Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Closed Thread

Old 09-21-2002, 03:05 PM   #16  

Angry

Hi Michelle, I found your information on Splenda just as interesting. I have never heard of that either. But I have a friend that suffers from dizzy spells and she drinks a lot of diet pop also. But I don't know which ones have the splenda in them. But she is such a fan of Splenda that I don't think she would take kindly to this info. She uses it in lots of things, and loves it. Doesn't like the other sweeteners. So you see the problem.
As to the memory thing I have to say that I know other woman who take depression med. so I started watching and listening to see if they were haveing trouble too. It didn't take long to see there was a pattern there. That was what gave me the idea to try stopping it. However I would like to say that there are times in our lives when we need help and we need to take med. that will help us. It is also good to have help in sorting out our problems and try to overcome some of them. Part of mine was never saying no to anyone because I like to keep people happy. Now I am learning how to say no in a way that doesn't tick people off. Not an easy task.
I have just joined this site, so I am new to all this and just had to see what everybody else had to say about things. Thanks for the comeback. Chazam
Old 09-22-2002, 09:06 PM   #17  

April99

I don't know the exact amounts, but I will look for the website that had the information and get back with you. I think they listed the amounts there.

Michelle
Old 09-22-2002, 09:16 PM   #18  

Chazam

How interesting...I, too, have difficulty saying no to people. Perhaps this is one area that I need to work on. I grew up in an abusive household and had to hold my feelings/opinions at bay. Now, it seems like I'm just the opposite. I tend to lose my self control, but only with my family. With others, I tend to cower. My family insists that I am much easier to live with when on meds...I just am tired of the side effects. I missed several doses these past few days, and I have to honestly say that I am having a difficult time keeping myself from spazzing. On the meds, I can handle dealing with simple things like tending to multiple loads of laundry, but today, I noticed that "panicky" feeling I used to get when I had to wash lots of laundry was kicking in. I know it sounds silly, but I panic thinking that what if I can't get all my clothes washed and my family has to go without something clean to wear - then I get angry because I have to wash the clothes by myself - then I feel guilty for getting angry ....and so on and so on. (you get the picture) So, I get this sickening feeling that I have to keep on the meds, but I sure wished I didn't. Perhaps I need to work out my past in order to fix my future. Thanks for reminding me that despite the bad side of the meds., they do have a good side to them. -)

Michelle aka skei
Old 09-23-2002, 10:51 AM   #19  

April99

Here is the thread to the other website that I mentioned.
www.prozactruth.com/weight3.htm#supplements
I looked at the page again, and truly hope it's not one of those sites that are just trying to get you to purchase something. If it were me personally, I'd get the info. from off the site, but not actually purchase anything from them. I'd go to my local health food store and buy my own stuff. I have a great health food store that I use that has one lady in there who has tons of knowledge. She has on more than one occasion saved me from spending money on things that I didn't need, and she has also given me some great advise on solutions for problems by using things that I already had in my home. I am hoping that the site I mentioned to you has good results, but I have to let you know one thing. I wrote to the person on that site requesting info. about using something other than the fish oil since I have allergies to seafood. Interestingly enough, the person wrote to me saying that my question about substituting Flax seed oil might not be a good solution. They didn't provide me with another solution, just said the flax seed oil wouldn't work as well. I sent a second email and have not received a response. So, I think doing what they suggest is worth a try, but just don't go broke from trying it. Hope this makes sense to you.

Skei / Michelle
Old 09-23-2002, 10:01 PM   #20  

Thanks Michelle for looking up that information. I bought some salmon oil capsules today & I already have Vitamin E at home. So I hope it helps.
I went to the Dr. today & told him I only lost 9.2 lbs. in almost 5 months. He seemed to think that was fine. He said when I go back in 6 months.....I should have lost 9.5 more lbs. Oh well...I just have to hang in & not give up.

April
Old 09-24-2002, 01:50 AM   #21  

April

Don't get discouraged. I know it would be nice to lose weight like you used to, but look at it this way, at least you are losing and not gaining. Another thing to think about is this, most of the time when you lose weight quickly it seems like you gain it back. But, when you lose more slowly, the weight seems to stay off. So, pat yourself on the back and keep moving forward.

This weekend I went to the Hot Sauce Festival in my town and did something I haven't done in years. They were offering free Salsa lessons and I took them. I think I danced all afternoon and I loved it! I have always felt too fat to want to dance in public, but this time, I decided to forget what others thought, and have fun. The down side is that I had a terrible time walking the next day, but hey, it was still fun and great exercise. I am actually considering signing up for either a salsa class or a belly dance class. (depends on which one I like) My little girl takes belly dance and flamenco at this studio, so I figured, hey, why not give it a try. I'll let you know how things turn out.

Michelle
Old 10-04-2002, 09:30 PM   #22  

I am gaining like mad since I have been on Effexor. I am not sure what to do. Since I have been on Effexor I have felt better and have more energy and work out but am gaining. Went to Dr. and no help. I wonder if anyone else has suggestions. Am on WW but no luck while taking Effexor. Afraid to come off, you have to do slowly.
Old 10-04-2002, 11:40 PM   #23  

I am on Effexor XR...have been on it since January. I did gain some weight in the winter. I wasn't following WW or anything...wasn't feeling very good at the time. Five months ago...I started to feel better...so I started to do WW. In 5 months I have only lost 10 lbs. I have been doing a lot better following WW. Am writing down what I eat everyday & have learned some new eating habits.

Four years ago I lost 28 lbs. in 4 months with WW. So the difference is the Effexor XR. My Dr.seems to think that 10 lbs. in 5 months is fine. He said...when I see him in another 6 months...I should have lost another 10 lbs.

In the late 80's I was on antidepressants & gained quite a bit of weight.

How closely are you following WW. Now I probably stay within my points range about 90% of the time. When I was depressed...I probably stayed within the points range 50% at the most. It was such a struggle then.

I would suggest staying with WW. Journalling your food intake does become a habit over time. I find myself eating more healthy now.

Just hang in there.

April
Old 10-11-2002, 06:33 PM   #24  

Michelle,

Remember....about 3 weeks ago...you put an article here about weight gain while on antidepressants. Well I started taking the fish oil & vitaminE . In 3 days it will be 3 weeks since I started taking it.

I weighed in today & I lost 1.2 lbs.!!!!!!!!!!! It's the most I have lost in weeks & weeks.

So...thanks for telling me about this.

April
Closed Thread