Challenge for the nerds! Walk to Mordor!

You're on Page 2 of 14
Go to
  • Pilgrimage - I think your name and the challenge are paired quite humorously. This is like the nerd pilgrimage. lol.

Is everyone counting all their steps during the day or just workouts?
  • I have a new plan. I'm going to walk to Rivendell by the time of the Hobbit premiere. That is 458 miles. That accounts to 4.7 miles per day to get there in 96 days. I think this is very doable for me!

I'm not counting day steps because I find wearing a pedometer annoying... haha... so for me just miles during workouts/walks. I just see the rest of the steps during the day as "extra".

My husband had never taken note of Lord of the Rings until we were married, then I made him watch all the movies. He hasn't gotten into the books but he is obsessed with the movies now and can quote most of them. He has been growing out his beard for over a year now to dress up as Gandalf for the Hobbit. It is so disgusting! Buuuut... he won't get into the walk... lol... he doesn't need to burn any extra calories anyway.
  • I would like to join this challenge. I just joined and was looking around the forum and stumbled onto this challenge. It is so great and just what I need. I am an avid walker, trying to lose weight of course, and a fan of Lord of the Rings. What fun!

This is my first post here so hopefully I am doing it correctly. I am excited to be here.

Michele
  • Welcome, znaoic! We are glad you are here to walk with us.
  • What?!

I'm doing this!

I had planned to hold off any real exercise plans until I lose a big chunk of the weight but this isn't about weight loss anymore!

This is about saving Middle Earth!!

Hehe, just kidding. When I was in highschool I had a bookmark for Lord of the Rings that had a replica of the ring on it and I took it off the bookmark and wore it like a necklace. You know, around a long chain like Frodo. I was a huge nerd.

I will start doing this. I'm sure my weight loss journey will take about two years, it'd be cool to reach Mordor as I'm reaching my goal weight.

Now I just have one question....how do we get back from Mordor?
  • Just bought my pedometer! I do all of my walking outside so it's really the only way to track my progress with any accuracy

Hubby and I are both LOTR fans, when we got married there was no discussion necessary - our wedding bands are One Ring replicas The nerdiness extends much deeper, but LOTR is probably my longest standing nerd connection.

So excited for this! Trying to recruit a few FB friends to join me
  • Walked 10 miles yesterday and 5 miles this morning. 15/1,779. On my way!

Michele
  • thewalrus0 - The trip back (after being carried to Minas Tirith by giant eagles) is 1625 mi. You can also follow Frodo to Grey Havens and return home with Sam after that for another 467 mi. I am just going to concentrate on getting to Mt. Doom for now and see how far I get after that.
  • Welcome all! Our fellowship is GROWING, and we will hopefully be LOSING as we go!

I've done a lot of walking the last couple of days, almost up to 30 miles! What excitement! I need to go on a little walk still today to get up to the 4.7 that I'm trying to do... really only half a mile more, so I'll probably end up going a bit further if the baby is enjoying the stroller ride, and surpass the 30 mile mark. Right now I have made it to where I can see the River across the Woody end!

If I can make it to 32 miles today I will catch the first black rider sighting! Oh no!
  • Off to a half-decent start...between walking around constantly at school and walking laps in a pool the other day, up to 16.7 miles. Now to start remembering that I'm doing this challenge and actually go for walks

Hobbiton to Mt. Doom: 1779
    Traveled: 16.7
    Remaining: 1762.3
  • I didn't workout today but I did go on a 1.25 mi walk.

Hobbiton to Mt. Doom: 1779
    Traveled: 26.75
    Remaining: 1752.25
  • Finally got my new bodybugg (which has a pedometer) so I can finally keep going with this! Yay! So far I only included one short walk that I knew the distance of, but I'm going to add up my steps from throughout the day, I think.
  • This is the coolest thing EVER! I am so stoked, and I can't wait to tell all my nerd friends about it. I totally think I'm going to walk through the movies on my treadmill...maybe the extended editions. And outside too of course!

I wrote a chapter of my masters thesis on LOTR! I love it so much!

Thanks for starting this! I can't wait 'til I can have a ticker so I can track my miles.
  • Welcome TRom, that is an awesome idea about walking through the movies!

Well, I didn't get any extra walking in, but I did get all my housework in so I guess that's good. Frodo likes a clean house, right? So I end my day at 29.7 miles walked in the Woody End.
  • Oh this sounds fun! I joined in a distance challenge (500 miles in 2012) but everyone else has dropped out except me. I'd love to join y'all!

Today I jogged 0.5 miles, biked 9 miles, and walked/jogged (Couch to 5K plus some additional walking) 2 miles. That's 11.5 miles for the day. It's a start!

Reading through this challenge is making me want to go watch the movies again.