Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 11-02-2007, 09:50 PM   #1  
mdl
whole foods bakery queen

Default on zoloft -- hungrier than ever

yuck. i was put on zoloft to help with depression. it eases my anxiety in general but i have been bingeing or fighting the battle of the fridge way more often than i would like. i realize that anti-depressant meds help some people forget about their food worries and others gain weight (hard to trust the net ) so i told my doc i would try it. and he said try for 3 weeks and see what happens

but it is frustrating. i work out like a beast and eat mostly fruits and veggies and non-meat protein (i binge on mostly healthy foods but whatever). the medicine makes me tired and bloated and all that jazz.

if the meds are supposed to make the depression easier to deal with but you turn into a zombie then what is the point? i would rather be the moody girl i was before ya know?
mdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 02:00 PM   #2  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Hi mdl

Did your doctor say just how long the side effects would last? If not, give him a call and see, can't hurt.

Zoloft and me do not get along, I have bad reactions with it (not food), meaning it made me have nasty thoughts.

Anyway..... Hang in there, stay strong but mostly

Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 08:48 PM   #3  
mdl
whole foods bakery queen

hellooo - i have a follow up with the doc..he said to give it 3 weeks. i am OK with that -- thought being "how much weight could i gain in 3 weeks" hahaha.
Old 11-05-2007, 09:08 AM   #4  

S/C/G: Slow but steady

Height: 5' 11"

I have the same problem with Zoloft. Or any antidepressant actually. The only one i can be on and not gain is Wellbutrin. It works really well with my depression AND it is the only one that has a side effect of weight LOSS...now that i can deal with.
I gained 80 pounds on antidepressants until i found Wellbutrin. Goodluck and at the end of three weeks, if you are still eating nonstop...ask your doc "why not wellbutrin"? Maybe you could try that one.
Get n healthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 11:00 AM   #5  

Height: 5'2"

I started trying to lose weight a couple weeks before my doctor put me on Zoloft for anxiety. I'm still on it and have since lost almost 50 pounds. My appetite is still about the same as it was before I started taking it. I guess you should talk to your doctor and find something else to take.

Last edited by Jpye; 11-05-2007 at 11:02 AM.
Jpye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 01:45 PM   #6  

Height: 5'4"

I've been on Zoloft for two years and I haven't had a problem. I should mention I was pregnant for a lot of that time, so that may have been obscuring any problem. Now that I'm not pregnant and I've been on it for so long, I haven't noticed a problem.
Amy8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 09:42 PM   #7  
mdl
whole foods bakery queen

thx for the input!! if i am still eating the freaking paint off the walls after 3 weeks i will ask for wellbutrin or something else..i have heard that wellbutrin is less of a weight gain risk as far as anti depressants go.

i will say that whenever i exercise i always feel better afterwards. without fail.
Old 11-06-2007, 07:24 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 351 / 282 / 135

Height: 5'3"

I think it's different for everyone, everyone's body reacts different. That's really frustrating to figure out what works.

I was on Effexor. It worked GREAT for my anxiety, did little for my depression. And I gained 50 pounds in a year. Then I added in Wellbutrin, just a bit, in the morning. It's curbed my binges and cravings. I still have my anxiety dealt with, and the depression... well, I'm not so much depressed as apathetic, I guess, which isn't optimal. But I'm also apathetic about the thought of binging so right now it's sorta worth it.
rabidstoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 05:02 AM   #9  
Lose Weight in 2008!

Height: 5' 3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Get n healthy View Post
I have the same problem with Zoloft. Or any antidepressant actually. The only one i can be on and not gain is Wellbutrin. It works really well with my depression AND it is the only one that has a side effect of weight LOSS...now that i can deal with.
I gained 80 pounds on antidepressants until i found Wellbutrin. Goodluck and at the end of three weeks, if you are still eating nonstop...ask your doc "why not wellbutrin"? Maybe you could try that one.
I think I'm going to talk to my doc about Wellbutrin. You're not the first person I've heard from that says the side effects are not nearly as bad as others.
BabyNicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 10:45 AM   #10  

Default on zoloft

greetings my name is angela and i am nc. I have been on anti-depressants since i was 15. I have been on wellbutrin, paxil, you name it they tried it on me. finally, i am on zoloft and love it. but like most anti depressants theres the weight gain and sometimes i get like a hungry lion and have to eat and eat.
i was doing fine with weight watchers, and within the first week, between food journaling and excersize etc i lost 2 lbs per week. However, due to numerous stress factors i slacked off and well my weight came back on.
mths later i ran into the man i am dating now, and hes a personal trainer. Hes awesome. and is very educational and helpful. even though he accepts me as i am ( physically ) i still feel in my heart i need to change. not only for my own personal benifit but what if one day i meet his kids. I dont want to get out of breath and cant keep up with them when we play.
i keep dreaming that there is a natural weight loss pill. i guess i want to take the easy way out. Bf says nope, eat healthy and work out and watch portions and ill do fine
i plan on joining the Y soon and as a beginner going to start out at 30 min a day for three times a week. my grandmother is joining with me so she can do the water arobics. she is going to motivate me.
its just hard to keep on track b/c my bf eats a lot of protien and bulky foods b/c of his need to gain weight and work out and well me i know i need to eat healthy foods. lol
its hard and not fair to watch him enjoy all that stuff but in order for me to fit into my dream bikini i bought i know not to give into the temptation of sneaking into his food stash lol

angela in nc
pudin27263 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 09:38 PM   #11  
CURVY VIXEN

S/C/G: 205/194/128

Height: 5'2''

I've been on all of them, except for prozac. Zoloft was the worst for weight gain for me. I'm on Lexapro now and my appetite is there but I can control it.. good luck..
wellbutrin may be added to zoloft to curb your hunger, you might give that a try, it helped alot with me when I was on it.
purplepansy912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 04:12 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 319/238/160

Height: 5' 6"

I was on Prozac for years...but it made me "blah". I wasn't depressed, but I was never happy. I went off Prozac for a whiel but decided I definately did need something. So the doc put me on Zoloft. It really hasn't effected my weight. I don't go through pyscotic pms rages any more (AMEN!!) but it does have one rather unpleasant side effect...it has lowered my sex drive. Well maybe lowered isn't the right word...ELIMINATED my sex drive is more like it. I think I would rather have a root canal than have sex. Which is starting to cause some marital problems. I went off it once for three weeks to see what would happen...I was back to my old Nympho self....then the PMS thing hit and I decided it was better to be on the Zoloft.
KateB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 08:39 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 235/228/199

Height: 5'3

I'm on Zoloft and yes, it's made me gain weight. But it works really well for me - I'm a totally different person now than I was 4 years ago when I started it. I'm an optimist! I never knew that before.

I've never made a serious effort to lose weight since I started on Zoloft, though, since I knew that my weight was one source of anxiety, so I decided that I was fine and shouldn't worry about it. Four years later I'm 60 pounds heavier and figuring it's about time to start worrying again, now that the depression/anxiety is under control. But I'd rather be fat than suicidal, which is where I was four years ago. So unless I keep gaining weight even with my diet and exercise, I'll stick with the Zoloft.
emmyroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 04:48 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 220/220/150

Height: 5.0

My FitDay

S/C/G: 205/193/155

Height: 5'3

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
I'm on Zoloft and yes, it's made me gain weight. But it works really well for me - I'm a totally different person now than I was 4 years ago when I started it. I'm an optimist! I never knew that before

I wish lol
JenJen76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 04:53 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 225/207/140

Height: 5'5

I started taking zoloft again a few weeks ago. I think it's making me more hungry, but I can't really tell because I got the girl-flu last week, and that always makes me really hungry. One thing I have noticed though is that I don't seem to be really interested in food since I've started taking it. I mean I'm still really hungry, but the past few nights I've had to force myself to eat *enough* calories. Nothing sounds good to eat.
ohmanda is offline   Reply With Quote