I count all of my calories (fruit and veg included) and have for years. Recently, however, I have shifted my focus from calories to carbs. I still have a basic calorie number I am aiming for (though it is higher than it used to be) and now I focus more on keeping my carbs low.
I used to allow myself one "cheat" food, normally something low cal, like pickles, jello, etc. but I find that it just motivates me to binge on that item (As in, I will eat an entire jar of pickles in one sitting, or I will eat two whole boxes of sugar free jello). So now I count everything to the best of my ability. I use the livestrong Myplate system to help with this, though sometimes I have to estimate.
1. Drink 144 or more oz. of water per day (6 water bottles or more)
2. Keep my net carbs (grams of carbs - grams of fiber) at 60 grams or less per day
3. Keep my sugar content at 25 grams or less per day (primarily from fruit/veggies)
4. Do at least 3 mins of planks every day.
5. Do at least 100 squats every day.
6. Run at least 3 times a week.