Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 11-06-2006, 12:42 PM   #1  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Default Weekly Chat - November 6th - 12th

Good afternoon,

Just popping in to see how everyone is doing
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 06:55 PM   #2  
~Believe~

S/C/G: XXX/-155/140

Height: 5'3

Hi Leenie!

I'm doing good. This anti-depressant is really helping. I've just been working. Got in 5 hours overtime this week! Now I'm off for 3 days......

Have a Great Night!

Sassy_Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 10:14 PM   #3  

hi everyone

sassy glad the meds are working for you!
I'm really tired today and a bit under the weather. might go out now for a walk. a bit restless
sweet_pea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 09:30 AM   #4  
Just a few more pounds...

S/C/G: 226/206/165

Talking Lurker saying hello

Hello all,

I've been lurking around the Depression and Weight Issues area, but am finally saying hello.

I'm a 36 year old, stay-at-home mom of 3. After my second child, I was diagnosed with, what was thought to be, post pardum depression. After a visit to the "shrink", it was determined that it was clinical depression. Especially since they said the "post pardum" shouldn't have lasted so long! Also, my father suffers from depression as well and I was told that I was pre-disposed (sp?) to have depression because of him (I am so like my father, but I really didn't want this trait! ).

I never understood how someone could be sad after having a baby (I didn't have a problem after my first), but I found out full force! At one point, after the meds started working, I told the doctor I was crying! He thought this was a problem, I told him it was a good thing because it had gotten so bad, that I couldn't cry.

I was put on Effexor (same as my dad) and very happy with the results. (This was after trying about 3 other drugs!) Then I got pregnant with our third child and Effexor is not on the approved list of meds for pregnant and nursing woman. I was switched to Wellbutrin and have been doing very well.

But after having two baby's 20 months apart, I didn't get back to my sexy girl self !!! And then I found it to be a crazy cycle of I'm fat and depressed and because I'm depressed I eat -- the more I eat the fatter I get and the fatter I get the more depressed I am ! Crazy isn't it!

Well, now I've gotten my depression under control, and I am going to lose this weight. I started the Fat Smash Diet and I have lost 20 pounds so far. I hope to lose it all by Easter. I've also joined a run/walk club at a local restaurant and hope to "run" the 5K there for St. Patrick's Day!

Look forward to chatting and supporting each other!

Take care,
Bonnie Jean
Mommyof3Spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 01:41 PM   #5  
Free-thinker

Height: 5'9"

My doctor put me on Cymbalta today. Anyone had any experience with this? I hope it works better than the Effexor. I was on 75mg of that, and they have me on 30mg of Cymbalta, then up to 60mg once the initial smaller dose is over. I hope it works. I'm tired of feeling mentally tired. :P
BlessedBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 04:43 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 209/179/160

Height: 5'3"

good afternoon gang

as usual, I'm running.

Welcome Mommyof3Spuds - it's nice to meet ya! I love your signature line .... I have a nephew in law that just joined the Army - and yes - they are heroes!!!!

Hey BlessedBe - it's great to see ya here. Hopefully someone will have some experience with Cymbalta. I just answered your pm :-)

Hey Sweetpea - did you get to take that walk? did it help? sure hope so

Hey SassyChick - enjoy your little break from work. So glad you are feeling better!

Hey Leenie - are ya busy girlie? ;-) hope all is well

hope everybody has a great day!
hugs & blessings,
Cathy
cathyxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 06:22 PM   #7  
prepare for the BEST time

hey goils.....hope all is well, as usual NJ has yucky weather, but it's not cold yet. I messed up my back yesterday, moving this 150+ lb. PLANT inside....it's the size of a small car,(saddleleaf philadendren) I think the neighbor's cat was hiding in there, or a few chipmunks.....

so i'm whiney and sore today, and I learned the hard way that taking 3 Alieve on an empty stomach will make you barf.

BBe, my doc. had offered me Cymbalta last year, (i was dx'd with reactive depression that escalated to major depression lasting almost 3 years) i was incapacitated with a broken shoulder and nose after an accident.....7-8 weeks of heavy doses of pain meds and house confinement made me feel worse than I looked (they don't set the shoulder). I declined, but she said many have good success with it.

maybe you want to keep a daily log to see how you feel on it as opposed to the Effexxor? another pro-active approach is to do ONE POSITIVE THING for yourself every day, even if it's just 5 mins. of exercise walking or a flight of stairs. good luck, hope you are feeling better.

CATHY, are you still doing the AM routine?
marbleflys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 09:18 PM   #8  
Free-thinker

Marbleflys:
I do at least 20 minutes a day of my bellydancing video, more if I don't get winded too fast or start hurting. My problem now is I need to start eating more, so my body stops storing fat. :P
Old 11-08-2006, 06:05 AM   #9  

hi everyone

yes cathy i did go for my walk. it wasn't a long one but i do enjoy getting out for a walk. today i think i overdid it. my muscles feel sore.

went out for lunch today and made a new friend very happy about that. still looking for a dancing partner though. finding a man that can dance is not easy!!! still looking looking. i have an older man (like 35 yrs older than me) i dance with sometimes but he's out on injury and he only likes doing some of the dances

my mood is ok, just tired and the usual stuff.

BonnieJean - welcome to our thread

BlessedBe - sorry cymbalta isn't available in NZ so i can't help with that. you can ask your doctor about it or the chemist. failing that you can go to remedyfind.com and read feedback from patients who have used it. A bellydancing video sounds interesting - i;ve never seen that!

Cathy - you must be getting fit with all the running rofl. take care of yourself

marble, leenie and anyone else i missed. have a great day
sweet_pea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 08:52 AM   #10  

Good Morning All!

Thank you for the welcome! And Cathy -- you are the first person to say something about my signature! I must confess, I stole it from a friend, but we both are married to heros. And my God keep your nephew safe. Where is he stationed and do you know what he does? The Army is small and we tend to cross paths.

I walked for 35 minutes last night and am feeling pretty good -- best part, it seems that my asthma won't be bothered by the exercise! That's another plus for losing weight!

Take care,
Bonnie Jean
Old 11-08-2006, 11:05 AM   #11  
prepare for the BEST time

OK, you guys.....you are SHAMING me into starting back exercising, I've done NOTHING except take the stairs at work and house stuff since May....turthfully I'm missing it and need to make time. it's not an option, it's a necessity, especially the stretching/pilates....which I can do before bed.

it is POURING RAIN here, I may need a kayak to get home tonight, but it's wierd warm weather....which means my office is HOT and STUFFY!
marbleflys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 11:16 AM   #12  

Good morning gang

Marbles – I want to answer your question first. No I have NOT been doing my AM routine *hanging my sad little head* I may need you to start kicking my butt But I really do have a long list of excuses – wanna hear them

It all started with Hurricane Rita – yea I know that was well over a year ago – sad huh – but life was absolutely nuts after that and I just could not get back into my routine….well actually there was no routine, for months we just did what we had to do each day.

I work for a general contractor and “life” as we know it may never been the same. We were swamped and continue to be swamped with the work we need to do. We may never get to it all haha

Then it has been just one crazy thing after the other.

I had 9 dentist appts in 4 weeks to fix one broken tooth after the other.

We had a fire at work and had to move across the street, gut our office, redo the whole thing, and then move back in. This was really trying for me in the midst of everything else.

My boss’s dad’s cancer came back and he was very sick for a few months and then passed away.

One of their grandbabies just had to have open heart surgery.

I started doing the books for one of the guys that use to work here. So now I’m doing the books for 4 places including the office I work at and my dear hubby’s books.

2 weeks ago we had 18 inches of rain in one night and yep you guessed it, lots of houses flooded again and the calls and repairs…..well you get the idea

I’ve taken two trips with my mom to Branson, MO and San Marcos, TX even tho I really didn’t have the time – but wanted to spend the time with my mom.

In the meantime, we still work with the youth at church and teach Sunday School, and have our 22 and 18 year old sons at home, along with all their friends.

I spend a lot of my computer time working on thyroid stuff so I’m really not at 3fc as much as I use to be.

Those are just the things on the top of my head. I know there were more I just can’t remember them at the moment. I hit the floor running before 6 am and usually get to bed anywhere from 10:30 to 12 pm. I know I would have more energy and feel better if I were exercising and it constantly stresses me that I’m not. I need it – you know I need it. At times I will get back to walking for a few days, and then something else seems to fall in my lap and it gets me off track. I don’t know Marbles – maybe it’s just not a priority for me at this point. I just don’t know anymore.

Now, looking back over what I just typed, I’m thinking that I must be the Queen of trying to Justify why I’m not exercising (this is the longest message I've typed in ages).

So how bout you…. are you exercising as much?

I’m glad you’re back here posting!
hugs,
Cathy
Old 11-08-2006, 11:27 AM   #13  

BlessedBe - congrats on the 20 minutes a day of bellydancing! you like it? are you saying you don't eat very many calories a day? are you just not hungry?

Sweetpea - so glad you made a new friend! what kind of dancing do you do? I wish I was getting fit with all this running around, but as you know, it just doesn't work like that. Sure wish it did tho!!!!

Hey Bonnie - congrats on the 35 minute walk! awesome! I will get the details about my nephew to pass along to you, but right now he is in basic training - just starting up ya know. Is your dear hubby in the Army?

Hey Marbles - I see you were answering my exercise question while I was typing out my long list of excuses about mine I hope your rain lets up soon and you can get home safely!

Where in the world is Leenie and Liz and Cin and some of the rest of our gang??? what is going on girls?

hope everybody has a blessed day
hugs,
Cathy
Old 11-08-2006, 11:43 AM   #14  
Free-thinker

cathyxxx-
It's really fun. Though I would like it better if a had a smaller booty to look better doing it. :P But hopefully that will come soon enough. It's harder then it looks though. And I'm going to try Tai-Chi too, which is also harder then it looks. And sometimes I feel hungry, just not very hungry. Plus like I said, I'm a bit lazy and I don't know how to cook very well. But I'm going to try a few things and see what happens.
Old 11-08-2006, 12:18 PM   #15  

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathyxxx View Post
Hey Bonnie - congrats on the 35 minute walk! awesome! I will get the details about my nephew to pass along to you, but right now he is in basic training - just starting up ya know. Is your dear hubby in the Army?
Yes, DH is in the Army. Bizarre being at a Naval Air Station and being an Army family. I explain like this -- Being Army living with the Navy is like trying to speak English in England! It's close, but sometimes just not the same!

Basic training! I'm sure he will leave a different person -- if you can find out his MOS I can tell you if he will be headed here for training. We get the privates right out of basic training.

Take care,
Bonnie Jean