Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 01-26-2006, 02:22 PM   #1  

Default I haven't been around much............

Friends, it has been a rough time here.

You see, for the past months we've known our doggy, Goldie, has been dealing with arthritis and he is gradually going blind. About three weeks ago, we noticed that he has been limping far more, so we put him on aspirin. It just got progressively worse.

Yesterday, R took him to the vet. After X-rays, there is a spot on one bone and the arthritis is really bad. We had discussed beforehand our wishes, so now he is on a pain killer and glucosimine(sp?). We will not go through heroic measures to keep him alive only to have the rest of his life spent looking out on the fields and meadows that were once his kingdom. Oh, how he loved to run and explore. In two weeks, thev vet will X-ray the spot again. He feels that by then, he will be able to make a diagnosis and we then can make a decision.

This is going to be a very difficult two weeks. I've bawled myself sick.

The only funny part of this all was that he was given a very strong pain killer for the X-ray and he was completely stoned. He layed there and drooled and looked completely out of it. He didn't eat his supper and my DD said that maybe later he'd get the munchies

I know that all pet lovers know exactly what we're going through so at least I'm not feeling alone. Say a prayer if you are so inclined for us and that Goldies life will be painless.
Tippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 02:52 PM   #2  

Height: 5"4

I usually don't post here, but I saw this post in the new ones and felt that I had to respond. I am so sorry about Goldie. I know what it is like to love your pet. Coco is part of our family and I don't know what I'd do without her.
I'm sure Goldie knows how much he is loved though, and I'm sure he has brought a lot of happiness to your family. I'll say a prayer for you and Goldie
cinnamonspice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 03:46 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

I feel for you. Our Golden Retriever got worse and worse and in the end, she could no longer stand or walk. She was deaf, and didn't see well, but it was her hips that didn't hold up. It was very hard, but we had her put down. She was 15 1/2 years old and had lived a good life. Now we have a new black lab, but he is no now way her replacement.
Best of luck.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 07:32 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 209/179/160

Height: 5'3"

hey tippy
I am so very sorry to hear about Goldie!
I hope you know that I will be praying for you and Roger and Goldie!
Of course you know I'm sending you great big hugs too!
hugs & prayers,
Cathy
cathyxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 08:04 PM   #5  
Lifelong Journey Member

Height: 5' 6"

Tippy, I'm praying for you and your Goldie. My Goldie is also on Gloucosamine and has worked wonders - for both her and my Alaskan Husky. I really feel your pain and pray that the meds help your doggie. They are the best gift to humans and their suffering is horrible to watch.
Marie
Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 10:08 PM   #6  

Thinking of you Tippy

As long as your pain lasts my thoughts are with you.

(((((((((((((TIPPY))))))))))

Liz
liz321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 07:32 AM   #7  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Oh Tippy, I'm so sorry little Goldie is in distress. I look at my Susie at 11 years young and tears come to my eyes just thinking she has only a few years left She is healthy but we know as they get older their health deterorates fast.

Just know that your doing the best you can to make Goldie comfortable and when the time is near, you'll know.

Hug and kisses to you my dear friend, I'm here if you need me.

psssssst.... hope you had chocolate for Goldie when the meds wore off lol
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 02:06 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 209/179/160

Height: 5'3"

Hey Tip - I've been thinking about you and wanted to check and see how ya'll are doing? soooooooooo....how are things going and how are you doing? please post when you can.
hugs & prayers,
Cathy
cathyxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 02:24 PM   #9  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Ditto's.... whats up woman? we miss you.
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 04:31 PM   #10  

I'm sitting here waiting for my hair dye to process. Now eveyone knows I hide my grey!

Goldie is doing very well. His limp is better and he actually runs a bit when he is outside. After consulting with the vet, we've decided to continue with him on the pain killer and glucosimine for awhile. If the spot on his bone is, indeed, cancer, we know the prognosis . We've also decided not to have him X rayed for awhile because the whole process of going to the vet and getting one is so awful stressful for him. Poor thing gets petrified and that might be because he was abused before we got him. He wags his tail when we're with him in the kitchen and seems relatively happy. He can no longer go running through the fields and getting into mischief, but his life isn't terrible either.

R and I are taking it one day at a time. We've talked about his future and did our decision making. Life isn't fair!

No other news. Still plodding through the church work. Will be glad when that's over. It will be in three months and we're counting the days. I think we're burned out.
Tippy is offline   Reply With Quote