Old 03-07-2009, 12:36 PM   #1  

Default Panacotta recipe?

In the new book there is a recipe that I think is called a mocha panacotta. It has yogurt and gelatin and FF half and half in the ingredients. The yogurt is put into a coffee filter to strain for an hour. Can someone please post this recipe? I moved and my book is still packed somewhere. I'd appreciate it!
KathleenP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 02:28 PM   #2  
Maintenance May 2011

S/C/G: 312/149/150

Height: 5'6"

Exclamation Coffee Panna Cotta

Coffee Panna Cotta

1 c. LF plain yogurt*
¾ tsp. unflavored gelatin
½ c. FF half-and-half
3 TBS. granular sugar substitute
1 tsp. instant coffee powder (instant espresso powder can be used for a stronger coffee flavor)
⅛ tsp. vanilla extract
  • Lightly coat 4 (6-oz.) custard cups with cooking spray
  • *Line a strainer with paper towels and set over a large bowl. Put yogurt into the strainer and let sit for 15 to 20 minutes or until slightly thickened.
  • Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, sprinkle gelatin over half-and-half; let stand for 10 minutes. Bring to a gentle simmer over medium-low heat and cook, whisking constantly, until gelatin dissolves. Add sugar substitute, coffee powder, and vanilla; continue whisking until sugar substitute dissolves. Remove from heat.
  • Using a rubber spatula, scrape yogurt into a large bowl. Immediately add half-and-half mixture and stir well to combine.
  • Divide mixture evenly among prepared custard cups. Cover and chill at least 4 hours or overnight. Serve chilled.
Makes 4 servings

Per serving: 62 calories, 1g fat, 1g saturated fat, 4g protein, 8g carbohydrate, 0g fiber, 87 mg sodium

Suitable for all Phases.

Source: The South Beach Diet Supercharged, p. 300

*MizSki note: I use FAGE Total 2% Greek Yogurt. Greek yogurt is strained and very creamy so the straining step is not needed. Using FF (0%) yogurt is not recommended. Other brands of Greek yogurt can be used such as Chobani, Trader Joe’s, etc. Greek yogurt will produce superior results in this recipe as it contains only milk/cream and active cultures as compared to other commercial brands with preservatives, gelatin, pectin, etc.

ETA: Perhaps you could substitute chocolate extract for the vanilla to make this mocha flavored? You may need more than than the ⅛ tsp. though...maybe ¼ to ½ tsp. ?

Last edited by mizski; 03-07-2009 at 02:32 PM.
mizski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 12:23 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 200/140

Height: 5'6"

I thought this had great texture but it was very sour, maybe because of the yogurt. I did use the greek yogurt.
Makaidyn is offline   Reply With Quote