Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 12-24-2008, 11:56 PM   #1  
Motivated for 2009

S/C/G: 240/200/125

Height: 5'5"

Default Paxil

I have been on it for about 5 weeks. It def. has helped my depression and anixety but I am worried about gaining weight on it and I also have heard that weaning off of it can be tough. Is anyone else on it? Has anyone had a positive experience with it?!
2ndChance09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 06:13 PM   #2  
Motivated for 2009

No one?! Okay well I guess I am on my own! Thanks anyway!
Old 12-26-2008, 07:28 PM   #3  

Height: 5'6"

Hi there,
Sorry for not replying before now.
I was on paxil for three years or so. It did help with my anxiety and depression to a point. I didn't suffer to badly with going off of it, but then again I started welbutrin right away. The few times I had tried to quit I had a few problems, muscles aches etc, but thankfully I never had the "brain zaps" that some people get.
I did gain weight while on it as I've lost 15 pounds since I changed meds. I've discovered that while I was on paxil I didn't have the sensation of being full, so I just ate and ate, now I know when I've had enough it was an odd revelation.
With all that being said it did help me and I needed it. The meds affect everyone differently so its hard to guage what side affects you may or may not experience.
Good luck to you.
K
buddly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 02:25 AM   #4  
Shooting for the moon

S/C/G: 210/151/140

Height: 5' 5.5"

I was on it for several months in 2002. It completely killed my sex drive! I wound up having to wean off of it but I did not have any weight gain then. I didn't have any problems weaning off of it but I did it slowly and my prescription was for a very low dosage.
Thin4Good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 06:07 PM   #5  
Motivated for 2009

Thanks for the posts! I just feel like it isn't working that well for me. It has helped some but I still have bad anxiety, panic attacks and an overall numb feeling. I haven't gained any weight yet but it makes me feel really tired and out of it, no sex drive etc. I am kind of scared to go off of it though since I have read about brain zaps, depression etc. I guess I will just talk to my Dr. and see what she thinks.
Old 12-30-2008, 06:41 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 202/160/135

Height: 5 ft 6 in

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndChance09 View Post
Thanks for the posts! I just feel like it isn't working that well for me. It has helped some but I still have bad anxiety, panic attacks and an overall numb feeling. I haven't gained any weight yet but it makes me feel really tired and out of it, no sex drive etc. I am kind of scared to go off of it though since I have read about brain zaps, depression etc. I guess I will just talk to my Dr. and see what she thinks.
From what I researched and read, a really good trial usually lasts about 8 weeks, and if you are not feeling better by then, you can think about switching to another. I personally think 8 weeks is a very long time to wait to feel better, but for some people it only starts kicking in after that long, so it's up to you if you want to wait.

I firmly believe that an antidepressant SHOULD WORK! It should make you feel better and not depressed, anxious, etc. The right antidepressant will work.

As for the weight gain, it's totally individualized. I personally gained 60 lb on Prozac, but I know a friend who didn't really gain anything. I lost weight with Wellbutrin, but I read some people gaining weight or just staying weight neutral. You never know until you try.

Some anti-Ds are known offenders, but that doesn't necessarily mean 100% it will be like that for you. Most of the SSRIs are known offenders for weight gain (Paxil, Lexapro, Celexa, Prozac, Zoloft).

Unfortunately, it's trial and error.

As for withdrawal, yeah, there's a few brain zaps and dizziness here and there, but that's mostly when stopping cold turkey. I would not advise stopping cold turkey!!! If you want to get off anti-Ds completely, ask your doctor to put you on a SLOW taper for Paxil. They will usually do that anyway, but make sure it's a SLOW taper.

~CGH~
choirgirlhotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 08:07 AM   #7  
I can do this......

S/C/G: 165/162/130

Height: 5'8

hey there! I have been on Paxil off and on for a good ten years but most recently I have been on it for the last year without stopping. I don't think it caused me to gain weight. I think that happened because I eat to much lol!

When I first started taking Paxil I knew I felt different but wasn't sure how. It wasn't until others mentioned my changes that I realized. Honestly within 2 months of taking Paxil it was like the clouds cleared. My depression clouded my judgement and perception of what I thought my life should be like and what I deserved. ( My changes were so obvious that 4 others in my life also started taking it)

I do have a habit of being on it and then going off. I got frustrated having to take something every day but then I changed my thinking. For myself I consider it "vitamins for my head" lol. If taking these little pills everyday make it so I'm not laying in bed for 3 days feeling worthless then why would I ever stop? There are days when I'm still down but it's much easier to bounce back than before!

I don't recomend going off cold turkey either although that's how I always did it. Since I know what I'm in for usually I get prepared for a week of what feels like a tamborine being smacked against my head. I don't advise it!!

This is just one persons opinion and experience. I know it's not for eveyone. Good luck!!
lisaorlola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 09:24 AM   #8  
nirvikalpa samadhi

S/C/G: 369.5/ticker/169.5

Height: 5'8"

I was on Paxil 2003-2004. It really helped me learn to manage my OCD and after about 18 months I was able to get off it slowly and I can still manage my OCD 98% of the time. However, the dark side was, I lost touch completely with all emotions while on it - no happiness, sadness, joy, anger, nothing - which also led to me not caring about my diet, going off Atkins completely, and gaining over 100 lbs in six months. I can't say the Paxil physically CAUSED me to gain weight but I am quite sure it caused me to not care, not take care of myself physically, thus leading to weight gain. I would not go on it again.
DCHound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 03:37 PM   #9  
Breathe the pressure

S/C/G: 250/ticker/150

Height: 5' 9"

Hi, I did not have a good experience while on Paxil but my situation was not the norm. I had been on meds non stop from around the age of 8 or 9 until 17 when I finally stopped them myself. I've been on lithium, prozac, welbutrin, paxil, zoloft, and a few others I don't remember. The last one towards the end was paxil and not only did it not help my depression but it made me feel like I was walking around in a complete fog. Being 17 I didn't know I needed to wean myself off of it so I quit cold turkey and it was the best thing I could have done. As soon as my system was pill free it was like I could actually think again. My depression is still slightly here but the meds made things soooo much worse for me.

Like I said though my situation was weird and I'm very happy for all the people that these drugs have helped. While on one type of medication as a teenager (I don't remember which one) I gained about 80 pounds in a year, and still haven't lost it but that's because now I'm just lazy lol! I didn't gain any when I stopped the medication though.
Good luck!
GypsyLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 06:57 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 262.2/199.8/150

Height: 5'5

I am currently on paxil cr 25. I recently tried to ween off of it.......AND IT DIDN'T WORK!!!! So I am back on it every single day.

As for weight gain........can't really say I have gained because of the medication. If I stick to eating the right way---following WW's plan---I do lose weight.

I do hear you on the not caring thing!!!! I don't know which is worse....crying my eyes out not taking paxil.....or feeling like a big fat blob on it!!!!
KayLINY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 10:32 PM   #11  
Motivated for 2009

Thanks everyone for your input.

I still don't know how I feel about Paxil. I do think it is helping some but the lack of emotions is really weird for me. I kind of just feel numb and don't really experience happiness, sadness etc. Even if I am sad I can't cry and sometimes I just wish that I could. I have a harder time expressing myself because I can't feel things like I used to.
Old 01-05-2009, 07:57 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 210

Height: 5ft7in

Paxil- lifesaver or demonizer. I am on it but constantly forget to take it until I'm so angry and my IBS kicks in and then come the panic attacks and depression. I don't know why I don't take it regular. I think its my internal resistance to having to depend on anything
Pixiesue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 08:56 PM   #13  
Saving Myself

S/C/G: 199.6/ticker/130

Height: 5'6

I was on Paxil years ago for only a few months. I was a totally different person when I took it. It was like I lost my morals and wanted to try everything I could think of. It felt like a dream. The next day, when I had to take more, I felt so horrible about myself. Really guilty and ashamed because I wouldn't ordinarily act the same way. I gained like 15 pounds and don't think I ever lost it. I thought I'd do badly when I got off it because when I forgot to take it one day, I almost attempted suicide. But I was fine.

Hope my experience helps.
Angel's_Dust is offline   Reply With Quote