Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 09-11-2009, 11:13 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 180/170/130

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bristar View Post
I am on an anti-anxiety and depression medication called citalopram. Is anyone else taking it or has anyone else had significant weight gain after being prescribed this drug?

I gained almost 20 lbs within 2 months after starting to take this medication. Any recommendation as to a substitute?? Help!

Thanks!
yes..about 3 years ago and my dr. thought i was crazy when i complained that i was gaining weight..i have since gone off them, but that was the start of my weight gain..i haven't lost it and i've since packed on 30 lbs more.

Last edited by olivebleu; 09-11-2009 at 11:16 PM.
olivebleu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 01:20 AM   #17  
Shrinkin' Salsa :P

S/C/G: 127/122/72 (kg)

Height: 5'9"

I'm on citalopram too, but I'm losing weight as normal.
salsa chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 02:43 PM   #18  
Weight Loss; Control Gain

S/C/G: ?/?/130

Height: 4'11"

Hi, I had a small weight gain in the beginning 5-10 lbs. But I restricted myself from working out due to some of the side effects in the beginning. I am now (3 months later) up to 10 mgs 2x @ day. I am doing better and motivated again, and have lost 6.2 lbs in the last 20 days.
vixjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 03:53 AM   #19  

S/C/G: 215/155/148

Height: 5'8

I took citalopram for 6 weeks when I was 18 and gained 25+ lbs over that time. With other side affects, such as constant dizziness, and very sick thoughts of hurting myself, it was the worst thing that ever happened to me. I threw my pills away and gradually learned to cope without anti-depressants over the past two years. I'm glad it works for some of you and I wish you all the best in getting the help you need for greater mental health. It's key to our greater physical health. (:
jackieeeeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 06:50 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 185/191/133

Height: 5'5

I was on Flouxetine for a year and it worked til I gradually started to feel down again. After an increase in the dose didn't work, my doc put me on citalopram. I have gained a few pounds since being on it but I gained more when I was on flouxetine. I think rather than the drug itself it is how your hormones are reacting to it. Sometimes i'm fine, no comfort eating, feeling good. but i can have an off day and just munch til my hearts content. I think it varies a lot. But the doc told me the best way to maintain or lose the weight is to just not give in to any binges that might come from it. some anti depressants increase your hunger as they are often used for anorexics and bulemics so if you feel hungry when you know you shouldnt be you just have to fight it. at least thats what my doc told me lol. good luck!
Joranha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 11:18 AM   #21  

I think the key to not gaining is planning meals in advance and sticking to that plan. Feeling hunger doesn't require instant eating. I'm on 40 mcg of citalopram and still losing.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 12:38 PM   #22  

S/C/G: 212/179/140

Height: 5'2

Hi,
I have been on citalopram for almost a month but I also started my program at the same time and I haven't noticed it affecting my weight loss. However, I don't feel tired, just unmotivated..anyone else have that happen to them?
taytay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 09:47 AM   #23  
I've only just begun! :)

S/C/G: 338/Ticker/180

Height: 5' 10"

Hi, there,
I was on Celexa for ages, in combination with Wellbutrin XL, then my doctor switched me to the new Citalopram - Escitalopram. It's the newest formulation of the drug. I have to say, I'm the most balanced and stable I've been in 20 years.
If you're on Citalopram and still unhappy, then speak to your doctor about escitalopram, or a complete change. The weight loss problem is a bit more manageable when you're balanced mentally.
Hang in there!!
Havisham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 09:57 PM   #24  
LoveHopes

S/C/G: 218/205/135

Height: 5' 4"

I take Citalopram too. And YES i gained weight with it. About 20 pounds or so. I have been taking it for two years and it does help stabilize my mood. this summer it seemed like it was not working well and my doctor decided to add wellbutrin to my daily meds. So now I take both of them. The wellbutrin in awesome because it is a mild amphetamine. It gives me more energy and it has decreased my appetite. Since starting it almost 2 months ago I have lost 13 pounds. Some of that comes from counting calories and walking almost daily. But the medication has seriously helped me to stop overeating because I'm just not hungry. Plus I am feeling less depressed than I have in many years! Life is starting to feel good again.
SexLovesCandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 05:39 PM   #25  

S/C/G: 160/156/130

Height: 5'7

I just started taking this; I'm scared of it making me gain more weight, but my doctor says it shouldn't affect my weight. Even if it doesn't make me gain, I hope it doesn't make it more difficult to lose weight for me. It seems I will just have to wait and see how it reacts with me (so far I feel a lot of the side effects - I'm not consentrating well and I can't sleep because it's really making me feel edgy and twitchy - which I never had a problem with before.)
mouse101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 02:14 PM   #26  
Happy Plodder

S/C/G: 238/158.9/138

Height: 5'2"

Thankyou, this has been interesting to read. Today I've just been given literature to read about Citalopram to see if I want to try it. All additional information useful!
Rosinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 11:26 PM   #27  

S/C/G: 286/180/155

Height: 5 ft 4 in

I'm also on Celexa and it's never made a difference in my weight. I've always liked it. It made me a new person. But that's just me, I tried Wellbutrin for a while too but that did nothing for me, and I know it's done wonders for others. Crazy how everyone reacts so different.

Terri, I had the "happy ending" issue too for several months, but it finally went away. However if your weight gain could be related to Celexa, I think your smart to wean off.
Holly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 01:03 PM   #28  

S/C/G: 238/185/158

Height: 5'10"

When I started on Citalopram I asked my GP about the potential for weight gain, she said if anything it might actually cause a slight weight loss. So far it's not interfered with my weightloss. Not to sound like a broken record but as everyone says it really does seem to depend on the individual...
Thyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 10:21 PM   #29  
bex

S/C/G: 260.5/207/150

I've been on Citalopram for almost 2 years and I dont think it has directly effected my weight.

I guess everyone is different!
bex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 05:56 PM   #30  

S/C/G: 204/See Ticker/140

Height: 5'6"

I'm on citalopram, and it's actually decreased my appetite significantly. Matter of fact, it's what has caused me to incorporate exercise into my "med-imposed" diet and honestly I've had no difficulty losing weight (knock on wood).
fattyfatterson is offline   Reply With Quote