Closed Thread

Old 09-08-2014, 11:28 PM   #46  
~Shannon

S/C/G: 210.8/see ticker/140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in

Hi ladies,

I had a couple good days and then it all crashed like it often does and my FBS was 122 today. That is the most it's been since when I first kind of got started checking it regularly. It has been around 98-99 for a while so this was definitely not good - due to ice cream I suspect.

I ended up ordering those cookbooks from the Satisfying Eats blog I mentioned. I joined a Wheat Belly Facebook group and asked there what people thought of those and got a really strong positive response so I decided to order. I got them in the mail today and just finished going through the first one. They are pretty large - I'm pleased with the number of recipes in them and am looking forward to using them to work on meal planning. That is my number one problem - I don't plan. With a family to feed (including a particularly cranky husband when not happy with food) it's just too easy to go out and we've been doing that alot, even past the "moving" stage. The only thing about the cookbooks is that her sweetener of choice is a powdered stevia which I don't have so I need to pick that up because I have no idea how to convert from her stevia references to what I have on hand. Normally that would kind of throw me off but like I said I got a overwhelming response when I asked about her recipes so I want to give it a try. Hoping to pick the stevia up tomorrow at the Trader Joes while I'm in Raleigh.

We are still tying up the old house for the market. Mark went up there Sunday and dealt with a few things and tomorrow I have to go to let the carpet folks in and do a final inspection of the paint job which should have been completed today. Mark was there while they were painting and addressed a few things so hopefully there is nothing to report. Here is a link to our listing so you can see my cute little house we vacated
http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/10...60537297_zpid/ The inside pics will be taken once everything is done and supposedly it will be "on market" on the 18th or before.

I have my craft room almost to the point of being ready to start working on something. My first project is going to be creating some 3 dimensional fabric letters spelling out 'Autumn' to string up across the mantle and then I want to make something for the front and back doors. I have an embroidery pattern for them which makes them quick. I started working on the alphabet for Olivia to have a while back and never finished but since at preschool they do letters of the week I think I'll try to give her a letter each week. I have through like J or so done so I just have to pick up and finish them when she gets to whichever letter. We leave for the beach on Sunday so hopefully I can get the Autumn banner either done before then or get the fabric cut out and maybe I'll take my machine with me this year and work on some things. Last year I took a ton of fabric and cut out patterns that I was planning to sew at the October sewing retreat. This year I have no idea what I'll work on at the retreat because I've been out of my room for so long. I need to get to thinking!

This beach trip is kind of stressing me. I can't remember if I told ya'll this or not but this trip is with hubby's sister and mom. In the past there has been drama and tension. Fortunately, last year it went pretty well so I'm hoping for the same this year. We have to take our dog with us this year because he has been so sick and we don't have anyone in the new area to watch him for us and administer his meds. He has been on an antibiotic for 10 days and it has not helped at all. I'm not sure if it's the cancer or what. Anyway, he is coughing ALL THE TIME. I am getting very little sleep at night because he starts coughing anytime me or Mark move in the bed, Mark sleeps through it of course but I'm a light sleeper and it is keeping me up. I'm actually contemplating sleeping on the sleeper sofa tonight since I've barely gotten any sleep for a week or so now.

So, we have the added care of the dog on this trip (taking him out to potty, listening to him cough all the time, not being able to leave and not worry about anything going on back at the house, him keeping me up at night, etc PLUS generally I cook most of the meals and I just have not had time to prepare anything (I usually make ahead and freeze) or even think about what to make. My sister in law is vegetarian so I have to factor that in and now, with me eating meat at every meal, it makes it harder to come up with meals where the meat is kind of separate and optional. So, it's really weighing on me and we leave SOON. I also have to get us all packed. So, just send some good thoughts and prayers my way because I really could use a good vacation and so far, this one is just stressing me out!!!

Last edited by Shannonsnail; 09-08-2014 at 11:29 PM.
Old 09-09-2014, 10:02 AM   #47  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Shannon Prayers coming your way. Hope you can enjoy your time at the beach. The old house is cute, but I like our new one better. Just my preference as I'm not a two story house person any more. Loved it when I had it years ago, but not since I'm older. You make me think I ought to think of doing crafts again, but I kind of past that one too.

Well, my weight is coming down. I had a new low again today, but my FBS was 141. Don't remember what I did so will have to look at my menu for yesterday on MFP. As I read the Doctor's Diet, I'm thinking more in terms of a Calorie counting/Carbohydrate Addicts way of eating. However, I am concerned with the climbing fbs. Some how I've got to figure out how to get the weight and the bs going down at the same time. Oh, my new low weight is 216.4. I think it has been years since I've seen that low number.

Shannon mentioning Wheat Belly reminds me that I have the book and had it out to start reading when the Doctor's Diet book arrived. I think I need to read it too. My Mama always said that she craved bread the whole time she was pregnant with me and I believe it plus that my aunt once said to me "You are just like your Daddy, you can make a sandwich out of anything". I always have a tendency to drift back to eating bread and the fact that Doctor's Diet allows whole grain breads doesn't help me. While it doesn't seem to keep me from losing weight, it may very well be what causes the fbs to go up. My doctor said to me the same thing that this doctor says in the book about wheat when I asked him about eating it... "You don't have Celiac disease so there is no reason for you to give up wheat". I'm not sure they know all they think they know about it. And I'm not sure if I should be eating it or not.

I like the weight loss, but I sure don't want my bs going up.

Well, tomorrow I go to the doctor and get my test results and A1c reading. Will see where I go from there. I do get bored with the low carb diet, but when it comes right down to it, I like what I can have on it more than what I can't. Just have to get my head around this way of life again.

Have a good day.
Old 09-09-2014, 12:31 PM   #48  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Shannon, I'm not able to open your link to the old house.

I hope things go well for you on vacation. It does make it difficult when you have people eating different food plans. For DH and I, it works because he likes potatoes so I just make extra veggies and he includes the potatoes. I really don't know how to cook for a vegetarian, so I'm glad I don't have any in my family. I think the person who eats vegetarian should plan on contributing to the meal planning and preparation. Would she be willing to do that?

Trish
, I am just finishing up the Cholesterol Clarity book for the second time so I haven't moved on to the second reading of the DR Diet. Anytime I see a plan that includes starchy carbs I just work around them. I omit the things that raise my blood sugar. For me, it was his explanations of how things work that interested me rather than the actual food items. You can always tweak the menu. I know that goes against your tendancy to want to follow 100%, but you are unique, and you won't find a plan that fits exactly into your personal needs. IMO if wheat raises your blood sugar then you need to cut back or omit it from your diet. It has nothing to do with gluten intolerance. The medical community doesn't seem to get that. If I ate the way they instructed me, 45 gm of carb at each meal and 15 gm of carb at 2 snacks, where would I be? Just my opinion, again.

Here are some other points I learned from Cholesterol Clarity. One way of raising your HDL is IF with a 16 hr fasting window. This also helps my FBS. Last night I was really tired after dinner, so I went in and watched TV in bed and actually fell asleep for a little while. Being asleep kept me from eating in the evening. After we actually went to be I couldn't fall asleep because I was hungry. I came out and made a fried egg. Not only did that allow me to fall asleep, but my FBS was 116. That is much lower than it usually is when I eat a snack. So I guess I can remember that an egg is ok if I really need something. I will only do that if I am too hungry to fall asleep.

It also said that for people who do not want to eat high saturated fat, they can eat monounsaturated fat such as that in avocados and olive oil. It does the same.

It had a short segment on glucose intolerance and it said the reason we become shaky and nauseated and have to eat is because our bodies are sugar burners and have lost the ability to burn fat. We need to correct the insulin resistance to change that.

Today we bought some bacon because DH wanted a BLT since we have so many tomatoes. I cooked 1 piece with my lunch and even mixed in with my veggies it is just too salty for my taste. I can eat it on a BLT because of the tomato lettuce and bread, but now I'm not eating the bread so no more BLT for me unless I eat it wrapped in a lettuce leaf.

My step-daughter wants to use my glue gun so I have to go find it for her. Shannon, maybe your DH can come find it for me! LOL
Old 09-09-2014, 02:37 PM   #49  

Well, I just typed a whole new post and lost it. So will try it again.

Carol Sue I agree that I don’t have to do a plan 100%. In fact, I’ve decided that IF does work for me and eating LCMF works for me along with IF. I’m not going to worry about the few times that I cannot be 100% in control of everything as I think that is what does me in. I will do 100% low carb on days that I can and not worry about the days that I cannot for whatever reason.

I’ve started doing my formal exercises again for 20 minutes at least 3 or 4 days a week. That will also be perfect some weeks and some weeks it won’t. I am trying to become more active in many different ways other than the formal 20 minutes which should make up for days I don’t do them. I did 20 minutes on the recumbent bike yesterday and 20 minutes with the kettle bell dvd today. Tomorrow, we have doctor appts so it will be walking around at Walmart for a while after when we go get our meds.

I know I have to stop being so hard on myself and just do what I would say to someone else on here... just do the best I can work toward eventually having more good days than bad and the rest will fall into place. TAKE IT ONE DAY AT A TIME.
Old 09-10-2014, 10:43 AM   #50  

Trish, I finally finished the Cholesterol book and am now rereading the Dr Diet. I went online and renewed both of them so now I have them until the end of the month. I chuckled yesterday when I read in the Cholesterol book, "Because of genetic differences, you can have 100 people doing the same diet plan and get 100 different results." Isn't that what we always say? Just by eating all the different vegetables and going low carb I lowered my total and LDL cholesterol each 60 points and my triglycerides 100 points, so dietary changes DO help! Unfortunately, it has not effected my weight in the same way, but in the DR Diet he says that even if you eat healthy foods, if you eat more calories than you burn you will not lose weight. I am going to try to cut my portions down based on his suggested menu. My protein servings are higher than he suggests. I will not add the grains or starchy veggies every day, but I will have them sometimes. And I will probably use more than 1 serving of fat per day. I will eat breakfast every day, but I just don't eat it as soon as I get up.

The Cholesterol Clarity book says that IF helps with raising your HDL, so I will do that as much as I can. I don't expect to be perfect.

I was reading reviews online and a lot of people strongly disagree with what Jimmy Moore says in Cholesterol Clarity, but after seeing the big differences in my lab results, numbers don't lie. I don't think he is 100% right or 100% wrong.
Old 09-10-2014, 11:18 AM   #51  

S/C/G: 264/264/200

Height: 5'10"

Shannon we've found the easiest (and tastiest) way to have easy meals with people who are veggie and not is to grill out. Will you have access to a grill at the beach? We love doing portobello caps and other marinated veggies along with chicken breast or flank steak.

I'm upping my activity a bit more by trying to walk stairs at work on my breaks. Honestly though it isn't my activity level that's holding me back, it's bad eating. Since we still don't have access to a kitchen we're at least trying to make more conscious choices about where we get food - less fast food, more grilled options and fewer carbs. We're temporarily moving in with my inlaws so we can keep the house show-ready and thankfully my MIL generally cooks healthier (and is willing to work with us on what we should be eating). I think my next goal will be to have a serving of raw veggies every day.
Old 09-10-2014, 03:29 PM   #52  

Trish, this guy, Dr David Perlmutter has been on public TV lately promoting his latest book about low carb, low gluten for brain health, such as protection against Alzheimers. I only watched a portion of his show but here is a website that has a lot of articles you might be interested in. I have never heard of him before and don't know anything about his qualifications but I am going to read some of these articles and see what they have to say.

http://www.drperlmutter.com/

Sometimes this all gets very confusing and I wonder if DH has the right idea...eat whatever he wants and let the chips fall where they may. (no pun intended! LOL)

I can't wait to hear how your doctor appointments went.

Bmillion, I think you are doing the right thing...making baby steps toward your goal. Subtle changes are easier to accept rather than trying to change your whole lifestyle overnight. My problem is also with food. I eat healthy, but still eat too much. And I need to increase my activity level.

Shannon, maybe you could go on a vegetarian website and find some recipes that would appeal to everyone, not just the vegetarian eaters. I have no doubt that you will figure this out!
Old 09-10-2014, 04:16 PM   #53  

I'm sorry that this is going to be a quick flyby. It has been a busy day and I have Bible study tonight starting a series on Transformation and I really do not want to miss any of these classes.

The doctor's appt went so much better than I expected. He walked in and asked me how my glucose was doing and I told him honestly... when I eat low carb it is good and when I ear starchy carbs it is in the 140s. Then he got the results of my A1c and it was down to 5.9. My overall cholesterol was up by 5 pts, but still in normal range. My triglycerides were 88 and the doctor said that I had lost 17 lbs this year. My HDL were a little low, but will work at getting that higher. Don't remember how we do that, but I know it can be done. He was so very pleased with my progress and told me that I was doing a good job. I told him about me having the readings for a while below 120 and how I had to take only half (500mg) Metformin. I told him the diarrhea was just too bad when it gets below 120 and he said "OK" and smiled.

DH numbers were higher. His A1c was 7.9, up from 7.1 last time and cholesterol etc was up. He upped his Metformin to 500 mg 2x a day and upped his statin to 20 mg instead of 10.

We got our flu shots and went to Walmart to get a shingles vaccine as doc said it was cheaper at Walmart. Come to find out our insurance wouldn't cover any of the shingles vaccine so we didn't get them because they were $200 a piece.

Carol Sue I will check out the website. I finished reading the Wheat Belly book and I'm pretty much convinced that while I may not give it up 100%, I will be cutting back on it a lot. It sounds like you are planning to do the way I am planning to do. I'm going to low carb most of the time, but allow for a few other carbs from time to time. According to Wheat Belly, most people can do well if they keep carbs between 50 and 100 mg. I think I do well to keep them within 50 to 75 mg.

bmillion Sounds like you are working your plan as well as you can while moving. I have no doubt that you will be even more successful when you move into your new home. Having your DH doing it with you is a big plus.

Gonna try and take a quick nap or at least relax before I have to get ready for church.

Catch y'all tomorrow.
Old 09-10-2014, 05:21 PM   #54  

Congratulations on the 5.9 A1c, Trish! That's wonderful! You are doing a good job. Maybe now DH will see that eating the way you do could be a plus.
Old 09-10-2014, 09:22 PM   #55  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabehealthy View Post
Congratulations on the 5.9 A1c, Trish! That's wonderful! You are doing a good job. Maybe now DH will see that eating the way you do could be a plus.
Thanks Carol Sue. One can only hope that DH will see what eating lower carb can do. I will keep doing what I'm doing and hope he will eventually join me.
Old 09-11-2014, 10:33 AM   #56  

Good morning, everyone. Today is a day we should all remember those who died in the terrorist attack 13 years ago today. May they rest in peace.

My eating was way out of line yesterday. It was all healthy food, but everything looked good to me and I ended up eating over 1700 calories. I usually stay under 1500. My blood sugar stayed low through it all, but I won't be getting on the scale anytime soon! I hope to make up for some of those extra calories today.
Old 09-11-2014, 08:25 PM   #57  

Just a quick check in. Not much going on here. Just wanted to say I'm still here. Been a busy day. Been on the phone a lot today. My Daddy was really feeling so bad today that he has absolutely no energy. My sister went with him to the doctor this afternoon and they gave him medicine for stress and we are all praying it will work and help him feel better. Of course, I could probably help him because I don't think the way he eats is helping him, but no one there listens to me. It is so hard to watch someone you love going through things because of what they eat and they won't listen. So you have to step back and just be as supportive as you can knowing that what they are doing probably isn't going to help a whole lot.

I am so grateful to have a doctor who kind of understands how I have to eat. He also seems to try to help me prevent future problems rather than just put a band aid over the problem. He will be just as happy as I will when I can get off my medicine. He doesn't throw unnecessary medicine at me. To me that is a blessing.

My family doesn't push certain things either. I leave my doctor's office with a copy of the results of my blood work or any tests I have done. My family seems happy just to know that the doctor says "everything is fine". My doctor said something about my cholesterol being high. What he didn't tell me was that it was still in the normal range. I found that out because I had the results in my hand and could take the results from 3 months ago to see what I need to work on rather than thinking "oh no, my cholesterol is bad". I have better peace of mind know that I still have room to improve the LDLs and triglycerides even though they are in normal range and I also know that I really need to work at getting the HDLs up. All of my other blood work is looking good. When I see it in black and white on paper, then I know more of how to better help myself.

Sorry about venting. It was just so frustrating when I listen to the cry for help that they don't really want. So sad.

See you tomorrow.
Old 09-11-2014, 11:00 PM   #58  

I ended up getting on the scale to see how much damage my eating did yesterday and I am down 1 1/2 lbs. Go figure. I heard that sometimes a bad eating day doesn't show up for a day or two, so that might be why. This morning I woke up will DH's cold and I feel terrible. Sore throat, runny nose, coughing. I knew I would get sick because when he's sick he becomes a big baby and wants comforted, so I end up getting all his germs. Oh, well, that's what marriage is all about....sharing. LOL
Old 09-12-2014, 12:27 AM   #59  
~Being Positive~

S/C/G: 238/211/150

Height: 5'4

Carol Sue I hope you get better soon.

I have been doin good this week, yeterday I gave more than my all in zumba....my legs felt like jello, lol. I sure do hope that the scale show it on Wed. I'm shooting for 1st place in the biggest loser contest at work, I was #48 out of 84 this week losing only 0.4 lbs.
Old 09-12-2014, 09:58 AM   #60  

Carol Sue So sorry you got DH cold. Hope you will feel better soon. I read a lot on that website you shared of Dr. Pulmutter. Have you read much on there yet? I was able to go on there and read last night and with him being a neurologist and all the info he shared about why LCHR is so good for you by giving the things it helps and how it decreases our chances of certain diseases, I am totally convinced that LCHF is the only way to eat for optimal health. Now just to get myself to eat that way. I would love to have his books, but think DH was shoot me if I bought one more book. I still may get them especially the cookbook. I don't think I need his regular book, because we know how to low carb as there are so many websites that tells us how. I can even use the Swedish doctor's website for that. But I do need to learn how to make some really good tasting low carb especially if I'm ever going to interest DH in eating this way.

It is a shame that I can't get my family to eat this way, but I know how hard it has been for me. My Daddy said yesterday that he feels like he is in a fog. I thought of him when I saw the title of Grain Brain. Doctor's still push the high carb lowfat and that is the diet the doctor gave my Daddy and then they want to push a medicine to try to make him feel better while he eats high carb diet. So crazy and such a crazy roller coaster to ride on.

Did you see that Dr. Pulmutter is going to be on Dr. Oz this morning? I plan to watch it. In fact, I just may devo it as I would like for DH to see it. He might listen to a neurologist.

Caramel I've never done Zuma as I don't think I could keep up at my age. CONGRATULATIONS on the .4 lb loss and being #48. Good luck with your goals. That competition will help you reach your goal. You go girl!

One more time, I am drinking my first cup of coffee this morning with a small amount of CO. I've decided that if LCHF has so many benefits, then I need to work toward that. So I am going to go for it. I will just take 500 mg of Metformin today as I don't seem to be able to take 1000 mg with the CO. Carol Sue I tried eating eggs before bed when I took my evening Metformin and my fbs was 146 so it didn't make any difference for me. I think I just can't eat a late snack at all.

So I plan to start taking it with my last meal of the day and work at eating NO snacks at night. I am going to try to just eat 3 meals a day. I noticed on one LCHF plan I read just had plans for 3 meals and no snacks. So I don't think I have to eat more and I am also seeing LC diets saying "eat only when you are hungry". I am thinking that LCHF is a way of eating that causes you to automatically eat Intuitively. So I think we are seeing that when you take the best of certain plans like combining IF, LCHF and IF that you have a "natural and normal" way of eating. I am thinking that it is probably the way people at before we got so civilized and started having to diet and ending up on yo-yo dieting.

I feel like I am finally finding out that the way I ate as a kid was normal. The only problem I see about when I was growing up was that my Daddy didn't like anything but starchy type veggie. My Mama tried to cook healthy, but a balanced meal was meat, potatoes and corn, or peas, or carrots and once in a while she would substitue green beans, but we always had potatoes. I had an apple once in a while at school when they got a bunch of them and gave all the kids one. My Mama was a sweet eater. Breakfast was sweet rolls until I got to junior high, but by then I never ate breakfast. Even then I was pretty healthy until, I started hanging out with friends at the dive across from high school and ate junk/fast food. When I quit college and went to live with my aunt and work in Dallas, I was introduced to fresh fruits and veggies such as greens. We still ate starchy foods, but we always had fruit and some kind of veggie like greens. And I also was introduced to eating beans in place of meat and I found that I loved eating this way. She was always buying things from the health food store and trying to eat healthy and thus I learned how to eat healthier. The only thing was that I started gaining weight because I was eating too much "healthy" foods. We didn't have a lot of money so our foods were "quality" foods. When I started gaining weight, we started walking and we would walk all over Dallas. It was nothing for us to start out for a walk and end up walking for miles and miles. We had a ball because we felt good. Now I have to wonder what would have happened if we had known about LCHF. She died at 91 and had Alzheimers. If she had known about LCHF, she could have prevented that disease according to Dr. Perlmutter. She would be so amazed with the things we have learned since she died 12 yrs ago. But she sure set me on the right track to learn to be healthy. I find this all so very exciting.

Guess I better close as this has almost become a novel. LOL

Y'all have a blessed day.
Closed Thread