Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 06-06-2006, 07:12 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 266/225/130

Height: 5'1"

Exclamation Anyone with Generalized Anxiety Disorder/Panic, etc.

Hi. I have been coming to 3FC for years and I love it here. I was just wondering if anyone out there deal with Anxitey. I have anxiety problems for about 10 years. Recently they have been worse because I am in the process of building/buying a house and I worried about that and worried about affording the higher mortgage. I worry about most everything though.

I have succeeded in losing 20 pounds this year, but sometimes my anxiety causes me to want to eat more which is ironic since a lot of my anxiety has to do with my health. I still need to lose about 100 pounds.

Melody
MelodyAM75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 07:29 PM   #2  

i take paxil for anxiety and depression. been taking it for 3 or 4 years now. i used to worry about all kinds of things and things i thought would happen but didnt. the medicine has really made a diffence in my life!
toofatforu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 08:05 AM   #3  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Oh yeah, anxious nelly here. I can't tell you the amount of sleep I lost when I was planning my DH's 50th birthday party.... I felt so stupid b/c I knew it was just me being anxious/worried but the feelings were oh so real.

I don't take anything for it but I'm thinking of going back to my doc and getting something. I always feel on pins and needles.
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 10:11 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Social anxiety with reactive depressive episodes. Paxil for me too. I actually only take 1/2 tab evey night now and sleep pretty well. Well .... I do alright until DS crashes DH's truck Even that is going better than it could have.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 10:42 AM   #5  
Chick in Progress

S/C/G: 160/166/140

Height: 5' 6 1/2"

Count me in as well. I have severe anxiety with situational depression. With my fiance gone right now, trying to plan a wedding and being in the military stationed in Germany by myself, the episodes have become more interuptive in my life. Sleep was not even a word in my vocabulary for about 2 months. Could you imagine the face I was walking around with? Ugh. Getting better slowly though. Meditation and thoughts of the future get me through today. Living one day at a time, but in my time.
ChickySarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 02:07 PM   #6  

Height: 5'6"

Yeppers, add me too!
I started taking paxil about two or three years ago. It helps me to be able to leave the house now and it quiets my head down at night, but I still worry about a lot of things. I'm suppose to take 20mg a day, but I usually only take 10mg. I find when I take the 20mg consecutively I sleep almost continuously. Yes the anxiety was gone, but so was my whole life! I was hinting to my dr about something else that would help a little more with the depression and all he suggested was upping my dose of paxil But at least with the paxil I'm able to live a little instead of being constantly paralyzed with fear.

Take care,
K
buddly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 02:25 PM   #7  
Angela

S/C/G: 275/260/150?

hi there, me too!

I take Lexapro and Klonopin. The Klonopin is what works for me. I typically take it at night, otherwise I wouldn't sleep. Sometimes I have to take it during the day - especially if I'm in what I consider to be a stressfull situation, which could be just about anything in my personal life.

Professionally, I'm in my element, cool as a cucumber... don't ever have to take meds during the day. Going to bed at night is hard for me. Hate to have to slow down, etc.

Just moved into a new house, love it and hate the boxes at the same time. I had some weird episode of anxiety for a couple of days but it eventually passed. I just wait it out usually, take a walk, take a bath, play with my nephews, let my wife hold me if I can sit still long enough... just depends.

Good luck to you and you are NOT alone!
CJsPrincess816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 03:14 PM   #8  

Me Too!

I suffer from anxiety and depression. I talk many drugs for the two of them (effexor and welbutron in the morning; tryptaphan, clonozapan and zyprexa at night; atavan as needed).

I seem to go in spurts with the atavan (and the increased anxiety). I will have maybe two weeks of no uncontrolable panic attacks and then all of a sudden I am just overcome by them.

I too have trouble going to sleep. I have always been one who didn't want to sleep because I was afraid I would miss something so I know that is part of it. My son had pneumonia and so was up every four hours to give him meds. After he got better I got pneumonia. I too had to have meds regularly so I would stay up later so I could take the meds and maybe sleep through the rest of the night. It is really taking a concerted effort to get back into a regular sleep pattern because I know that is a big component.

As for what sets me off - it varies. It can be anything from something my husband says going into an uncertain situation.
SuzanneGettingSkinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 05:42 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 266/225/130

Height: 5'1"

Hi. I am glad to know that I am not the only one... I am not on medication right now, but I think I am going to go back to my doctor and try meds again. I have taken Paxil and Lexapro in the past. I gained weight with Paxil and had headaches with Lexapro. I think I would like to try Wellbutrin since it causes weight loss instead. I hate living with anxiety. It overshadows every aspect of my life.
MelodyAM75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 05:44 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 228/215/160

Height: 5 ft 5

Hi there,

i have anxiety, and sometimes, like the period i'm going through right now,
i'm depressed too, you aren't alone,
YEAH it makes losing weight harder.
God Bless you
campbellredhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 11:44 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 232 just getting started on it

MEEEEEEEEEE TOOOOOOOOO! I haven't had anxiety in over two years and now it has just crept up on me in the past two weeks. Chest pains, snapping at everyone, and scattered thoughts. Sleep is my only refuge and even that is disturbed with bad dreams. I'm trying to keep my cool and do what I can to manage it until the 20th when I go to the Doctor. I'm not on any meds right now and I know it's bad but I have had to at least drink a glass of wine to take the edge off everyday this week. Not good for the diet but good for my family to handle me LOL! Definetly DON"T feel alone in this. I am so glad that I have people to talk to about this now. It's kinda hard to discuss this with someone who has never experienced it! Hope you feel better too Melody!
not2fat2bpretty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 08:37 PM   #12  

I've had bad anxiety for the last couple years. I'm taking lexapro now and it helps. I was taking Klonopin for a while but weaned myself off because I was afraid of getting addicted to it.

I still have trouble sleep sometimes. Last night I woke up at 3am in a panic and took 4 valiums. I was still so groggy when I got up for work.

Anxiety is hard. It's a constant battle.
Valerie Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 09:53 PM   #13  
Yummy Mummy in the Making

Anxiety is something I've been dealing with for a very long time. My mind would often get overwhelmed with racing thoughts about what could go wrong - it gets especially bad when I have big things coming up at school and it was horrendous when I was planning my wedding! When I would lie in bed wanting to go to sleep, DH would be snoring next to me and I would toss and turn, not being able to get the rest that I needed. I would tell myself that my worries were silly, that i needed to get over them, but it never really worked.

I eventually decided enough was enough and I went to a psych for a consultation. I ended up going on Lexapro - 10 mg daily - and it has done wonders for me, even after taking it for only two months. My mind feels a lot quieter and I can actually focus on things like work and my hobbies without getting bogged down with worry. Anxiety with me is definitely a constant battle. It will never completely go away, but I'm happy that I have found something to help me handle it better.

You're definitely not the only one.
crk05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 10:33 PM   #14  
CURVY VIXEN

S/C/G: 205/194/128

Height: 5'2''

Hi.. add me to the group. Horrible anxiety, with panic attacks, generalized anxiety disorder along with low grade depression.... I have had wonderful periods in my life where I was anxiety free.. some on meds.. other times not.. I have to say zoloft did wonders for me but it stopped working...
right now i'm on lexapro and wellbutrin. I feel more depressed lately than having anxiety... it is a constant battle... the meds add weight.. but I think it is what you put in your mouth that matters..
purplepansy912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 08:42 PM   #15  

Height: 5'3

I have anxiety disorder and also OCD but I don't take anything for it..(though the doctor had prescribed Zoloft and Lorazepam..I only took these for a month but I just didn't want to become dependant on it).
gremlina is offline   Reply With Quote