozen, thawed and re-froze and thawed it probably too many times, but it tasted really good. I'll have to get some fresher bacon and more eggs when I go to the store.
So I've started OP of low carbing w/Mod fat so far today and hoping I will be able to stay OP all day.

I know we can do this girls because we have done it before.

Carol Sue I'm not going to buy another book right now. I'll wait to see what you find out.

I thought about doing WW again because you can have so many good healthy fruit and veggies and some of them count as zero or only 1 pt. Then I could spend my pts on protein and fat. Not sure. I may just do lc/mf using IF/IE. I seem to get into more trouble when I'm counting calories/pts and even carbs sometimes. So I will see.

So far no side effects from the Glucocil. I sure hope the new bottles come in today. I'm taking 1 3x a day and I just may do that for a while because it seems to be working better. It does help me stay regular, but not diarrhea. I can surely live with that. My FBS has been between 130s and 140s while eating higher carbs. I think when I get my carbs down maybe around 40 to 50 grams the reading will be lower.

Have a good day. Catch y'all later.
Old 10-15-2014, 04:47 PM   #59  

Shannon, it sounds like DH got the Cadillac of lawn mowers! Good deal! I don't know why I say "DH" because I know you will be using it too!

Trish, I don't buy any books anymore unless I get them at Goodwill where they are only $1. I was surprised the library had this one already. They have 2 copies and they are both out so I am next in line to get it when someone returns it. Wheat Belly went into some things I didn't get, but as Shannon said, this one is supposed to be better with some new ideas. Either way, if I get it from the library it's not costing me anything so I can just return it if it doesn't interest me. No money lost! I have so many books and many I gave away.
Old 10-16-2014, 11:49 AM   #60  
~Shannon

Trying to have an OP day today....when I went to bed last night I felt horrible, bloating/gas, knee pain....must get back OP!!!
Closed Thread