Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 03-22-2018, 05:17 PM   #1  
Warrior Princess

Default Zoloft Woes

This medication works miracles for my anxiety and panic disorder that I've been dealing with since 2008. I've been on Zoloft for a year but my weight has gone up quite a bit even though I go to the gym 5 days a week. I used to think weight gain from anti-depressants was BS but I'm a believer now. So, I'm currently on 75mgs but felt just as good on 50mgs so I'm going to cut back and see if that helps. Has ANYONE been able to lose while still on these meds? I don't want to quit taking them (because they work) but I can't let my weight gain get any worse. Does a higher dose mean more weight gain or does it not really matter? Any advice would be great. No, I'm not eating more - trust me. If anything I've been more cautious with food over paranoia of exactly this happening since I started taking them. :/

Last edited by novangel; 03-22-2018 at 05:18 PM.
novangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 02:59 PM   #2  
Warrior Princess

Anyone?

I'm on day 2 of 50mgs. I noticed the weight I've gained feels more like water bloat and not so much actual fat if that makes sense. Now sure why the meds would do that. I'm hoping with the decrease it will help a bit.
Old 03-25-2018, 09:44 PM   #3  
Don't Stop Believing!!!!

S/C/G: 222/Ticker/150

Height: 5'5 1/2

I am on 100mg and my doctor feels that this is possibly some of the cause of my weight gain. My issue is that I can only take specific medication for my anxiety due to my seizure disorder.
My doctor put me on a weight loss medication to help boost me in y weight loss and is trying to lower my medication and possibly change it if she can find something she thinks will help.

So I know your pain!!!!
donijo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 07:48 AM   #4  

I used to be relatively skinny when I was a teenager but as soon as I started taking anti-depressants, my body just kept growing and growing and growing. At the moment, I am taking Zoloft but I am slowly weaning myself off these medicines because I have put on so much weight (11 kilos). I find that nature is a better healer than any of these drugs so that's why every single day, I go to the park for one hour and write in my journal. My depression and complaints get released onto the pages of my journal and I find this approach is far better than taking meds. Please consult your doctor.

Last edited by Jaguar89; 03-27-2018 at 07:49 AM.
Jaguar89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 06:27 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 210/196/163

Height: 5' 8''

Hey novangel, I just saw your thread... Hope you're doing okay

Just wanted to say that I feel what you're going through... I've been on 100 mg Sertraline ( generic zoloft) for about 6 months now, after a few months of probably the worst episode of depression I ever dealt with. I am feeling significantly better, but not great, and it's tricky, because there is really no way of knowing for sure how much of the improvement is down to the pills and how much is just me getting out of "one of those phases". Anyway, I've certainly had recurring bouts of depression for a long time, and yoyo-d with my weight as long as i can remember.

I had a quite successful few months of weight loss about a year ago, then it all came back with comfort eating and binging once the depression pulled me down. When i started feeling better after starting the pills, I hoped that it would be easier to get my eating back under control and lose the weight again, but instead, i just kept putting on and on, and now I'm exactly where i was at my absolute heaviest... It feels very discouraging, because it's like all the work i did last year was completely pointless

Unlike you, I know that I eat too much though... But I find that i am hungry all the time and have constant cravings, making it very difficult to try and lose weight... and I have zero motivation or energy for exercise. I usually manage a few days of healthy eating, then i just binge of 5000 calories worth of junk food. But also, normally I lose weight pretty fast once I start eating healthily, now I seem to have no moral boosting quick change, so I guess maybe I just get discouraged and give up...

I guess I find it difficult to tell if it's the pills or the still underlying depression that are causing this. Also, I don't dare stopping or lowering the dose just yet, as i feel that going back down mentally would put a lot of things in my life at risk...

So yeah... Not sure if any this is helpful, I just went on a personal ramble there... But one thing i heard is that zoloft can make people retain water, so that could be contributing to your issues. Not sure how reliable this information is, but google some signs of water weight, and perhaps try some mild herbal diuretics if you think that could be the cause

All in all, i would still take having to deal with weight issues, horrible as they are, over dealing with full-on, disabling depression...

Last edited by flying_unipig; 04-05-2018 at 06:43 AM.
flying_unipig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 07:42 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 182/182/135

Height: 5'4

I totally get how you feel, I am on Sertraline like flying_unipig. I have been taking it for about 1 month now and I have entered a big exercise phase (nothing over the top, but for me big) I have also been a lot more conscious about what I am eating. But if anything I have gained weight. only a couple of kilos but I am aware of it. I am also not working bout the moment and my previous job required me to stand on my feet all day so I think I am now lacking in that situation as I spend most of the waking day sitting down... at home...alone. So I spend alot of time in my head... as you fellow anxiety sufferers know, its like being alone with your tormentor, heavens knows what it would be like without the Sertraline... You manage to sort one issue and another comes up to get at you.
vanillagilberte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 01:15 PM   #7  
Warrior Princess

Thanks for the replies, I'm down to 50mgs and doing fine, the 75 had me sleeping on the sofa way too much for 3 months. I have some more energy now. Not a ton but better.

100% YES to the mention of water weight! That's how it feels, not like fat gain but lots of water. What can I do to flush?? Is it even possible to combat this when I have to take the Zoloft everyday?

I'll take weight issues over anxiety/depression any day too but the extra bloat makes me unhappy. Can't win! Lol

ETA: I'll ask my Psych on the 22nd about diuretics and I guess I need to start drinking lots more water. Any other ideas will be welcomed.

Last edited by novangel; 05-01-2018 at 01:18 PM.
Old 05-01-2018, 01:20 PM   #8  
Warrior Princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying_unipig View Post
Hey novangel, I just saw your thread... Hope you're doing okay

Just wanted to say that I feel what you're going through... I've been on 100 mg Sertraline ( generic zoloft) for about 6 months now, after a few months of probably the worst episode of depression I ever dealt with. I am feeling significantly better, but not great, and it's tricky, because there is really no way of knowing for sure how much of the improvement is down to the pills and how much is just me getting out of "one of those phases". Anyway, I've certainly had recurring bouts of depression for a long time, and yoyo-d with my weight as long as i can remember.

I had a quite successful few months of weight loss about a year ago, then it all came back with comfort eating and binging once the depression pulled me down. When i started feeling better after starting the pills, I hoped that it would be easier to get my eating back under control and lose the weight again, but instead, i just kept putting on and on, and now I'm exactly where i was at my absolute heaviest... It feels very discouraging, because it's like all the work i did last year was completely pointless

Unlike you, I know that I eat too much though... But I find that i am hungry all the time and have constant cravings, making it very difficult to try and lose weight... and I have zero motivation or energy for exercise. I usually manage a few days of healthy eating, then i just binge of 5000 calories worth of junk food. But also, normally I lose weight pretty fast once I start eating healthily, now I seem to have no moral boosting quick change, so I guess maybe I just get discouraged and give up...

I guess I find it difficult to tell if it's the pills or the still underlying depression that are causing this. Also, I don't dare stopping or lowering the dose just yet, as i feel that going back down mentally would put a lot of things in my life at risk...

So yeah... Not sure if any this is helpful, I just went on a personal ramble there... But one thing i heard is that zoloft can make people retain water, so that could be contributing to your issues. Not sure how reliable this information is, but google some signs of water weight, and perhaps try some mild herbal diuretics if you think that could be the cause

All in all, i would still take having to deal with weight issues, horrible as they are, over dealing with full-on, disabling depression...
My depression was horrific. That's the only way I could describe it. Several years prior it was debilitating panic attacks. I've had a very rough decade but here's to hoping the rest of my life is peaceful..and yours too. 💙💙