Old 11-05-2009, 01:25 PM   #1  
MONI

S/C/G: 257/257/160

Height: 5'4''

Default ITCHY ITCHY hands....

Oh my! My hands have been so itchy over the past month or so. For about a week they stop itching so bad and then poof they started again. I'm not sure if it is the change of weather, my sugars have been high or something else. Does this happen to anyone else? Any tips or suggestions?
Moni28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 02:21 PM   #2  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

It is one of the common problems with diabetes. We, along with the elderly, have impaired production of gamma-linolenic acid (GLA) which give us itchy skin. It's usually worse during the winter months and is aggravated by hot baths and detergents. I get it on my feet sometimes and slather on the moisturizers.
Hope this helps.
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 02:54 PM   #3  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

You might try washing your hands with zinc-pyrithione shampoo (some Head and Shoulders varieties and other dandruff shampoos - but check the label, some dandruff shampoos use a different active ingredient).

I have been having problems with a variety of skin issues, and my dermatologist recommended that I use the zinc shampoos as my face, body, and hand wash. Now it's the only soap/shampoo I use. It's even the "soap" in my bathroom soap dispenser.

For the most part, it really keeps the itching/burning (and the skin rashes) at bay, but sometimes it's not enough and I'll use a topical zinc oxide cream (I have a prescription cream for really bad flares, but I don't have ot use it very often).

Zinc oxide cream is found in the sunscreen department (in the summer), and sometimes in the first-aid section, but it's most common in diaper rash creams. The thought of diaper rash cream on my face, hands and feet seemed a bit strange - but then I noticed that the Walgreen's "skin-protectant" cream in the first aid area and their "diaper rash" cream were identical tubes with identical ingredients in different boxes (but the skin-protectant was a higher price).

Most of these creams are really greasy though, and they're white so they're very visible. But I found a clear zinc roll-on (in the sunscreen aisle) and a lotion diaper rash cream that isn't greasy (JOHNSON'S® NO MORE RASH® Diaper Rash Cream). It is stark white also, but not nearly as much like "clown make-up" of the other zinc oxide creams, and it's much more lotion-like (the others are more like Crisco).

I know I've written a book here, but I can't tell you how happy I am to find something that helps. The rashes on my face are embarassing, but the itchy hands and feet were driving me absolutely crazy. I couldn't sleep at night because my hands and feet were burning and itching so intensely. The zinc products have been a miracle for me.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 05:30 PM   #4  
Proud Y Chromosome Member

S/C/G: 285/231/under 150 (normal BMI)

Height: 5'5"

Lightbulb Ding! (The lightbulb turns on.)

Hmmm... As of late, the backs of my hands have become itchy from time to time. Sometimes it feels as if I have countless mosquito bites but without the telltale bite marks. Thanks for the good info, kaplods.
diabetic z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 06:00 PM   #5  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

If the zinc, creams, and moisturizers don't help - it could be an early symptom of diabetic neuropathy. So if nothing topical helps, talk to your doctor about it, there are medications that can slow down the nerve damage.

My husband has diabetic neuropathy in his feet and hands (a sort of pins and needles, burning, "bugs crawling" osensation, especially in his feet. In his hands it's more a problem of numbness).

Last edited by kaplods; 11-05-2009 at 06:02 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 01:17 AM   #6  
MONI

Thanks all for the suggestions. I find that Cetaphil helps too! I'll need to stock up on that.
Diabetic Z that is exactly what has been happening to me! Very itchy and then when i wash my hands in hot water it hurts badly!
Old 12-03-2009, 07:51 AM   #7  

I have been moisturizing mine with Burt's Bees Thoroughly Therapeutic Honey and Shea Butter body butter. It works wonders! I use it on my 3 year olds eczema and it stops both our itchies.
DianaG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 08:57 AM   #8  
Owned by Dixie

Height: 5'4"

Ok this is going to sound gross but I use plain 'ol crisco shortning. YUP, no smell, goes on easy and keeps the skin really nice. and the best part is it is really cheap . my skin has never looked or felt better.
L144S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 05:36 PM   #9  
MONI

hhmm i'll have to check out Burts Bee's! i ended up buying some lotion that has done wonders but still some itch. I know its from the cold weather and washing at work.

Crisco, never thought of that! It doesn't leave you overly greasy?
Thanks for the suggestions ladies!
Old 12-03-2009, 10:25 PM   #10  
Owned by Dixie

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moni28 View Post
Crisco, never thought of that! It doesn't leave you overly greasy?
suprisingly NO, you would think it would but I think it great and works ALL day and or night. hey if you have it in the house, give it a try.
L144S is offline   Reply With Quote