Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 11-04-2013, 10:39 AM   #31  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

I don't know that much about IE, just what I've read online, but that being said I do know that I can't "intuitively" eat my trigger foods. Period. Over 40 years of trying has taught me that fact, because I have tried over, and over, and over to be a person who can eat ALL THINGS moderately. I love the whole idea of ALL THINGS in moderation.

And for 40 years I have failed at moderation for trigger foods. Failed spectacularly.

I don't think of my trigger foods as "bad" foods, I just accept that I don't act like a normal person when I eat them. It is what it is, I am what I yam.

Maybe I'm just tired of fighting after all these years, but I gave up trying to eat junk for in "moderation". Once I really accepted that I wasn't going to be feeding myself a steady, "moderate" diet of Fritos, dark chocolate, and jelly bagels (which is what my body WANTS) life has been getting a whole lot less stressful.

My trigger foods aside, I would say I actually AM an intuitive eater. I eat the rest of my foods pretty much without restriction, particularly veggies, salads, beans, and fruits. I eat those foods until I'm satisfied, 3 x per day.

A few high calorie items I do measure, just so I have a general idea how much I'm using (EVOO, nut butter, mayo), but I don't shy away from those products and eat plenty of all of them.

I do think IE sounds like a great plan and is definitely worth looking into, because it may work great for some people. We are all different.

Last edited by Mrs Snark; 11-04-2013 at 10:40 AM.
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 11:31 AM   #32  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

Well, 1400 calories worth of candy...I'm not sure that's actually doable. If you're IE, at some point you're not going to be interested in the candy any more. I read one of Geneen Roth's books, I think it was When Food is Love, and she started eating chocolate chip cookie dough till she couldn't stand it any longer. There was a point when her desires switched to healthier food choices.

I do know that when I stay away from processed foods altogether, that I do successfully keep to IE. Processed foods seem to be designed to be overeaten. Easier to chew and swallow, and we fill up far too much on them before our brain realizes we achieved and surpassed satiety.
geoblewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 11:58 AM   #33  

S/C/G: GW: 125

Height: 5'6"

Good morning everyone!

After a terrible Thursday and Friday (binges, both), I had a great weekend. Now, one step at a time, one day at a time, until.... argh, Thanksgiving! Out of the last three, I spent two of them in horrible pain from overeating. I need to come up with a plan, which I think will have to start with a limit on wine.

HuggerBunny, I agree with you that food is so much a part of the holidays. I struggle with this because I know, for me, it is a problem, but I'm not sure what to do with my kids. I don't want to be a strict, lock-down, no-holiday-treats-here kind of house, but I'm afraid of passing along to them this idea that for some reason we have to consume vast amount of crap every day between Thanksgiving and Christmas. As I write this, I know it comes down to balance -- I just wish I was better at balance!

MomWithDogs, I have no insight on IE, because it is absolutely outside of my abilities. I can't even imagine it. But I will say, while mathematically you should be able to lose on 1400 cals of candy or twinkies or whatever, I think it would be an awful ride. Eating too much crap messes with our blood sugar and everything else. 1400 cals of good healthy food is satisfying -- 1400 cals of sugary junk would leave a person with cravings from blood sugar spikes and crashes. I figure that's one of the reasons it is hard to recover after a binge (especially a carby, sugary binge, which is my specialty).

Hello to everyone else -- Mrs. Snark, Geoblewis, Mainecyn, MegantheMushroom -- and anyone else reading along!
thesame7lbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 12:55 PM   #34  
Battling Binge Eating

S/C/G: 228/179/150

Height: 5'5 1/2

Quote:
I had a great weekend. Now, one step at a time, one day at a time,
That is great newsYou should be proud of yourself. Any type of progress is something to congratulate yourself on.

I had my binge eating under control for over 3 years when it came crashing down on me during a Thanksgiving about 7 years ago. I had done Atkins, was still on the plan, had been carb free, binge free, for years and lost almost 100 lbs. I hadn't had a temptation once to binge or eat anything I shouldn't. I dont' really remember what it was that made me decide to eat just a little of all the holiday stuff..never had done that before. I started with a little taste, then more, then huge amounts on a plate. I hadn't looked back since, I've been battling it and trying to stay on Atkins ever since. I lost it completely and hadn't been able to stop. I don't know how I'm going to do tomorrow, or an hour from now. The holidays are the hardest, I can relate 7pounds.

I made it thru the weekend binge free and not once eating anything that I shouldn't..not even over eating on items I can have. I used my keto sticks to visualize the progress, tell myself it was working, i was working. I was in ketosis all weekend and tested this morning, still am in ketosis and even after drinking tons of water its even darker on the strip, in-between small and moderate. I am feeling the effects, the wellness, the serenity that I used to feel during ketosis, its here...not to mention the COLD I always freeze when I'm in ketosis.

Taking my son to the dr today, he suffers from Asthma, bad cough and sour throat..he has physical therapy tonight as well.

Hello to everyone, hope we all have a strong day.
mainecyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 01:03 PM   #35  
One Meal At A Time

S/C/G: 141/see ticker/no more meds

Height: 5'2"

Thanks for the responses and I guess I should have added a disclaimer; I don't eat candy and was just using it as an example. My downfall in anything crunchy and salty.

It was more just the idea that some IE followers say it doesn't matter what one eats bc one is only eating until satisfied...WTF ever that means, lol

7-FWIW, I have a 16yo DD and I must tell you, she has no food issues. She still has a box of chocolate in her room from the Easter. She takes a bite or two and calls it a day. She eats everything else in the same manner. Currently she is 5'1" and 117lbs.

I fully believe she is like this bc I never put any restrictions on what she eats and that includes when she was a toddler and would only eat mac and cheese. I hear a lot of parents focus on not raising picky eaters w/o taking food relationships into account. I think this is even more important with girls.

Just watch your kids and if you see them stuffing cookies, observe the next meal. If the kids eat less, then you know there's really no problem and the kids are self-regulating.

Sorry for the soap box.
momwithdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 01:14 PM   #36  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

Gotta share one trick I learned this year...a swimmer's nose clip. I am a highly suggestible eater. When I get a whiff of something, I WANT IT! Its tough when I live in a town that smells like Cheerios all the time (there's a General Mills plant here). When my kids are cooking something for themselves, and it smells so good, I want some even though I'm not hungry. So I put the nose clip on and it instantly frees me from wanting that food!
geoblewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 02:37 PM   #37  
Battling Binge Eating

Quote:
I fully believe she is like this bc I never put any restrictions on what she eats and that includes when she was a toddler and would only eat mac and cheese. I hear a lot of parents focus on not raising picky eaters w/o taking food relationships into account. I think this is even more important with girls.

Just watch your kids and if you see them stuffing cookies, observe the next meal. If the kids eat less, then you know there's really no problem and the kids are self-regulating.
I understand where you are coming from on this. I never made foods a no no or used foods as a reward. I encouraged healthy eating, veggies, fruits, etc. I never lectured my kids about cleaning your plate, watching your weight, or had dinner fights. To this day they eat a variety of veggies and fruits on their own and desserts are just that-not a daily thing but not forbidden.

I have food and weight issues, I have no self esteem. I grew up hating myself, even though looking back at it now I really wasn't over weight as a kid, just was developing faster than others. I did however develop a weight issue after having my kids.

I did however have food issues that I developed as a child. I grew up in a household where you ate it until it was gone. My dad was a big hard working man, food was the reward. My mother was emotional and always was plus size, used to hide foods and eat them as her rewards. Food was used as a congratulations, a way to treat happiness or sadness. We were not taught portions. We were also poor, any time we would have a treat in the house you really had to fight for your share, 4 kids. We got to where you would find the "good stuff" and eat it fast, till it was gone.

I never got on my kids about what they ate because I raised them to have a healthy relationship with food, have good eating habits. I especially didn't want my daughter to be like me. I also never ever lectured my daughter about her eating, or say things to make her self conscious about weight. I tried to never talk about diets around her. My daughter has great self esteem and is happy young women.

However, I did step up and take her to the dr when I noticed her weight increasing. Instead of focusing on her weight, I told her we were going to the dr to make sure she was healthy. The dr diagnosed her as insulin resistant, and also she was very vit d deficient. I still do not focus on the weight that she has gained, she is losing it. I tell her if she continues to eat healthy and be active it should come off. If it doesn't, then we will address that.

I've taught my children that when I notice something different in their eating habits, or weight, it must be dealt with because it could mean a health/emotional issue. We are focusing on whole foods, lots of veggies, low whole grain carbs a couple times a week, berries, and some dairy. I

I've never used the word fat, or told my daughter she needs to lose weight. I do however tell her that she needs to eat healthy and really watch she eats, keep track of things. We do it together.

As the weight started coming off my daughter felt better. Instead of using food as a reward I have found things that she likes, a movie, a new cute belt she picked out, earrings..things like that. I want her to have a healthy relationship with food, not binge.I've shared my eating issues with my daughter, admitted my own problems. Neither my daughter, or son, went trick or treating this year. My step kids, all three, did. We have the added issue of my two step daughters being rail thin and can eat everything and anything. They were not raised in a home where they learned to eat veggies or fruit..they seem to survive on candy, Hawaiian punch, a ramen noodles. I have also tried to explain to my daughter that thin doesn't always mean healthy-as with her step sisters that eat garbage and are smaller than she is.
Old 11-04-2013, 04:15 PM   #38  
Updating my software ;)

S/C/G: KGs: 82 / ?? / 55

Height: 5ft

Hello again everyone

I've been doing all right the past week and I think everything has been under control. I'm so glad my semester is over, but I can't remember my password to see my results LOL! I'll have to sort that out this week, tee hee
Rhiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 09:23 PM   #39  

S/C/G: 174/167/145

Height: 5'8

Today was a good day. I had a quick workout this morning, and did eat a little too much at dinner, but I beat a binge
Day 2- finished!
MeganTheMushroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 09:46 PM   #40  
I Can Change

S/C/G: 151/149.9/120

Default I'm starting to feel hopeless

Day after day, I got rid of more and more snacky triggery foods. And still I go to the shop and buy a fruit and nut bar, then eat cereal and yoghurt after dinner. Not one day yet have I managed to not overeat. I know my cereal is sweetened with agave so another thing to go out in the garbage. Lordy I am getting despairing of myself!

I really believe if I could just get a little run on of like a week without problem foods or overeating I could keep it up. I just can't seem to get a start. Any hints on getting a go on? I am thinking I should try to skip dinner just once so at least I could wake up not still full from the night before. I don't know that I can realistically do it though.

I am so frustrated with my eating habits.
I am making myself bitter for the sake of the sweet!

I haven't had a full blown binge for over a week though so that's some progress!

I'm just having a vent, sorry.

Last edited by tarabella; 11-05-2013 at 03:55 AM.
tarabella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 09:54 PM   #41  
Began on 10/25/13

Tarabella, awesome that you haven't binged for a week! Good job! That sounds like a step in the right direction to me.

What is it that you're having for dinner when you follow it with cereal and yogurt? If you're feeling hungry a couple of hours after dinner, maybe you could have a healthy snack and then eat dinner later than normal?

Today I had a tiny victory! My husband and I were out doing things longer than we expected, and lunchtime came and went. Our last stop was Sam's Club to get a veggie platter and some things for him for work. We were both really hungry so the plan was for him to get a hot dog and for me to get a salad. Well, they did not have any salad! They've had salad every other time, not sure why today was different. But my husband got his hot dog and ate it while I dreamed about getting a pretzel, then we got what we came for and went home. I had my late lunch of a cup of split pea soup when we got home. Glad I didn't give in and get my much loved pretzel. I'm allowing myself one unanticipated "snack" per month but it's only November 4th and I didn't use it for the pretzel because something better might come along later this month!

Also, Sam's had both raspberries AND strawberries in the produce section so I now have a 12 oz carton of raspberries and 2 pounds of strawberries. These are my two favorite berries so I'm pretty pleased. They're probably the last I'll see this year so I was happy to find them. Dinner's going to be leftover chicken, cauliflower, and strawberries- yum!
HuggerBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 10:04 PM   #42  
Battling Binge Eating

Mrs Snark, what you said describes me completely. Ive tried for years to be a person that can eat a little of everything, trigger foods included. At times Ive fooled myself into believing I could, with horrible results. After 20 years I. Know that personally I can not eat trigger foods, they have to be banned completely. Ive tried all types of diets and support groups to over come it. What ive wondered is why is it wrong for me to cut something out of my eating when I know it posions me and robs me of my power and self control? To those that tell me I need to eat all foods I ask one question of them when they give me a hard time..would you give an alcoholic a bottle of booze and tell them you just need to learn moderation? No, and its the same type of advice. Any substance that is used to alter your mind and body, makes you feel helpless and out of control, that makes you Hate yourself, is a drug reguardless if it is "only food"
Old 11-04-2013, 10:13 PM   #43  

S/C/G: 147/147/135 HW - 190

Hi everyone!

Boy, this thread is hard to keep up with! It moves so fast! I didn't overeat at all this weekend but I also didn't lose anything this week. I'm getting married in six weeks and I really wanted to be at goal by then..now I'm thinking it probably won't happen Trying not to beat myself up about it though.

MomWithDogs I've tried intuitive eating, there are books that suggest that is a great way to overcome disordered eating and find your natural weight. I however cannot do it, intuitively I snack on carbs all day without ever eating any actual meals. I think it's worth a try though as it seems like it would be really amazing if it worked for you. My therapist said that she thinks it works well for people who used to have normal, healthy eating habits but started binging later in life. I have never had normal eating habits..I was never taught them...I was an obese child and an anorexic teen so for me I can't trust my intuition, I need to follow an eating plan.

Tarabellam - Congrats on not having a full-out binge this week! That is totally progress. I would suggest eating dinner, skipping meals just sets you up for a binge. It seems drastic but the only thing that I find works for me is not eating anything other than my breakfast, lunch, dinner, and post dinner "treat" (either a dessert and a cup of tea or a glass of wine). Snacks just don't work for me, I'd constantly snack and before you know it I'm binging. You can do this!!
LisaTcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 10:25 PM   #44  

S/C/G: 147/147/135 HW - 190

Mainecyn Your childhood sounds similar to mine except that I actually was very overweight. It's really nice to hear that your daughter has a healthy relationship with food. I'm about to get married and my and my fiance both worry about me passes on my disordered eating habits and poor body image to my future children. I glad to hear that other people have had success in raising healthy kids! I'm trying to work it out now so that when I do have kids I can model healthy habits for them. I doubt I'll ever have a positive body image but If I can at least hide it from them that will be good.
LisaTcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 04:15 AM   #45  
I Can Change

S/C/G: 151/149.9/120

Thanks for the support ladies.

LisaTCan, I'm going to try a day with no eating between meals and see if that helps. I haven't tried that in a looong time. I have finally let go of every food that I overeat consistently (including the sweet cereal!) so that too gives me a better chance for tomorrow.

I too am so worried about my how to give my future child a healthy relationship with food- I am newly pregnant- so that is why I am really trying to at least stop with the binging and sometimes purging that I have engaged in for many years.
tarabella is offline   Reply With Quote