I'm making a birthday cake for my fiancee today and it reminded me of the birthday cake my mom used to make every year for me, that my grandma made for my mom every year growing up. I've altered it to make it even more calorie-friendly!
Raspberry Angel Food Cake
Make the Angel Food Cake
(I usually just buy the cake mix - Just add water!!)
* 1 cup cake flour
* 1 1/2 cups white sugar
* 12 egg whites
* 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
* 1 1/2 teaspoons cream of tartar
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Be sure that your 10 inch tube pan is clean and dry. Any amount of oil or residue could deflate the egg whites. Sift together the flour, and 3/4 cup of the sugar, set aside.
2. In a large bowl, whip the egg whites along with the vanilla, cream of tartar and salt, to medium stiff peaks. Gradually add the remaining sugar while continuing to whip to stiff peaks. When the egg white mixture has reached its maximum volume, fold in the sifted ingredients gradually, one third at a time. Do not overmix. Put the batter into the tube pan.
3. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes in the preheated oven, until the cake springs back when touched. Balance the tube pan upside down on the top of a bottle, to prevent decompression while cooling. When cool, run a knife around the edge of the pan and invert onto a plate.
Raspeberry Jello Filling
* 3 packages of No sugar added raspberry Jell-o
* 2-3 cups frozen raspberries
1. Make Jello-o according to package and add frozen raspberries. Refrigerate until set.
Put it all together!
1. Cut cake in half horizontally.
2. Fill hole in bottom half with raspberry jell-o filling. Cover top of bottom half with filling. Place other half of the cake back on top, fill the hole with leftover filling.
3. Cover cake with 95% fat free Cool-Whip
Makes 12 servings
Angel food cake: (according to Duncan Hines cake mix)
Calories 140, Fat 0g
Calories 10, Fat 0g
Calories 16, Fat 0g (maybe 0.2 g lol)
Optional Cool-Whip (per 3 tablespoons)
Calories 25, Fat 0.5g