Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 06-11-2010, 04:19 PM   #1  

Height: 5'1''

Default Hungry or Not it doesn't matter

I have never posted in this section of 3fc but decided to now because I cannot handle it anymore.

I am trying to eat better but I just can't seem to make myself. I tell myself that I can do it but when the food is there I cannot resist. It is like this temptation like no other. I can be full but if there is something that sounds good I will eat it anyways. I need help. Can anyone tell me what they do in a similiar situation. I need to get my life on track. Food is consuming my every thought. I think about it all the time. I fall asleep thinking about what I am going to eat for breakfast. And last night I saw a commercial for Ihop (never been there) and it looked so good, I asked my boyfriend where the nearest one was and he said the cities (2 hours from our house), I freaked out and asked why we have never been there then because we have been to the cities before. Not very often but semi-frequently we go.

I feel like I am not even trying because of this issue. But I think about food all of the time. How do you stop? Yesterday I wanted McDonalds for breakfast but I talked myself out of it because I thought it would be more relaxing to do it on Friday and I would fully enjoy it. So this morning I stoped and got breakfast for myself and some family. I hid one of the burritos in my car before I even got to their house. I got there and realized I didn't have enough food for everyone so I said I swear I ordered another burrito it must have fallen out of the bag on my way in so I ran to my car and got the one I hid. I feel so stupid.. how did i let myself do that.

Advice much needed and appreciated. How do you deal, and stop?
club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 04:46 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 292/250/175

Height: 5'7''

Don't worry- you're not alone! Please feel comforted by the fact that we all have gone through times (or are still going through times) where ALL we can think about is food. Reading your post helped me! Just moments before I read this, I was thinking about going to the vending machine and getting 3 candy bars! I'm not even hungry... I just want them. I know how you feel, and it is very hard.

I can really relate to your McDonald's story. I am a recovering binge eater. Sometimes I'd pick up dinner for my husband and me, and I'd order something extra just for myself (6 - yes, SIX, cookies from Subway or an extra McChicken and a fish filet from McDonald's). It was almost like I was afraid to eat a "normal" meal, and if I did, maybe I'd be hungry or unsatisfied? Who knows why we do it... I'm just glad I've been able to resist lately. You will too. You just have to find the inner strength to change the way you think about food.

When I find myself obsessing about food, I try to keep myself busy. If I have enough motivation to go exercise, that will usually stop the cravings and relentless food thoughts for a while. Other times, I'll chew minty gum, call a friend I haven't talked to in a while, watch my favorite tv show or even take a nap! I'll do whatever I can to lead my thoughts away from food. Just take one craving at a time, like it's a battle. Win that war, girl!

We can do this!
Danielle2842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 04:55 PM   #3  

oh Danielle2842 I so needed to hear that. Thank you so much. You have def. gave me strength and inspiration; Thank you for the kind words and your own stories. It is nice to hear other peoples stories, it makes it seem more real. Some say they are the same way but sometimes you still feel alone on the issue. Hearing your own stories that are similiar to mine made it real and I am not alone.

I feel like this kind of thing should not be talked about. I am embarassed by it, but I need to talk about it if I want to make changes right? I am going to try and not be embarassed. It is something I can add to my list to work on!! Thank you so much.
Old 06-11-2010, 09:36 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 272/ticker/145

Height: 5'9

Club -- I would sneak food and eat two dinners all the time before I lost the weight! I used to work evenings 3-4 days a week, getting off at 9pm. I wouldn't eat dinner there, but I'd hit the drive-thru on the way home. It got to the point where the Burger King guy knew who I was!! How awful/sad is that?! But, I would eat the fast food meal while driving home. I would have it all finished by the time I got home and then I'd hide the bags in the trashcan outside. Then, I'd come inside, saying I was "starving" and fix myself something else! Usually a bowl of cereal or whatever left-overs were in the fridge.

But, like you, I still spend a lot of time thinking about food. When I can eat, what I'll eat, what I can and can't eat. It really is tiring. I wish I had advice on that, but I don't...I'd love to hear some!

But Danielle is right...you really do have to take things one craving at a time. I tell myself I don't have to be perfect, I just have to make sane choices. Those choices don't necessarily have to be healthy, but they should be rational. I'm finding it requires extra thought, but it's worth it when I can indulge in little treats but still be able to stay binge-free.

And it's okay to be embarrassed. I am too, honestly. No one in my real life knows about my binge-eating or how I'm constantly thinking about food. Actually everyone just thinks I'm "health-conscious". I think that if people knew how much I thought about food, they'd think I was crazy! I agree that it's something to work on! Maybe I'll work on it too!
foxxy511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 09:23 AM   #5  

Thank you foxxy511---No one in my real life knows about my binge-eating or how I'm constantly thinking about food. Actually everyone just thinks I'm "health-conscious". I think that if people knew how much I thought about food, they'd think I was crazy!

I feel the exact same way. Nobody really truely knows how bad it is. I have told my boyfriend some things but I don't think he really understands. When really, if he is not that way how can he. It makes me feel horrible. He is supportive, he actually doesn't think I need to lose weight but said if it makes me happier than he will try and support me. This whole thing consumes me, I wish if he is going to be supportive (the way I want him to) he could 'get' how consuming it is. I think he would be supportive in an entirely different way.

Thank you for telling me where you have been. It helped also. I am so glad that there is a site where we can go where there are other people who truely understand.
Old 06-14-2010, 10:24 AM   #6  
Caroline

S/C/G: 173/ticker/123

Height: 5' 5"

I don't think anyone would ever believe how bad my binges got. Initially I binged with fast food and then I switched to secret eating at home. One time, I swore I was going to perforate my stomach. I think I got to the point where I would consume about 5,000 calories in a single evening. And I was doing that 3-4 times a week. At that point, I sought help from an eating disorder center.

It is a long road to recovery, but I rarely beat myself up when I binge. I binged this past Friday night and then I had a normal weekend and on plan for the rest of the weekend.

I've noticed that focusing on not bingeing can make it worse. Because I'll just sit there resisting the urges, but then they get stronger. When the cravings hit, try to distract yourself and do something else. Try to focus your life and energy on something other than food.

Good luck.
motivated chickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 11:05 AM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by club View Post
I fall asleep thinking about what I am going to eat for breakfast.
Me too. This line reaaly hit a cord because the fact that I do this really upsets me. I hate it. I HATE my obsessions with food. The ugly catch is when I'm not dieting or watching my binges are smallers and farther apart. I can go weeks just eating a pretty hefty sized bowl of ice cream before bed ( still too much, and I conitue to gain) but stop there...BUT once I go on plan, the binging urge (I think its now knowing its a no-no) gets so strong. And when I do fall off, its a huge binge that dwarfs the original hefty bowl of ice cream.
I see a few people have lied or hid food. My DH binges also. Or atleast he over eats a lot. He is obese too, and there's no reason to hide how much I can eat from him, but that just makes over eating easier. We enable eachother and often binge together.
I just wish I had a normal relationship with food.
GlamourGirl827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 02:05 PM   #8  
Hardwork...Dedication

S/C/G: 156/142/128

Height: 5'6

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxxy511 View Post
And it's okay to be embarrassed. I am too, honestly. No one in my real life knows about my binge-eating or how I'm constantly thinking about food. Actually everyone just thinks I'm "health-conscious". I think that if people knew how much I thought about food, they'd think I was crazy! I agree that it's something to work on! Maybe I'll work on it too!
This really struck a nerve for me! That's exactly how I feel most of the time!

I'm honestly thinking about what I'm going to eat from the moment I wake up till I drift off to sleep at night. All day I'm counting the hours until my next meal and daydreaming about random meals I've had in the past. Who does that?

Friends tell me that I inspire them to eat more healthy meals. While the whole time I'm thinking... "I'm a fraud! You have NO idea how unhealthy my relationship with food is!"

Here's to hoping we all find comfort and support knowing that others share our struggles.
dangerouscurves76 is offline   Reply With Quote