Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 07-21-2005, 07:59 AM   #1  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Red face Thursday Chat - July 21st

Good Morning,

How is everyone today ?

I tell yah, last night I ate a few carrots b/4 bed and boy did I get a tummy ache this morning (well in the middle of the night). I just can not eat anything before bed, it doesn not agree with me. THIS IS A GOOD THING

Whatzzzzzzzzzzup ?
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 09:49 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 209/179/160

Height: 5'3"

good morning gang!

Leenie - golly seems like carrots would be good for you anytime of the day huh! like you said tho - it might be a good thing to know that anything you eat before bed is not gonna settle well Hey - I think I saw that magazine you mentioned. I'm gonna have to grab it too. hugs

SueMarie - I hope everything works out for you on Saturday. Sounds like you have some really nice treatment planned for those guys - assuming they show up! if they don't - oh boy - they better watch out.

Hope everybody has a great day and is able to stay cool!

hugs,
cathy
cathyxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 09:54 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 209/179/160

Height: 5'3"

MMarie - you said.....

“Cathy, thanks for the PM. You're going to shake your head, but I stopped my thyroid med (synthroide and with dr. permission) since it wasn't doing much for the depression and I was still in a low/normal range without it. I'm hoping it will jump start my weight loss. I can't keep exercising daily and eat 1300 calories and not lose weight. It's got to give sometime.”

Marie – you are right, I’m shaking my head but it’s only bec I’m concerned about you. Yes synthroid can cause weight gain – it is a side effect of it. It can also cause high blood pressure (don’t know if you problems with that or not) – but girlie the reason the synthroid wasn’t helping much with your depression is bec Synthroid is a T4 product only. You need T3 for your depression (and other thyroid symptoms)! You would either need a doctor to add Cytomel (T3) to your Synthroid, or you would need to find a doctor that would simply prescribe Armour Thyroid (which is natural, and no side effects). It makes much more since to me to take one natural prescription with no side effects, then to take two synthetic prescriptions with possible side effects, but it works for some people.

I know of several people that were diagnosed with bipolar, who are doing well on the correct dosage of Armour Thyroid (the dosage they needed to get their Free T3 levels in the upper range). They only take Armour now – no other meds to treat their bipolar! The correct thyroid treatment can be a MIRACLE in someone’s life! I know this first hand and many times over!!!

Also, I was the same way as you about the weight loss – many here can even tell you how I struggled before getting on the right dosage of Armour. I ate around 1200 calories a day, journaled everything I put in my mouth, drank the water, exercised and nothing - zilch. If the scale moved at all it would only move upwards. It was awful!!!!! I drove one sweet WW leader crazy with trying to help me figure out the problem. I went for 5 months and could not lose weight – that was bec I had an untreated thyroid problem. As you can see I am now losing weight and feeling good. I only dealt with a little depression (well enough for 3 different doctors to offer to write me a prescription for anti depressants) but all of that is so much better! I feel like I have my life back.

Again, I don’t mean to bug you with this stuff – I just feel obligated to share what I know Marie – and I am only trying to help - I want you feeling well. Of course, you will do what you feel is best for you – just maybe keep the things I have shared in mind. You know I am here anytime you might want to talk about any of this.

And wow a 3 day cruise! That is gonna be so much fun! I’ve never been on a cruise but I wish you well in staying on your diet! I here there is wonderful food everywhere on those cruises!

hugs,
cathy
cathyxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 10:36 AM   #4  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

Morning Ladies:
I'm not fully caffienated b/c altho dh asked for skim in my coffee they gave him half and half so I drank 1/4 of my iced coffee
MMarie the cruise sounds great!
Suemarie I hate to say it don't be too nice b/c at least out here if you're too nice contracters walk on you I wouldn't mind some bbq tho
Hey Cathy and Leenie
Last night I decided to get rid of a toxic friend. he's been calling for days literally and i figured he wanted to hang out with us. . .No actually he just wants to use our apt as a hotel while he goes to a wedding so he doesn't have to be sober :P we haven't seen him in a year and I'm going to tell him we're going to be away that weekend
I'm really ticked off. Why is it that when you're a nice person people think they can use you?
anyway, DH and I are going down the shore tonight to (ready for this) Get a Rowboat. Then we're going to go out to dinner.
bbiab
Kierie
KO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 10:53 AM   #5  
prepare for the BEST time

hmmm. rowing on Lake Hopatcong? Perhaps some fishing (oh YUCK)! we know you're from Jersey because you say "down the shore".....(yeah, where I used to spend all summer as a teenager in a size 5 white bikini....oh do I miss my youth!).

OK chickies, I made an important decision last night......I will no longer lie to myself! ( I think I'm really coming out of my depression now). I'm going to stop whining and start doing...(maybe I'll put that in my signature too to remind me). Like Forest Gump once said "SH%^ Happens" even to nice people like me.

BBL have a GREAT DAY EVERYONE! You guys are the best!
marbleflys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 10:59 AM   #6  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

Hey Marb!
thats fantastic, and thats how I know i'm coming out too.
as for Lake Hopatcong. . .we're probably going to Spruce Run (in North Jersey dun dun duuuun) Next weekend so Bug spray and Sunscreen will be The MO
you could also say what I sometimes say when I'm tired of having a sewer mouth
Feces Doth Occur!
a big hug and a smooch for you lady and Hope that we all get to a size 5 bikini!
Old 07-21-2005, 11:11 AM   #7  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

One More Thing!
Last night While I was really upset I wanted to eat I walked to the fridge 3 times and I walked OUT OF THE KITCHEN!
That never happens!
Old 07-21-2005, 11:36 AM   #8  
prepare for the BEST time

the size 5 was 30 years ago......but I had a very small chest.

see? you can do this! here is something else to chuckle about: R-U, RAH-RAH!! R-U RAH-RAH!! UU-RAH, UU-RAH, Rutgers RAH!!!!

I had S*X once at Spruce Run.... but I can't remember his name, it was some old boyfriend......
marbleflys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 01:49 PM   #9  
Lifelong Journey Member

Height: 5' 6"

You guys are funny. I like feces doth occur. It sure does sometimes. Kierie, way to go on not having anything to eat on those three trips to the fridge. That is awesome. Marble, thanks for making me laugh and remember the good old days when I thought 130 pounds was fat. What an idiot I was. Leenie, sorry about your tummy ache. It is good to know that you can't sleep on a full stomach. I'm a little the opposite - I can't sleep if my stomach is growling.

Cathy, I really appreciate all of the info. I have the PM and am going to bring it to my psychiatrist and ask her about it. I never intended to give up - I just don't want to take synthroid when it's not doing beans. I had been on Cytomel but switched drs. and they switched meds. I can't remember how I felt back then - I'll have to think about it. Anyway, I have your info and plan to attack it in Sept when my psychiatrist returns from sabbatical.

Well it is time for me to wash clothes and get ready to pack. I am so excited I'm almost ready to pee my pants. No, really I just have to go to the little girl's room. Be back later.
Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 03:47 PM   #10  

Leenie - I think most people can have trouble digesting raw carrots, especially at night. Especially if you haven't chewed them down to a pulp.

Marble - I have never worn a size 5 in anything in my life. And I had no chest either. Ah, the good (?) old days when we could mess around and didn't even remember their names. I've turned into such a sensible old prude. Glad you're feeling more positive. I'm also trying to get past the emotional fallout left by my poor misguided xidiot.

KO - I know what you mean about not letting the fridge lure us into indulging. I've been having the same temptations at the great coffee break snax at my conference. (Abstinence is starting to wear a little thin - unlike me).

It's actually cold here in Calgary today! (My skinny colleague has been freezing all week.) And I hear the heat wave at home has broken or is about to break. I just hope it stays nice enough to enjoy my next three weeks without work. This semi-retirement thing really rocks. Until I run out of money...

Carla in Cowtown
carla49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 04:45 PM   #11  

Height: 5'6"

Good afternoon ladies
I'm all mixed up on my days now as dh was home for Tuesday and that made it feel like Saturday. Anyway he left again Wednesday and hopefully will be back home for some of the weekend.
Finally haveing a nice day. Sunshine and a bit of a breeze to keep the bugs away. Maybe April and I can dry out a bit I thought that was so neat to find someone from the same town on line.
My girls are 17,15 and 13. My 17 year old has been diagnosed with poly cystic ovarian syndrome, we should have her on a diabetic type diet to help her control her weight. Which of course would help me as well. (not that we are diabetic)
My mom went to her dr and got put on a higher dose of effexor and told her about me and my paxil and how the 10mg doesn't seem to be enough but 20mg knocks me out. Her dr said I need a different med and that paxil is a really old one and there are better ones out there now. She said the depression is easy to treat its the anxiety and ocd thats harder. Well I found since starting the paxil my anxiety is down a bit and I don't have to check things constantly, but the depression still gets to me. So I guess as soon as I can get the courage up I'll have to phone and make an appointment and see my dr again. I haven't had to many side effects on paxil and I've been scared to try anything else as I've seen a small improvement.
Sorry for rambling on, I'm a bit brain dead today (only today?? )
Have a great day everyone. K
buddly is offline   Reply With Quote